Delhi to Ladakh rejoiced (H series)

DSC_0359fcfjrs.jpg

peaks seen from keylong; trying to find the names of the peaks still and only found a round hump called the lady of keylong, and obviously not what i'm seeing here.

DSC_0359fcfjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_9744gafjrs.jpg

a moment of interplay between the sisters (i guess) taken at hadimba temple, manali. but i think it is best done as a series of sequence as below (different white balance). compositionally not very good and cropped out of no choice (i normally do not crop) as i do not have the reach. but it is quite a good candid as i'm pretty happy with the attentive expression in the younger sister's eyes full of trust and reliance.

DSC_9744gafjr.jpg

DSC_9740scombined.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_1830fcfjrs.jpg

some of us decided that it is better to allow the jeep to bring us up the basgo fort (the old fort of lower ladakh) but to walk down individually to savour the right vantage to shoot back at the fort.

one of the guys managed to intercept a few school girls who actually climb up the rocky tracks up the steep slope (next to the road) instead of walking on the gently sloped motor pathway, near some stupas, and seeing that, i actually backtracked about 100-300m panting my way and luckily they ain't tired of being shot, just a little shy. i managed to steal a few side shots while my friend got the frontal shot. it is a little bright, so i adjusted my EV compensation to add another 2/3 stop. retrospectively, i could have push to 1 to 1.3 stop for optimal results, but there is no time to fidget around with that, and it is never easy to just get the exposure spot on.

DSC_1830fcfjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_2166fcfjrs.jpg

taken enroute from rizong to leh, passing by the indus river at an unknown location. the sun set and good that the photo kaki noted that while i'm daydreaming or sleeping. little hesistation is being made to say hey, let's stop and catch it. our driver gladly say yes, despite of it really getting dark, and well, fortunately we are not too far from leh (probably just half an hour)

lucky for me to note two things. one is to convert back from ISO 1600 to 200 when i realised after 2/3 of the shots (i turned off the auto ISO as i find it restricting and there is no fast manual over-ride). another thing is to invite our driver, ringchen, to pose within frame, which is actually my last shot. this last shot turn out to be my favorite for the sunset series.

it would be quite unbelievable that it is so dark but i can handheld at ISO200. but anyway the shot is taken in low key with EV-2.7 stops, managed to retain the highlight details and not lost too much details to shadows. shutter duration 1/125s at 10mm is many times more than enough for anyone to handheld.

by the way, if i have failed in my composition, there is actually a river at the bottom, unfortunately cut across by one of the road border block that probably wrote the remaining km towards leh.

DSC_2166fcfjr.jpg

Last edited:
Zoosh,
your shots never fail to impress me. Thanks for sharing.

Question, this shot uusing GND?

i can't fully remember but i suspect i didn't. this is taken at tele and i usually left the hood on and dun add the filter. the original shows slight gradient already with the top of the sky largely similar to the middle of the sky while the bottom of the sky is slightly brighter. i did darken the top in photoshop but now i think it is probably redundant. the light is going down with the afterglow, so by right there is no strong needs for grad filters.

That's fast by ur usual standards..
Back fr the trip and uploaded a number of shots aredi...

Great shots.. Especially like these two.. I guess for the first one is due to my liking for mountains.. and the 2nd is the pleasing colour and naturalness of the two girls..

DSC_0359fcfjr.jpg

DSC_4136fcfjr.jpg

Still sore that I couldn't join u guys.. can u all try to make it a little more within the sch holidays period next time.. haha..

the landscape portion is painful though. long hours of travel and cracking headache from altitude sickness.
I perfectly understand, hehe ;)

The pic below certainly has potential, though I don't quite understand why you need to do all the stuff you mention.... Should expose longer for longer trails...

below picture is my probably best attempt, at keylong (can't remember hotel name, something like delykin....??) and shooting while the moon lit the snow peaks.

DSC_0401fcfjr.jpg

to share what my friend taught me physically as well as to reiterate all the online readings, first of all, star trails can only be done where there is a lot of visible stars, and secondly relatively free from stray light pollution, usually overseas. avoiding these light pollution partially relies on your ability to frame them away.

to shoot star trail, one has to know where it revolves around. for that, i dunno but i just follow. if u have no one to follow, shoot first then adjust. anyway, the viewfinder is in complete darkness and framing requires multiple tries and adjustment too (while altering the setting). the shooting of cos will require a tripod on steady ground, using a remote control while setting to bulb mode (check your manual, usually is to set exposure to manual and push shutter duration setting over 30s for nikon).

the next step is to set the exposure at the highest ISO and an intermediate aperture of say maybe f/8 to f/11 for a duration of 1min. this gives a test shot of the amount of exposure from the frame. from there, one can decrease the ISO to decrease the exposure or increase the aperture to increase the exposure.

after a suitable amount of exposure is determined. the ISO and aperture can be further adjusted to gives a longer exposure (low ISO and small aperture) while noting that low ISO improves noise control while large aperture gives thicker (and in my opinion nicer) star trails. the maximum duration allowable for some nikon models is 1hr or 30mins with in-camera noise reduction (30mins exposure + 30mins in camera processing).

a few points i have noted, is the frame intensity may keep changing due to the moon (it does moves at night or may be covered by clouds at times) or due to reframing. second point i have noted is having a single stop ND filter might be handy as a two stop ND filter can be a little too tough due to the time limit of the camera.

the original picture is done at the appropriate timing and lighting when it is turning dark but not very dark. it is underexposed from matrix metering at -1.3EV which does help in the colors of the sky. a 2 stop grad ND filter helps to maintain the dark sky while the foreground colors will not be too dark. lastly, i alter a little on the levels (similar to curves or more easy to understand, the amount of "blackness" and "brightness"). no saturation or contrast function is being applied becos the two photoshop function usually ruin more details than levels does.

the below is before enhancement (direct jpg output) and after enhancement (from raw),

wow! I saw the post from redoxsim where you were setting up for this shot. that picture of the house compared to this is worlds apart. it goes to show the level of understanding and control you have in photography. to acheive such colours, lighting and details without so little post processing is just astounding. thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I perfectly understand, hehe ;)

The pic below certainly has potential, though I don't quite understand why you need to do all the stuff you mention.... Should expose longer for longer trails...

i guess what my friend is doing is to get a quick idea of the amount of exposure from a 1min test shot, then to prolonged the duration by altering the various settings while maintaining that same amt of exposure.

yah, i think i like the darker exposure with a shorter shutter duration, so i posted this. i have others with longer trails but dun think they are as good. anyway, i dun think i will ever get a good star trail cos i'm just not a tripod or night person.

wow! I saw the post from redoxsim where you were setting up for this shot. that picture of the house compared to this is worlds apart. it goes to show the level of understanding and control you have in photography. to acheive such colours, lighting and details without so little post processing is just astounding. thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i think that picture by roy is taken earlier when the sky is brighter. by the time i have my above output, it is turning middle blue already.

DSC_2766fcfjrs.jpg

another unnamed landscape by a stream, near chang la.

DSC_2766fcfjr.jpg

Last edited:
That's fast by ur usual standards..
Back fr the trip and uploaded a number of shots aredi...

old hen was just being injected some hormones and laid more eggs, but egg production will gradually resume to the old rate. well, but at least i may not need to touch my old library for quite some time.

Still sore that I couldn't join u guys.. can u all try to make it a little more within the sch holidays period next time.. haha..

met a couple of sg girls on the trip. u may get some companions from sgtravels. i may not do any photographic trip for the next 1 year.

DSC_1560fcfjrs.jpg

flying angels. at shanti gompa

DSC_1560fcfjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_3053fcfjrs.jpg

i was initially quite worried abt the long hours of travel and in the end, it did really wear us out even for a 5hrs (or maybe a bit more as we stop on the way) drive a day from leh to hunder. we heard from fellow travellors that the sand dunes ain't that sparse and true enough it is interrupted at many points with scrubs and vegetations. and it also turn out that we have no sunny blue sky and orange sand dunes with snow peaked backdrop. rather it has been a little cool but not cool enough, with hazy sky, hazy grass and hazy himalayan pashmina goat...

DSC_3053fcfjr.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking your thread, Zoossh...but I couldn't resist after seeing your photo ;p
Presenting...the Making of Flying Angels.

IMG_90351.jpg

flying angels. at shanti gompa

DSC_1560fcfjrs.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Really love the shot of the girls at the deer park. Like an ad shot. Lovely light, charming subjects and great composition. One of those shots that bring a smile.

Kelly

so that's where you have been! :)

great shots so far, all work for me :)