Epson vs Canon: Clogging, Ink cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuoann

Mar 30, 2004
Having owned 3 Epson Photo Printers and currently owning a Epson 890, I feel EXACTLY like the writer of this article... :angry:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1297903,00.html

I reckon I waste 10x the amount of ink on head cleaning than actual printing, cussing out loud each time the darned printer clogs.

I'm on the cusp of buying a new printer and have sworn off ever buying another Epson even under duress of life and limb.

Can anyone advise on the track record of Canon printers with regards to how frequently the heads clog? In particular, I'm considering the Pixma IP5000.

Thanks!
Kuo Ann

---------------
Who can afford the luxury of an ink-jet printer?

Michele Hanson
Monday September 6, 2004
The Guardian

How foolish Rosemary and I were to buy modestly priced Epson printers without checking the price of cartridges. A few measly droplets of ink will now cost us £21.99. Much more than blood. But who would think to carry out an in-depth investigation before purchasing a printer? Not us, because although we have endured scoundrelly car mechanics, gardeners, builders and plumbers, we always clung to the belief that not all tradespersons are robbers. Until now, so we have a little moan at the shopkeeper.
"Join the queue," says he, because half the world has already complained and he too is enraged by Epson. Although his little shop sells £10,000's worth of ink a month and is one of a chain of hundreds of shops selling squillions of cartridges between them, the very grand Epson persons cannot be bothered to deal with him directly. He must go grovelling to the wholesaler. Up goes the price another notch, and Rosemary and I must pay an arm and two legs for our tiny squirts of ink.

I run home and stick my platinum- and jewel-encrusted cartridge into my crap printer, but nothing happens. No printed words come out. While I was running around searching for bargain cartridges, the wretched thing dried up. Now the heads must be cleaned, by squirting ink through them at several pounds a droplet, and by the time printing resumes, three-quarters of my liquid gold has gone.

Daughter prints 30 pages of dissertation, first draft, and up pops a yellow warning. I must buy more ink. What? So soon? Back to the shop, quick, before the stinker dries up again. How trade must be booming for the greedy cartridge makers, now that dissertation time is here. I ring for an explanation. How many pages should my cartridge print?

"The industry standard," says the Epson Explainer, "assuming 5% print cover per sheet, is 400 pages, but only if it's one continuous print job." What does that mean to the average girlie scribe tapping out her little stories? "It means 5% cover." Clear as bilge water.

I hear that the European parliament voted 580 to 8 that people should not design products that cannot be re-used. Our leaders thought this an excellent idea, but not for ink-jet and laser cartridges. Do they consider money more important than our environment? Is something fishy going on? Surely not.

Heheeh... Yeah Epson printers are known to clog IF you don't print them often. If you do a nozzle test once a day or two it should be fine.

Canon printers hardly clog. Supposedly the canon ink tends to fade faster. But kept enclosed, its fine.

I heard its due to the head designs. Epson is piezo electric crystals while Canon is heated ink.
:)

kuoann said:
Having owned 3 Epson Photo Printers and currently owning a Epson 890, I feel EXACTLY like the writer of this article... :angry:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1297903,00.html

The problem is that you don't print for 1 week, the Epson will eventually clog, you spend lots of ink running the cleaning cycle 2-3 times. However, after the 1st clog, the Epson becomes more prone to clogging in the future, so after the 1st clog, you're going to use the cleaning cycle more frequently, i.e. more ink flushed away...

After my first Epson Photo printer I switched to Canon (save money, buy obsolete models like the 900 series) If you print only once a week you won't have any clogging problems.

note - Maybe professional Epson printers like 2100/4000 don't have the same problems as their consumers models.

Actually, the old Epson does have the clogging problem. I own a 830; I know. However, with the current R200/R300, there has been no issue at all. I had left it turned off for > 1 month and left it turned on for 3 weeks, no prob to print immediately; no flushing needed at all! :D My room is a haven for dust bunnies BTW as it is on the 2nd floor and next to the road.

Check with the other R200/R300 owners and see how many of them has clogging problem...

Hi,
I use a Canon S820 at home and a Canon S830 at work.
Both printers can go days between used and I have never had any problems.

The one at home is on 24 hours a day (no startup cleaning)
The one at work is turned on only when used.

As I say, "no problems with either"

Cheers :)

I'm not sure abt newer Epson models as my 1st experience with one 6yrs ago left with such a bad taste in my mouth (even though it was my classmate and the head clogged up at the most critical moment - when we're rushing for a project!) dat I swore off Epson printers.

Using a Canon now. My gripe is abt the slight fading prints. But I believe that will be rectified in time. Which ink doesn't fade? ;)

wait till you own a Lexmark.

It will be cheaper to buy a new printer than the refills.

good to hear that R series doesn't clog.

With gloss optimiser, the gloss problem of ultrachrome has been solved so maybe i'll consider R800 or the A3 equivalent when it comes out (provided Epson Singapore doesn't overcharge like it did for the 2100/2200).

I'll still use a Canon printer for rough printing since Canon consumables still seem to be cheaper

My Canon i560 is a great workhorse. I use it daily at work, and was so happy with it I got one for home as well. The one at home is used maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Neither gets clogged, and even if you get clogging, the print head is replaceable!

Photos are good quality to my eyes. Colours are bright, and with 3rd party paper you even get a sepia effect if you print in B&W! Beyond a certain level, any difference in resolution and colour fidelity is marginal, if you ask me.

It's also very fast, and makes a great office printer, replacing my laserjet which died after 5 years.

Having said that, I only use it to print photos if I need them urgently, like to give away or something. Otherwise I much prefer to print at the photo-finishing shops like Digipro. Convenient, cheap and much better quality than I will ever get from an inkjet.

I've had Epsons and HP before. Both very high consumables cost, especially HP, which has the printhead built into each cartridge. Canon's ThinkTank system is great.

I think it's just the older generation of printers (no matter what brand) which tend to clog more often. My old Canon S530 used to always clog if I didn't print with it for a while.

I've been an Epson faithful since dot-matrix days, proceeding to the very 1st generation ESC, then ESC Photo, and now ESC 890. With each successive upgrade, the clogging has gotten worse. My 890 is so bad that it will clog the very next day after cleaning/using it.

My theory: narrower calibre nozzles--> more easily clogged.
Also, as someone mentioned, the clogging problem seems to start after the printer reaches a certain age and therafter progressively becomes more frequent.

Anyway, I'm not about to give them a 4th chance to get it right, even if they gave me the printer for free. They know and we know the real money is in the consumables. I doubt they will sort the problem out in the current models. Why should they?

Well, it's good to hear from you Canon users that the Canon printers seem to clog much less.

Now, what to do with my ESC 890? I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

jsbn said:
I'm not sure abt newer Epson models as my 1st experience with one 6yrs ago left with such a bad taste in my mouth (even though it was my classmate and the head clogged up at the most critical moment - when we're rushing for a project!) dat I swore off Epson printers.

Using a Canon now. My gripe is abt the slight fading prints. But I believe that will be rectified in time. Which ink doesn't fade? ;)
My sympathy on the clog... I too was quite irritated ;( But to base your decision on your experience 6 years ago, on digital products... :think:

Which ink doesn't fade? Try Epson's Ultrachrome pigment series. Rated by Wilhelm to last >150 (displayed under non-UV glass) with Epson heavy matt paper, it last long enough for me. Read the test for R800

erwinx said:
With gloss optimiser, the gloss problem of ultrachrome has been solved so maybe i'll consider R800 or the A3 equivalent when it comes out (provided Epson Singapore doesn't overcharge like it did for the 2100/2200).

I'll still use a Canon printer for rough printing since Canon consumables still seem to be cheaper
Yeah... Epson, are you listening? The R800 is so expensive here! ;(

Injet printers print heads will clog if it is not used long time. Regardless of canon or epson or HP, this is the same situation. For HP, simply change to a new cartridges when the ink heads are clog (look at it, how much is 1 cartridges)

For "popularity" wise, canon and epson are the head to toe competitors. Canon branding sounds aloud in the commerical market while epson are keeping within their boundries.

For printing wise, epson and canon prints out good. canon ink seems to be the one finishes faster than epson. Epson ink cartridges are cheaper.

Have been a happy Canon printer user for many years now and still very happy with a Canon. Thought of getting an Epson but based on my dated impression of the older series, it's just too problematic and the ink cartridges too outrageously ex to be a viable solution.

However, the latest R series have definitely wowed me with its print quality. So tempting to get an A3 Epson. ;p Only when the print pays for itself, that is.

Jeff said:
However, the latest R series have definitely wowed me with its print quality. So tempting to get an A3 Epson. ;p Only when the print pays for itself, that is.
The replacement for 2100 (A3 printer) is already out in Japan for oh 3 months now... Wait for the international version soon, allegedly in Mar/Apr... :cool:

well i have 2 epson patients before , the first one is epson 400 and second is 670. Both of died due to severe cardio pulimary artery clogging, never attempt to infuse these patients with unoriginal blood or else the heart will seize..., my feeble attempts to clear the arteries using advanced ballon angioplasty with magic clean failed utterly
(see here for procedure http://www.eddiem.com/photo/printer/unclog/unclog.html)buying the original blood to revive the patients is burning a big hole in ur pocket..and finally I gave up and got myself a canon pixma.

Very funny :bsmilie:
Angioplasty... streptokinase... nope, I think we've got a flatliner. But then again, its no point resusitating our old Epsons anymore.

I just bought myself a Canon Pixma last weekend. What a change to see transparent, individual ink cartridges!

marlin said:
well i have 2 epson patients before , the first one is epson 400 and second is 670. Both of died due to severe cardio pulimary artery clogging, never attempt to infuse these patients with unoriginal blood or else the heart will seize..., my feeble attempts to clear the arteries using advanced ballon angioplasty with magic clean failed utterly

Hi Marin and Kuoann,

Welcome to the family of Canon printer users here! :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Think Tanks system (that was what attracted me to Canon 4 years ago from Epson). The fact that the photo printing quality now rivals or better Epson in some aspects is a welcome plus point too...

Keep those prints coming... one of the aspects of the joy in photography is to keep great prints of your best images.

IMHO, i think epson clogs so readily becos they use pgiment inks?
coupled with the race to produce the smallest ink drop thus narrowing the ink dispensing nozzle..

I own a C63 and I must agree.. the head clogs bad.. i seldom print.. and when i do.. the first print is always a waste...

I just bought my girlfriend an iP1500 (cheapest printer to offer 2pl droplets..) loaded an unprocessed pic from a camera(20D). used a 3rd party glossy paper and...

*TEST FIRE! TEST FIRE!*

woah.. great print man..:bigeyes:

Now i'm tempted to switch over to canon. Maybe consider the iP5000, 2 pay days down... :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.