D800 User Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then i would believe you need a change of comp.

Hi,

Anyone know if the D800 can shoot in a smaller raw file size?
I prefer to shoot in raw file but I don't think I require 36 mp all the times.

*If not got to change computer liao.

Thanks.
gary.

For FX shots, the NEF file size will range from 29 to 74 MB, depending on your raw setting (12 bit or 14 bit, Lossy Compressed/Lossless Compressed/No Compression).
If you shoot DX, the NEF file size will be smaller correspondingly.

I bought a new computer to cope with the bigger files as my current one is about 5 years old. :)

Hi,

Thanks.
gary.

lossless compressed NEF RAW is around 40mb only. You should be fine dealing with it if you got no problem dealing with uncompressed NEF RAW of D700 of about 24-26mb.

On DPreview D800 forum, people reporting the D800 locking up and even exploding. Man, have to reconsider.

Last edited:
hkenh said:
lossless compressed NEF RAW is around 40mb only. You should be fine dealing with it if you got no problem dealing with uncompressed NEF RAW of D700 of about 24-26mb.

All size specification can be found on the tech spec of D800. The good news is 12-bit looseness compression is 32.4MB for an image. Which is still manageable. But for those who shoot uncompressed, be prepared to handle 74.4MB for one instead.

On DPreview D800 forum, people reporting the D800 locking up and even exploding. Man, have to reconsider.

The poster did not explain what they did before the explosion. I am not too worried at the moment and hope it's a one-off case.

gary_koh said:
Hi,

Thanks.
gary.

Hi, yes you may change PCs HD into SDD speed of load the 75mb of using NX capture for opening files.
The only solution just shoots with DX lens to be cover all the time :)

Was going for macro shoot and tried shooting the moon with my macro lens handheld.

1/49 crop.

560069_10150653758241441_618276440_9538181_616751033_n.jpg

I have this problem of the image taking very long to save a single shot. Like... 6 to 10 seconds. Only happens once in a while though.

Using Sandisk 95MB/s SD card. Haven't fully tested the card but used it quite a lot before on my D80 last month, 3000 pics no problem.

Quite a relaxed pace, so no doubt that its not due to buffer full.

Hi,

Thanks.
gary.

Just need to get a portable harddisk will do ? :)

Sharing two of the shots taken with Nikon Micro 200mm f/4. The lens still performs well with D800. Relieve my worries that the older lenses will not be able to match the high pixel counts on D800.

Shanghai Tang Dragon
6910205964_bce22fe7e7_b.jpg

D800 Camera Strap
7056292199_7913df5764_b.jpg

i trusted Nikkor Lenses, even the Ai, Ai-S, AF, AF-D all can be mount into nikon body then should be worry free.

Flickr: aFrIcanSH's Photostream

A coupla more shots from over this weekend.
I used the 24mm more again, with AF fine tune it becomes rather inconsistent regarding the left sided af points. Sometimes even the right sided ones wouldn't be in focus (but less, either that or i missfocused and concluded they had the same problem as the left sided ones). So i put the 24mm af fine tune back to 0. At least the centre point works good, and i can focus-recompose in some situations.

Flickr: aFrIcanSH's Photostream

A coupla more shots from over this weekend.
I used the 24mm more again, with AF fine tune it becomes rather inconsistent regarding the left sided af points. Sometimes even the right sided ones wouldn't be in focus (but less, either that or i missfocused and concluded they had the same problem as the left sided ones). So i put the 24mm af fine tune back to 0. At least the centre point works good, and i can focus-recompose in some situations.

I tot AF fine tune applied across all points? Doesn't that means if you compensate for the left points, wouldn't the center and right points will be affected? Sorry, i'd nvr use it extensively, just thinking it might had been that way.

Yup so thats the problem cause the left sided points seem to backfocus, or not give accurate focus/anything in focus at all. So when i try to correct the backfocus with fine tuning, the other points are affected. So i reset it back to 0. I was trying to correct the AF issue with wideangle lenses reported on Dpreview.

i trusted Nikkor Lenses, even the Ai, Ai-S, AF, AF-D all can be mount into nikon body then should be worry free.

True, I was more concerned on the sharpness and contrast I will get on D800. Before D800 was out, a number of people were saying older lenses will not perform well with D800. After trying my 200 micro f/4 and 135 DC f/2, I am assured that those were just rumors.

Yup so thats the problem cause the left sided points seem to backfocus, or not give accurate focus/anything in focus at all. So when i try to correct the backfocus with fine tuning, the other points are affected. So i reset it back to 0. I was trying to correct the AF issue with wideangle lenses reported on Dpreview.

It's like patching up a leak but it does prevent the other side to leak. We will just wait for Nikon announcement on the course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.