Epson vs Canon: Clogging, Ink cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Davy,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Epson printers... btw, are you talking about UK or Singapore dealers?

For your question about choosing between the Canon iP4000 or iP5000, I believe you can check out the discussion at http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=111922

Hi Neo
Many thanks for the info, will have a look at the site right now. The printer was purchased in the UK, and was a local Epson agent and has nothing to do with them now, never got to know why, but geuss one can read between the lines so to speak.
Cheers and thanks again for the info.

I own a epson 800 and it was clogged one day. I bring it down to the service center and was told that they wouldn't service it and I was ask to purchase another model, at a discount rate as my 800 trade in for $10 (Forget liao but very small amount)

In the end, I throw away the printer. Very sad that time as I hardly print n spend $500 on it. Since then, I never get a printer as I hardly print.

POV, a printer is useful when you got project which in need on it else most of us who take photos, will be sending to lab for process. We aren't pro n so do the printer. So, we better left it to the pro to do the job. Btw, epson print head is build in while canon is on the cartidge. So, buy canon if u hardly print. ;)

Hi BBTM,

Just a minor note of correction... only HP and Lexmark have printheads on their ink cartridges. Canon and Epson have printheads on the printer, but the difference is that Epson's printhead is integrated into the printer and requires the service centre to replace, while Canon's printhead is designed to be replaced by the user using a simple flip lock.

Neo said:
Hi BBTM,

Just a minor note of correction... only HP and Lexmark have printheads on their ink cartridges. Canon and Epson have printheads on the printer, but the difference is that Epson's printhead is integrated into the printer and requires the service centre to replace, while Canon's printhead is designed to be replaced by the user using a simple flip lock.

I see. I thought only Epson got their print head in their printer only. Seem like Canon is having a better design than Epson. I think that if service, it wouldn't be cheap and still have to carry it down. :( Anyway, thanks for the info.

BBTM said:
I own a epson 800 and it was clogged one day. I bring it down to the service center and was told that they wouldn't service it and I was ask to purchase another model, at a discount rate as my 800 trade in for $10 (Forget liao but very small amount)

In the end, I throw away the printer. Very sad that time as I hardly print n spend $500 on it. Since then, I never get a printer as I hardly print.

POV, a printer is useful when you got project which in need on it else most of us who take photos, will be sending to lab for process. We aren't pro n so do the printer. So, we better left it to the pro to do the job. Btw, epson print head is build in while canon is on the cartidge. So, buy canon if u hardly print. ;)

Are you sure ?

I'm also an Epson printer user! :) Currently owned an Epson R210 printer and so far so good although I seldom do home printing.I Find the colour print better than Canon. Used to own an old model canon printer. Use third party refill ink and clogging starts. Anyway that's years ago.

Actually was deciding whether Epson or canon printer but ultimately chose Epson for the slightly cheaper ink catridges (did a comparison) and the slightly better quality printouts even though have heard about the bad clogging problem.

So guess if want to buy printer, buy the R series?! :)

Epson with CIS Ink from Inkstation
In case you are using the Epson... what are your settings?

I have found, for my Epson 790 anyway, that to get the best colors, I need to do the following in CS....
1) Convert to sRGB profile in CS
2) Print with preview - profile = sRGB IEC61966-2.1
3) Print - Properties set as below:

790prop.jpg

advanced.jpg

Works for glossy coated papers. Quite close to my calibrated LCDs...
Com'on! Share your settings for better outputs...
;)

Slim said:
I'm also an Epson printer user! :) Currently owned an Epson R210 printer and so far so good although I seldom do home printing.I Find the colour print better than Canon. Used to own an old model canon printer. Use third party refill ink and clogging starts. Anyway that's years ago.

Actually was deciding whether Epson or canon printer but ultimately chose Epson for the slightly cheaper ink catridges (did a comparison) and the slightly better quality printouts even though have heard about the bad clogging problem.

So guess if want to buy printer, buy the R series?! :)

:thumbsup:

Watcher said:
Actually, the old Epson does have the clogging problem. I own a 830; I know. However, with the current R200/R300, there has been no issue at all. I had left it turned off for > 1 month and left it turned on for 3 weeks, no prob to print immediately; no flushing needed at all! :D My room is a haven for dust bunnies BTW as it is on the 2nd floor and next to the road.

Check with the other R200/R300 owners and see how many of them has clogging problem...
mine didn't clog, ever,
since last aug.

but now it says some parts inside is at end of cycle life
and must be changed and it simply won't start.
out of action for 3 days as its Good Friday,
waiting to hear what Epson has to say tomorrow.
never know its so advanced that it will insist
u do maintenance.

anyone else with this experience?

Well, soon after I started this thread (months ago), I bought a Canon pixma 8500. Print quality was OK. No blocked heads so far. Ink usage I suspect is slightly cheaper than Epson so far. The sperperate ink tank system is brilliant.

However, I find that the prints do indeed fade easily when exposed to direct sunlight after about a month. In my office, they last much longer. Still look fine.

Since then, thanks to another thread, I found out about a photolab near my Bukit Batok flat that was well reviewed. I tried out their service and am very happy.

Compared to my Canon prints, they are cheaper, more vivid, and longer lasting. Now regretting about spending $500 on a printer. I could have gotten a cheaper one for that odd 'emergency' where I need an immediate print, and send most of my stuff to the shop instead.

A professional 4R print (27c) costs half of inkjet paper+ink.
An 8R print at $2.5 is still probably cheaper than the inkjet price.

Kuo Ann

Selling quality compatible Canon Ink cartridges with ISO 9001 Certifications.

$5 each for color cartridges and $7 for the black for the below mentioned.

BCI-3e BK/C/M/Y
BCI-6e BK/C/M/Y/PC

$7 each for color cartridges and $7 for the black.

BCI-11C
BCI-11B
BCI-24B
BCI-24C

If you buy one set

One Set of BCI-3e C/M/Y or
One Set of BCI-6e C/M/Y or
One Set of BCI-6e C/M/Y/PC

One black cartridge will be given free to you.

Or

2x BCI 11C and B or
2x BCI 24C and B

Each one will be priced at $5.

Collections will be at MRT Stations. If you buy more I will deliver to you. Please sms or call me at (9452)-(2168).

limlien said:
Selling quality compatible Canon Ink cartridges with ISO 9001 Certifications.

Sorry... how is ISO9001 certification related to ink quality... just curious to know.... ;p

Zplus said:
Sorry... how is ISO9001 certification related to ink quality... just curious to know.... ;p

I think you know more then i know to be able to ask this.

It is a set of international practise or procedures that have to implemented to ensure that quality is follow. (My opinion)

Let me ask you back, Have you ever seen any other 3rd party cartridge willing to spend on this certifications?

For the same amt spend, aint it better to spend on one that at the very least did the best to ensure you get a better end product?

limlien said:
I think you know more then i know to be able to ask this.

It is a set of international practise or procedures that have to implemented to ensure that quality is follow. (My opinion)

Let me ask you back, Have you ever seen any other 3rd party cartridge willing to spend on this certifications?

For the same amt spend, aint it better to spend on one that at the very least did the best to ensure you get a better end product?

OOps! No intention to flame you... and I hope you didn't feel that way... ;p

Was just trying to see the connection between iso9001 and ink quality... since ink quality is related to consistant tones and longetivity... which iso9001 does not cover.... but of course I agree that if a company have gone thro the trouble of getting iso9001 certified, then it has at least shown some commitment to get its processes right. However, the certification goes to the company and not the ink.

The price is OK, but I am sure many would like to see the ink quality first hand. Maybe if you can have a demo for clubsnappers, it would greatly help in your marketing efforts. Maybe at SEED??

I know of one good photog who imports his own black inks to mix, so that his printer (all color inks replaced by blacks) can be a dedicated black and white printer. So I am sure we are all for quality over price.

Cheers! And all the best. ;)

Zplus said:
OOps! No intention to flame you... and I hope you didn't feel that way... ;p

Was just trying to see the connection between iso9001 and ink quality... since ink quality is related to consistant tones and longetivity... which iso9001 does not cover.... but of course I agree that if a company have gone thro the trouble of getting iso9001 certified, then it has at least shown some commitment to get its processes right. However, the certification goes to the company and not the ink.

The price is OK, but I am sure many would like to see the ink quality first hand. Maybe if you can have a demo for clubsnappers, it would greatly help in your marketing efforts. Maybe at SEED??

I know of one good photog who imports his own black inks to mix, so that his printer (all color inks replaced by blacks) can be a dedicated black and white printer. So I am sure we are all for quality over price.

Cheers! And all the best. ;)

Heh... i dunno how to demo as you will need all of the same cartridge for the brand to have a constant effect.

But i can maybe help to print out on a normal a4 paper a pic you want to see with the cartridge in my printer lor.. keke..

hee..

limlien said:
Heh... i dunno how to demo as you will need all of the same cartridge for the brand to have a constant effect.

But i can maybe help to print out on a normal a4 paper a pic you want to see with the cartridge in my printer lor.. keke..

hee..

Hahahaa..... quite true also.... unless its at SITEX or something... it can be quite troublesome... :)

Thanks.

BBTM said:
I see. I thought only Epson got their print head in their printer only. Seem like Canon is having a better design than Epson. I think that if service, it wouldn't be cheap and still have to carry it down. :( Anyway, thanks for the info.

Yep.. Since the days of the BJ2xx printers.. The printheads are user replacable. The tri-colour and black cartridges simply snap-in and the printhead can be taken out by flipping the latch up.
I remember that in those days, the black or tri-colour cartridges cost about $20+ each. And you could get a printhead set with 1 black and 1 tri-colour cartridge for about $60+.
Alternatively, they had the black only large capacity cartridge with built-in printhead for mass printing documents.

Candylove said:
Hi brothers, if u need any ink cartridge feel free to email me @ jenyeosc@singnet.com.sg

Hope to be a service to you.

Wah... You like bao-kar-liao.. From memory cards to ink cartridges also got lobang.. LOL...

Toner cartridge got lobang or not? Will be getting a laser printer for uni. printing.. LOL..

Status
Not open for further replies.