Delhi to Ladakh rejoiced (V series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
2008/06 Ladakh via New Delhi and Manali (V, DSLR) photographic trip in group
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Criticisms welcomed. You can quote the thumbail and the sequence number, for reference in commenting, remark or question.
Travel Summary: for details and links, refer to Travel & Variety rejoiced

DSC_0743iafjrs.jpg

The only acceptable reflection of natural landscape i have as Pangong Tso turns out too windy. Taken at Sarchu in the early morning.

(80610 sarchu to leh / 41 sarchu / format i)
DSC_0743iafjr.jpg

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Equipments in this trip includes
1. Nikon D50, Sigma 10-20mm, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8
2. Biermann+Weber CPL, Cokin P holder and Tianya GND
3. Manfrotto tripod 190MF3, Markins head Q3L, Nikon remote
4. Asus Eee PC 910 12GB, Buffalo & Fotomore hdd case

Last edited:
DSC_1865iafjrs.jpg

It is a pretty rushing job, but i got to blame myself for pampering moi these years using aperture prority all the time. the light is very harsh and even with a EV-5, i'm blowing a lot of highlight trying to push my aperture wide. by the time i figure out that i should perhaps try to use manual mode to deal with such harsh lighting to underexpose and perhaps post processed to increase brightness with care of avoiding clipping, time's up. so, do remember once u hit very harsh lighting, consider switching to manual mode.

DSC_1865iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_1987iafjrs.jpg

shadow of mini stupa at alchi.

Initially we are almost going to drop the trip to alchi as we have noted through some research that alchi monastery does not allow photography. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances where the commissioner is visiting leh and the officer who endorsed the permit to nubra valley and pangong tso (permit required as these are near the chinese border where chinese are claiming territories in india) have to go to show face, so two days we cannot arranged for trip to nubra valley and we thus have to find an alternative route, and thus we went alchi and rizong.

Some of travel mates was more happy with the alchi and rizong trip becos of the young monks and nuns we met, also becos the stops in between is less than 2-3hrs each, we are less tired, moreover becos the focus is not on landscape, so we are not so affected by the weather.

the below shot is one of the architecture cum "still-life" shot. i tend to be more satisfied with these shots as they tend to be more creative than the landscape and portraits that fill the majority of my takes. and these "still-life" shots only occur when the mood is better and when we have more walk arounds and thus can discover more.

DSC_1987iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0671iafjrs.jpg

Vishaal Taal (lake) on the way between keylong to sarchu

DSC_0671iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_9817iafjrs.jpg

Semi macro of red flowers. the unacceptable dynamic range of the red channels is one of my main complaint abt nikon D50. what is made worse is that the dynamic range is further reduced on non color managed browser.... i have always wonder about how other brands or models performed with regards to this.

DSC_9817iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_3205iafjrs.jpg

sand dunes at hunder. here is where we wanted high contrast but the sky is gloomy whereas at saspol i wish for a lower contrast but the light is too harsh. the quality of light greatly decides the outcome for outdoor photography. the base of the mountains was lined by trees and possibly a stream, which is at an oblique to me. i'm wondering whether i should level that to make it more pleasing

DSC_3205iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_1124iafjrs.jpg

tibetan women selling vegetables in leh...

DSC_1124iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_9998iafjrs.jpg

the typical misty grass-covered cliffs on the way through kohsher. though struggling to give a small percentage of verticals, my composition are largely horizontals, and even with verticals attempted... like in this case, i would prefer just the horizontal top where the hills meet the mist.

DSC_9998iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
Nice images, I hope to go there someday! What camera are you using?

One very minor issue: the text is a little distracting, sometimes right in the middle of the photo. How about a watermark?

Nice images, I hope to go there someday! What camera are you using?

One very minor issue: the text is a little distracting, sometimes right in the middle of the photo. How about a watermark?

nikon D50. i standardise my threads with the equipment listed.

the "text" is already partially watermarked, typically with opacity 20-70% (usually 50%) adjusted to taste. most of the time, i placed them in negative spaces, dark contrast areas, horizons or near the subject to congregate the focus area.

however, opinions are welcome as alternative feedback, whether i concur or not, still good to know... can u let me know in which pictures specifically would u prefer more transparency or alternative placement of location.

Last edited:
DSC_0671iafjrs.jpg

Vishaal Taal (lake) on the way between keylong to sarchu

DSC_0671iafjr.jpg

Hi zoossh, do you stack filters for the above image? nice dark blue sky you have there :thumbsup:

nikon D50. i standardise my threads with the equipment listed.

the "text" is already partially watermarked, typically with opacity 20-70% (usually 50%) adjusted to taste. most of the time, i placed them in negative spaces, dark contrast areas, horizons or near the subject to congregate the focus area.

however, opinions are welcome as alternative feedback, whether i concur or not, still good to know... can u let me know in which pictures specifically would u prefer more transparency or alternative placement of location.

Whoops! I totally didn't catch the equipment list in the first post. I'm one of those people who just sorta ignore the text in these threads and look at the pix. Kinda like a 3-year-old.

:embrass:

Anyway, for me the text in the Sarchu photo is not distracting, because it's to the side, and you can really look at the photo and without the text being much of a problem. The Leh and Hunder photos are where it's probably the most obtrusive. Just IMO, YMMV.

Hi zoossh, do you stack filters for the above image? nice dark blue sky you have there :thumbsup:

nope. cos i used a 10-20mm wide angle so i stop using the 3 slot holder (which anyway i dun stack) to reduce vignette. the sky is blue enough, one filter is enough to enhance the gradient.

IMO, I do think that you should go ahead and level #6. :)

thanks. will keep that in mind... but tentatively will leave it alone and process other photos instead if got time.

Whoops! I totally didn't catch the equipment list in the first post. I'm one of those people who just sorta ignore the text in these threads and look at the pix. Kinda like a 3-year-old.

:embrass:

Anyway, for me the text in the Sarchu photo is not distracting, because it's to the side, and you can really look at the photo and without the text being much of a problem. The Leh and Hunder photos are where it's probably the most obtrusive. Just IMO, YMMV.

thanks for letting me know. i kind of agree for the leh pic, but just that i can't think of a much better placement either.

Last edited:
DSC_2805iafjrs.jpg

a group photo for the monks at chamday monastery.

DSC_2805iafjr.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_1404iafs.jpg

i think my vertical shots are always weaker. here is another feeble attempt. looks a little soft to me... 1/80s not fast enough to freeze the unpredictably moving curtains.... or probably out of focus too.

DSC_1404icfo.jpg

DSC_1404iafs.jpg

i think my vertical shots are always weaker. here is another feeble attempt. looks a little soft to me... 1/80s not fast enough to freeze the unpredictably moving curtains.... or probably out of focus too.

DSC_1404icfo.jpg

Zoossh, your pictures are generally very well taken. I stopped commenting. For this one, I thought a slower shutter might do it more good - to show motion of the moving curtains. (this was an advise you gave me for 1 of my shots and I thought it was very good advise). ;)
nonetheless, still a good picture.

i think what u say is true... and i probably need more space on the left too as the curtain sweep to the left...

DSC_0199icfs.jpg

stream at sissu.

DSC_0199icfo.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.