Full frame benefit

yup, i nvr used it too.
i use a simple matin neoprene strap...but...lol

nightwolf75 said:
wow... anyone here remembered the original question? :)

to the TS - bottom line is this: if you are using it for mainly travel and shooting kids, do you want to lug ard a DSLR? as a father of 3, i can tell u it is a pain to lug ard my FF DSLR even on trips to the zoo.... much less travels. have you considered the weight involved? actually, what is wrong with your D80? are you upgrading cos you want to scratch an itch?

for my kids' photos, i did it on a DX camera (D50, D100, D200, D300... think even have a D2H & D1x some where in the photo folder) with a prime lens (mainly 50mm/f1.8 but increasingly, AFD35mm/f2; an oldie but a gem of a lens and far more affordable than the f1.4). with a good lens, you can more or less achieve the same quality as a FF camera like the D600, especially if you are not going to print. even for printing, i have done a 20"x30" with a D50 and 50mm without problems. of course, a FF camera has its own advantages like better (but debatable) high-ISO performance and a half-dozen doodahs that DX cameras don't have (which 70-80% owners dun even know or use). if you are using it for casual purposes, is there a need to blow $2K+++ on a D600?

at the end of the day, look at your budget and your needs. the technicalities are moot unless you are earning from it.

There's nothing wrong with my current D80. It's just that I'm going to give it to my brother who wants to learn photography

Although using it for taking photo of my kids n travel, I'm not using it on casual purposes only, otherwise I will just get point n shoot camera.

That's why I ask what's the benefit of full frame. As I'm basically now not tied to any dx or fx, canon or nikon. It's a complete restart.
And as they're growing now, I have more time to explore n enhance my skill again.

I will only get the body n one lens, then slowly build the lens as required n have the money :)

Hi,
I just joined recently and this my first post :)

Currently I use Nikon D80 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.
Mainly to take pics of my kids and when travel.
I'm thinking to get an upgrade.
I'm considering D7000 and D600.
Some friends recommend to take D600 since it's a full frame camera.
But what's the benefit of being full frame ?
What can be expected when shooting with full frame body compared to cropped body ?

Thanks.

It really depends on your needs. Personally I dread traveling with alot of equipments. FF camera is typically heavier. FF lens are also heavier as well and they are typically bigger. Not to mention the FF body and lens is more expensive as well.

Given that you are using D80. Any of the recent DX body would be a huge improvement.

So if you don't mind weight and has money to spend go FF. else DX is budget alternative.

d600 is relatively small compare to d700/800....close to d7000

24-85vr goes for less than 600 when u buy d600 and it's pretty good, small n light
50mm f1.8D/G is a good lense to get, small n light. on a FX body, the 50mm is so much sweeter to use compare to on a dx body.

latest dslrs cameras that nikon released today are fullframes

D600's iso of H1 and H2 paired with 50mm 1.8D gives you very very very very usable image quality....

There's nothing wrong with my current D80. It's just that I'm going to give it to my brother who wants to learn photography

Although using it for taking photo of my kids n travel, I'm not using it on casual purposes only, otherwise I will just get point n shoot camera.

That's why I ask what's the benefit of full frame. As I'm basically now not tied to any dx or fx, canon or nikon. It's a complete restart.
And as they're growing now, I have more time to explore n enhance my skill again.

I will only get the body n one lens, then slowly build the lens as required n have the money :)

ah.. in that case, regardless of brand, and if money is no object (and no objections from wife...), and since you are more than just a causal shooter, then a FX camera IMO. the biggest benefit for me is that a lens will look the way it is suppose to look without remembering the crop factor. especially for wide angles. we can argue all we want about DX options about WA lenses. but for me, nothing beats using a FX 17mm lens as a 17mm lens. :) also, on FX, the DOF for primes (like the 85mm) gives a different feel on a DX vs FX camera IMO.

wrt the high-ISOs... nowadays, i feel the modern DX cameras (nikons and their new ExSPEED CMOS sensors) are almost on par with FX cameras. yes... we can pixel peep and argue on the minutiae. but for the majority of us who don't print and using it for web display, the comparison between modern DX and FX cameras are virtually moot IMO. the d600 from nikon (and the 6D from canon) are pretty good options now. unless you want to save a penny or two, the older D700/5D/5D2 from canikons are still pretty good options. i believe in investing in lenses cos camera bodies today are tumbling out of the factory faster than ever. today's bodies are tomorrow's junks. lenses are pretty stable cos canikons don't push out lenses that fast.

have fun! there are already lots of options available in buy/sell. why not check it out?

I don't know about you guys, but after all these years, I'm carrying P&S most time now when taking my kids photos or bring the family out traveling. The wife and kids just like those photos w/ background more. They don't really like those photos w/ shallow DOF and blurry background. Besides, it's much easier to carry a good quality P&S camera than dSLR or even an M43 camera w/ lens.

Don't think I'd bring an FF camera for vacation at all. Those are for photo trips or events only - to me at least.

For travel with family, smaller cameras like mirrorless or PnS is still the best. DX's performance can now be matched by APS-C mirrorless cameras too.

But for specific situations where the action is fast and the lighting conditions are still very very challenging, a FX cam will still shine when you need that shot. Question is whether you will need to shoot in that kind of conditions to warrant that extra in spending. In the end, it boils down to needs.

But to say that a DX or m43 can do what the newest top FX cameras can do in every and any situation is also not being realistic. If that is the case, why would pro community even bother to spend so much in FX setups, when DX can do what FX does? Remember working professionals think about pricing and ROI a lot more than hobbyists do.

For travel with family, smaller cameras like mirrorless or PnS is still the best. DX's performance can now be matched by APS-C mirrorless cameras too.

But for specific situations where the action is fast and the lighting conditions are still very very challenging, a FX cam will still shine when you need that shot. Question is whether you will need to shoot in that kind of conditions to warrant that extra in spending. In the end, it boils down to needs.

But to say that a DX or m43 can do what the newest top FX cameras can do in every and any situation is also not being realistic. If that is the case, why would pro community even bother to spend so much in FX setups, when DX can do what FX does? Remember working professionals think about pricing and ROI a lot more than hobbyists do.

I was in the exact same situation as you were when you were in Vietnam for the fire walking ceremony (that jump shot), in super dark condition. What you have mentioned in this thread was actually re-enacted real life to me when I was doing those dark shots.

You appreciate the usefulness of the camera when you are in that kind of situation. I don't know how I would have fared with DX camera, but the ability of the FX camera to snap into focus instantly is something really really useful, and having low noise level is another key :)

Kit said:
The reason why I went with FX is because I use PC-E lenses for my work. Using these lenses on DX cameras defeats their purpose.

Oh yes. I recall my first use of the 24mm PC-E lens on the Nikon D300s - that was fairly pointless. Using it on a FX camera was a revelation!

This like so many threads in yesteryear where which is better DX and FX.

Thanks to all for the information.
This thread has give me more info than I expected.
Also sorry if my question trigger some debating on some points.

I've more or less decided to get D600 with 50mm f1.8 as starting point, will only explore other lens once fully utilised the camera n lens.
Again, thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the information.
This thread has give me more info than I expected.
Also sorry if my question trigger some debating on some points.

I've more or less decided to get D600 with 50mm f1.8 as starting point, will only explore other lens once fully utilised the camera n lens.
Again, thanks for the info

No worries. Passions soar sometimes and voices rise. No biggie. As long as you find out what you needed to know.

As for D600, I would wait a little while if possible. There have been wide reports of excessive dust on sensor. Might be prudent to wait it out for a couple of months at least, till they come out with a counter measure, just like what happened to D7000 when first launched.

As for the 50/1.8 make sure you get the G version.

Enjoy ;)

daredevil123 said:
As for D600, I would wait a little while if possible. There have been wide reports of excessive dust on sensor. Might be prudent to wait it out for a couple of months at least, till they come out with a counter measure, just like what happened to D7000 when first launched.

As for the 50/1.8 make sure you get the G version.

Thinking to get it next year, but quite tempted when seen in another thread that he get $2600 plus freebies in Sitex. Very good deal I think :)

Went there last Friday and ask around about this dust issue. One guy said it mainly affected the USA ones and small parts of Singapore. He mentioned that this is solved in latest batch. Not sure how true it is.

How do we know that problem is solved as nikon still not acknowledge the problem?
In the case of d7000, is it announced or just based on the info of those purchased recently?

Is there big difference between D and G in image quality? I thought the difference only one has built-in motor and the other doesn't.