Full frame benefit

eatang said:
Thinking to get it next year, but quite tempted when seen in another thread that he get $2600 plus freebies in Sitex. Very good deal I think :)

Went there last Friday and ask around about this dust issue. One guy said it mainly affected the USA ones and small parts of Singapore. He mentioned that this is solved in latest batch. Not sure how true it is.

How do we know that problem is solved as nikon still not acknowledge the problem?
In the case of d7000, is it announced or just based on the info of those purchased recently?

Is there big difference between D and G in image quality? I thought the difference only one has built-in motor and the other doesn't.

a tip when buying. do ur research and set a price u willing to pay. when u find someone tht sells u lower or same as the price u set, buy it. after buying, dont go asking price anymore. and dont be affected by people who bought much lower.

Dust on sensor is not an irreversible problem. All it takes is a 5 min swap. Dust will somehow find its way onto sensors, just a matter of time. Avoiding a camera because of dust is like not wanting to drive a car for fear of wearing out the tyres..

Kit said:
Dust on sensor is not an irreversible problem. All it takes is a 5 min swap. Dust will somehow find its way onto sensors, just a matter of time. Avoiding a camera because of dust is like not wanting to drive a car for fear of wearing out the tyres..

i heard tht the dust problem is internal and cant be cleaned by urself. anyone can justify it?

RhysCheng said:
i heard tht the dust problem is internal and cant be cleaned by urself. anyone can justify it?

Yes, it is internal issue, just google and read on D600 dust, then you will understand the root cause. Cleaning the sensor yourself will risk scratching the sensor as there might be metal dust on the sensor.

Seems like the spot/dust problem is getting into a frenzy state in forums all over the world. My suggestion is to "run-in" your camera, then send it for sensor cleaning (or clean oneself) after approx 3000 shots. Most likely no (or very few) new spots thereafter. That was my experience with my D800. Have fun :)

RhysCheng said:

It can but I don't recommend doing yourself if you aren't experienced in it. You don't wanna void the warranty by accidentally scratching the sensor.

It's nikon's problem and they are obligated to do it.

eatang said:
Is there big difference between D and G in image quality? I thought the difference only one has built-in motor and the other doesn't.

Yes. IQ is much better in the G version.

Seems like the spot/dust problem is getting into a frenzy state in forums all over the world. My suggestion is to "run-in" your camera, then send it for sensor cleaning (or clean oneself) after approx 3000 shots. Most likely no (or very few) new spots thereafter. That was my experience with my D800. Have fun :)

Based on what little I have read on engadget, the dust is not usual dust and some suspect it has to do with the shutter curtain being scratched?

If that is so, then perhaps this suggestion should be taken up, even though the usual wet cleaning method after blower should probably not scratch your sensor. Nevertheless, better to be safe than sorry. Logically speaking, I don't think Nikon would have overlooked it to the extent where the scratches continue infinitely.

Based on what little I have read on engadget, the dust is not usual dust and some suspect it has to do with the shutter curtain being scratched?

If that is so, then perhaps this suggestion should be taken up, even though the usual wet cleaning method after blower should probably not scratch your sensor. Nevertheless, better to be safe than sorry. Logically speaking, I don't think Nikon would have overlooked it to the extent where the scratches continue infinitely.
I am surprised it's getting scratched at all. I guess their assembly line needs to lower their tolerances when they put the thing together. ;)

The suspect source of the "dust" is the metal bracket around the sensor that is being scratched. Not the shutter blades.

The suspect source of the "dust" is the metal bracket around the sensor that is being scratched. Not the shutter blades.

I'm referring to the first theory in the article on Petapixel (oops, not Engadget) here: Theory: Nikon D600 Sensor Dust Problem Caused by Scratches in the Mirror Box?

Shutter curtain, sorry, not shutter blades. Not very familiar with anatomy of DSLRs, actually... Hope the name is correct. I don't even understand how the movement can cause dust in either case actually. Shutter curtain piece rubbing against shutter curtain piece causes paint to strip? Not very sure if I've gotten the right idea.

You are talking about the second theory mentioned in the link?

Last edited:
dun worry, keep shooting.

most reports n pics hv the dust showing when they shoot at very big aperature value like f16 above.

i was initially worried abt this, but heck it and i drop my $ on the d600 and am enjoying it now.
if i keep worrying abt it, endless....

ppl say it's from wear n tear dust, then switch to continuous shooting mode and let it wear lor.
then send to SC for cleaning

dun worry, keep shooting.

most reports n pics hv the dust showing when they shoot at very big aperature value like f16 above.

i was initially worried abt this, but heck it and i drop my $ on the d600 and am enjoying it now.
if i keep worrying abt it, endless....

ppl say it's from wear n tear dust, then switch to continuous shooting mode and let it wear lor.
then send to SC for cleaning

Most landscape shooters would be damn sian cloning out all the spots, F/16 will be a quite common aperture value used..

edutilos- said:
Most landscape shooters would be damn sian cloning out all the spots, F/16 will be a quite common aperture value used..

I shoot landscapes and my most commonly used aperture is f/8. Sometimes I stop down to f/11, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Either case, I expect dust to be visible.

I shoot landscapes and my most commonly used aperture is f/8. Sometimes I stop down to f/11, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Either case, I expect dust to be visible.

If you shoot during the daytime and use ND110, sometimes if there are no clouds you will need to get to F/16 to extend the exposure long enough for those typical long exposure photos (30 seconds upwards). :)

ya, sometimes i use the smallest aperture available when i do Long exposure.. so the lesser dust, the better.. haha..

btw, i never wet wash my 500d after 3 years.. i think the nikon really need to fix the issue before ppl will buy with confidence.. afterall dslr are never cheap... they are still alot who can't afford even the lowest end dslr

just my humble opinion.. peace

edutilos- said:
If you shoot during the daytime and use ND110, sometimes if there are no clouds you will need to get to F/16 to extend the exposure long enough for those typical long exposure photos (30 seconds upwards). :)

Ah! I see!

I'm referring to the first theory in the article on Petapixel (oops, not Engadget) here: Theory: Nikon D600 Sensor Dust Problem Caused by Scratches in the Mirror Box?

Shutter curtain, sorry, not shutter blades. Not very familiar with anatomy of DSLRs, actually... Hope the name is correct. I don't even understand how the movement can cause dust in either case actually. Shutter curtain piece rubbing against shutter curtain piece causes paint to strip? Not very sure if I've gotten the right idea.

You are talking about the second theory mentioned in the link?

Yup. The 2nd one is a lot more widely reported from Taiwan to China to USA...

Another theory is the very large slot for the shutter curtain, and the movement causing a motion of air.

Yet another one theory that has been disproved was that it was oil like the D7000, but now verified it is not.

Last edited: