Delhi to Ladakh rejoiced (H series)

i am not sure what happened here, but it looks very posterised, like a lot of details were squeezed out from the photo.

wat is meant by posterised?

actually i have allowed quite some portion to be blown so there isn't really shadow details to retreived.

i check out the meaning and saw the examples.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/posterised/

but mine dun seem to have that posterisation. but in a way, if you are saying about patches of white adjacent to areas of colors, they are indeed blown highlights.

wat is meant by posterised?

actually i have allowed quite some portion to be blown so there isn't really shadow details to retreived.

like, when you do extensive highlight recovery on an overexposed photo, if you get what i mean.

the details start blending together. maybe it's my imagination. but anyways, i don't quite like the hazey feel here.

like, when you do extensive highlight recovery on an overexposed photo, if you get what i mean.

the details start blending together. maybe it's my imagination. but anyways, i don't quite like the hazey feel here.

i didn't know blown highlight can be recovered extensively. but touching the faint colors next to the blown highlight does cause that posterization in a way, i know. but the orginal picture is already like that.

anyway, i got a few hazy shots (yet to post), which i somehow kind of like as a variance, such as #2.

anyway, i got a few hazy shots (yet to post), which i somehow kind of like as a variance, such as #2.

yes, i agree that haze can work.. one of my favourite photos is the haziest i have ever seen..

and i remember this guy looking like he was praying in one of your previous threads, that one, the similar haze look works very well there.. :) it doesn't work so well here though.. i feel that without it, the photo will be better.you seem to be doing a lot more "into the sun" shots than before. the people shots are excellent, as usual. :)

yes, i agree that haze can work.. one of my favourite photos is the haziest i have ever seen..

and i remember this guy looking like he was praying in one of your previous threads, that one, the similar haze look works very well there.. :) it doesn't work so well here though.. i feel that without it, the photo will be better.you seem to be doing a lot more "into the sun" shots than before. the people shots are excellent, as usual. :)

perhaps those are really hazy and smoky shots. my take here is not really hazy, but rather flares, which are patchy. and yah, they are into the sun shots. like i always say, i'm not a low light person due to poor vision (my friend introduce me a eye piece magnifier but i think i will still benefit from a camera body upgrade) so i'm increasingly shooting in strong lighting, and playing with backlit or quarter backlit subjects.

DSC_1804gafjrs.jpg

Basgo fort encircled. there is also a nearby gompa which we went in.

quoted from someone else's website.
"Basgo is situated about 40 km west of Leh, along the way to Srinagar. It is known for its castle ruin and the adjoining royal temples spectacularly located on the rocks. The complex of buildings includes a ruined fortress dating from 15th century as well as two large temples and a small shrine. The best preserved temple is situated at very top with the shrine dedicated to Chamba or Maitreya.. It was built in the mid 16th century by Tshe-wang Namgyal, the rular of Ladakh. There are several original wall murals to see. Below the forts and temples are the small pretty villages."

DSC_1804gafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_1060gafjrs.jpg

taken below a signboard where a little space provided the top and bottom frame of the little alley from the main bazaar in leh. managed to squeeze in an unsuspecting soul within the frame till only her eyes is seen.

DSC_1060gafjrb.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_1120gafjrs.jpg

another vegetable seller on the streets of leh

DSC_1120gafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0582gafjrs.jpg

one of the many mountains that we pass by near darcha (or dercha) along the route from keylong to sarchu. poor at composition but intrigued by the patterns. there is also scale of comparison with the little trees and scrubs at the bottom compared to the height of the mountains.

DSC_0582gafjr.jpg

Last edited:
zoossh,
looks like you had an awesome time. Nice photos, as usual :thumbsup:

#5 looks quite artificial to me and heavily processed.

#7 is probably the one I like most in this series so far. Great capture.
The landscapes too are very beautiful.

Looking forward to more :D

I love viewing all your work. #7 is super :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#5 looks quite artificial to me and heavily processed.

yup, it looks like an in-studio lighting when i first saw the results and share with my mates. the processing is as shown in an earlier post.

#7 is probably the one I like most in this series so far. Great capture.

walk arounds offer more surprise elements than targeted subjects. this shot is taken on the way back to the exit of the deer park, after i almost lost my way.

DSC_1366gafjrs.jpg

asterixsg, this one is for you (ok, didn't notice the plasticky reflection till the photo is on the screen, can't rid of it).
Olivier Follmi and Danielle Pons from France. not a trekker and no time, unfortunately, no zanskar.

DSC_1366gafjr.jpg

Quoted from Olivier Follmi's website,
Photography, a way to exhange?

"I love photography as it allows me to approach others and communicate by the simple signs of complicity. I put everything into taking a photograph and bringing out the best in someone. Feeling honoured, that person will naturally give in exchange. So, a meeting, an exchange has taken place.

When I arrive in a village, I never have my camera over my shoulder. My material is in a back-pack. I go and sit somewhere in the centre of the village, and, when a child comes near, I do a few magic tricks. My box of magic tricks is also part of my photo equipment. I love magic as it gives me the possibility of offering something that is instantly simple, real and marvellous. Little by little the village people surround me. Everyone has great fun. Sometimes it goes on for hours. I always get a kick out of it. It’s only when my tricks have been repeated and repeated, ten times over, that I think about taking any photos.

The photo then becomes a continuation of the magic, the last scene in my play. And everyone wants a part in the show, with the village taking centre stage. You can’t tell the actors from the spectators. So photography helps my way into the heart of life.

Before photographing someone that I pass along my way, I spend some time with them, I become immersed in them, then, with their consent, I photograph them. So, the photo becomes a link. I then take it a step further by immortalising the moment with an instant photo. I instantly add the joy of giving to the magic of the picture that appears. My photographic preferences are to photograph the radiant or altruistic side of man. I like creating symbolic pictures that reveal the intensity of a moment shared. I don’t take photos without contemplating them beforehand. If a spontaneous scene moves me, I drink it in. And later, when the emotion has passed, then I recreate it, naturally.

I love photography as it allows me to live freely and to approach all men, without any prejudice.."​

Last edited:
DSC_0085gafjrs.jpg

fallen rainbow. taken at mandhi, near manali, under the scorching sun. The cone shaped roof of the nearby building built on the little hill reminds me of the scindhu ghat in varanasi.

DSC_0085gafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_3013gafjrs.jpg

a herd of himalayan pashmina goat near khardung village.

DSC_3013gafjr.jpg

Last edited: