D800 User Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umeiko said:
True, I was more concerned on the sharpness and contrast I will get on D800. Before D800 was out, a number of people were saying older lenses will not perform well with D800. After trying my 200 micro f/4 and 135 DC f/2, I am assured that those were just rumors.

Sure, even the lens optical coating still there and not totally out at all, still perform as well in all time, the only we found out some color may be not suit for you an not that rich color only :)
But now got many software can edit the color into vivid that is worried free also ha ha.

Last edited:
Umeiko said:
It's like patching up a leak but it does prevent the other side to leak. We will just wait for Nikon announcement on the course of action.

If only we can patch up like making a new pairs of specs... Then again, we are talking abt 51 eyes here, where 17 of them having problems :p

I have this problem of the image taking very long to save a single shot. Like... 6 to 10 seconds. Only happens once in a while though.

Using Sandisk 95MB/s SD card. Haven't fully tested the card but used it quite a lot before on my D80 last month, 3000 pics no problem.

Quite a relaxed pace, so no doubt that its not due to buffer full.

I do face this issue as well. Occurred to me twice. Didnt think much the first time, but when it happen again, I kind of noticed it.

For mine, usually you can preview the picture straight, but for the two times, you just have to wait a few seconds in order to view it. The blinking is there. I'm just taking one picture at a time. Using 95mb/s card as well too.

I do face this issue as well. Occurred to me twice. Didnt think much the first time, but when it happen again, I kind of noticed it.

For mine, usually you can preview the picture straight, but for the two times, you just have to wait a few seconds in order to view it. The blinking is there. I'm just taking one picture at a time. Using 95mb/s card as well too.

its a known bug where by the buffer will hang for every 100+ shots or so .it would occasionally occur while trying to preview

could it be an issue isolated 95MBps sd's?

i have a 45MBps sandisk and seems to be okay. te 60MBps CF is okay as well.

have you tried formatting the card using the camera format function?

I'm using a 45MBps sandisk also and I also experience this hanging thing whereby you can't preview pics while the read/write light continue to blink. As zcw123 said, it's a known issue - Nikon D800 vs D700 FPS and Buffer Comparison

reject said:

Yup, was formatted using the camera. But like quite a few pointed out, it's a known issue. But not a big one though.

But So far so good. No issue that affects shooting to an annoying stage. Just need to wait for all issues to consolidate and one visit to Nikon.

Maybe in the end lazy and just live with the issues. Lol..

i see. i hope the issues will be addressed on the first firmware update.

Yup, was formatted using the camera. But like quite a few pointed out, it's a known issue. But not a big one though.

But So far so good. No issue that affects shooting to an annoying stage. Just need to wait for all issues to consolidate and one visit to Nikon.

Maybe in the end lazy and just live with the issues. Lol..

i see. i hope the issues will be addressed on the first firmware update.

Oh yes yes.. if all can by solved by firmware is the best.. can save all the trouble.

its a known bug where by the buffer will hang for every 100+ shots or so .it would occasionally occur while trying to preview
一i called the nsc, well they say they had never met this problem before , then ask me if i had set to manual focus WTF...
then ask me to reset my cam then see WTF

I'm not a D800 user, but my colleague just got his, and I got to try it out for a few minutes. Curious as to how my older lenses would perform on it, I tried my AF-D 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 and AF-S 17-35mm f2.8D. Here are some completely unscientific samples from a cheap lens and an older classic, all shot at f8, cloudy WB (it was drizzling), jpg straight from camera as I forgot to shoot raw.

AF-D 28-105mm at 28mm, resized:
d800_28_resize.jpg

28mm center, 100% zoom:
d800_28_center.jpg

28mm corner, 100% zoom:
d800_28_corner.jpg

This cheap lens is my walkabout lens on film, I now have to reconsider it if I do get the D800. Center is not very crisp and the corner is quite disastrous at full resolution.

Next, AF-S 17-35mm at 17mm, same settings as above. Resized:
d800_17_resize.jpg

17mm center, 100% zoom:
d800_17_center.jpg

17mm corner, 100% zoom:
d800_17_corner.jpg

The old 17-35mm is pretty sharp in the center, edges hold up fine but corner at f8 drops off suddenly. 35mm performance is slightly better than 17mm. Looks like this UWA is pretty useable for now.

kcchew said:

17mm center, 100% zoom:

17mm corner, 100% zoom:

The old 17-35mm is pretty sharp in the center, edges hold up fine but corner at f8 drops off suddenly. 35mm performance is slightly better than 17mm. Looks like this UWA is pretty useable for now.

Yups, corner is acceptable and for most of my purposes, will definitely be ok. To think, almost thought of selling it off.

d800_17_resize.jpg

17mm center, 100% zoom:
d800_17_center.jpg

17mm corner, 100% zoom:
d800_17_corner.jpg

Well...firstly...you're shooting at UWA....distortions are the thing you're talking about... Secondly.... why do you want to zoom in all the way at 100% when u want is how the whole picture looks like... u really want to forgo composition when you shoot?

I'm not a D800 user, but my colleague just got his, and I got to try it out for a few minutes. Curious as to how my older lenses would perform on it, I tried my AF-D 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 and AF-S 17-35mm f2.8D. Here are some completely unscientific samples from a cheap lens and an older classic, all shot at f8, cloudy WB (it was drizzling), jpg straight from camera as I forgot to shoot raw.

This cheap lens is my walkabout lens on film, I now have to reconsider it if I do get the D800. Center is not very crisp and the corner is quite disastrous at full resolution.

I may be wrong. But buying D800 doesn't mean every picture you take with every lens will come out the kind of pictures that they are advertising with. What I heard alot is that lens are more important than the body?

And you keep emphasizing on cheap lens. Hmm.. isn't that more to blame than D800? Again, I may be wrong, but I believe using a good lens on whatever body will give you good quality pictures. Using a bad lens will give you not so ideal results no matter what body. If I'm wrong, then all D800 users can save tons on money by buying cheap lens.

Well...firstly...you're shooting at UWA....distortions are the thing you're talking about... Secondly.... why do you want to zoom in all the way at 100% when u want is how the whole picture looks like... u really want to forgo composition when you shoot?

From my other shots, all corners perform similarly, it's just that I didn't post all of them here. Yes, distortion might play a part, but if you look at the cars in the corner shot, all are horrendously distorted but some are still sharp.

If you wanted to see what the whole picture looks like, I had already posted the whole resized picture right at the top. I know some people are worried about the corners on the D800 with this particular lens, hence the 100% zoom so they can draw their own conclusions without having to speculate. If you want nice composition, you'd have to wait for me to borrow the D800 for a few hours.

I may be wrong. But buying D800 doesn't mean every picture you take with every lens will come out the kind of pictures that they are advertising with. What I heard alot is that lens are more important than the body?

And you keep emphasizing on cheap lens. Hmm.. isn't that more to blame than D800? Again, I may be wrong, but I believe using a good lens on whatever body will give you good quality pictures. Using a bad lens will give you not so ideal results no matter what body. If I'm wrong, then all D800 users can save tons on money by buying cheap lens.

You're right, a good lens is essential if you want to squeeze out every bit of quality from the D800. I was simply curious as to how my older lenses perform on such a high-quality sensor. And since my old AF-D 28-105mm lens doesn't do the D800 justice at full resolution, I would either have to change to perhaps 24-120mm f4 or shoot with primes only if I do get the D800 and want the best quality. I'm not knocking the D800, I was very impressed with the samples from the 17-35mm. But for those who scrimp and save to get a D800 and hope that they can get by with their older generation lenses, the shots show that it is best to test first before deciding.

For cheap lenses, I think the 50mm f1.8 (D and G variants) would perform very well with the D800, and they don't cost that much.

think he meant to illustrate the fact that the 36mp sensor is VERY unforgiving to lenses that might not be that optically brilliant.

From my other shots, all corners perform similarly, it's just that I didn't post all of them here. Yes, distortion might play a part, but if you look at the cars in the corner shot, all are horrendously distorted but some are still sharp.

If you wanted to see what the whole picture looks like, I had already posted the whole resized picture right at the top. I know some people are worried about the corners on the D800 with this particular lens, hence the 100% zoom so they can draw their own conclusions without having to speculate. If you want nice composition, you'd have to wait for me to borrow the D800 for a few hours.

You're right, a good lens is essential if you want to squeeze out every bit of quality from the D800. I was simply curious as to how my older lenses perform on such a high-quality sensor. And since my old AF-D 28-105mm lens doesn't do the D800 justice at full resolution, I would either have to change to perhaps 24-120mm f4 or shoot with primes only if I do get the D800 and want the best quality. I'm not knocking the D800, I was very impressed with the samples from the 17-35mm. But for those who scrimp and save to get a D800 and hope that they can get by with their older generation lenses, the shots show that it is best to test first before deciding.

For cheap lenses, I think the 50mm f1.8 (D and G variants) would perform very well with the D800, and they don't cost that much.

think he meant to illustrate the fact that the 36mp sensor is VERY unforgiving to lenses that might not be that optically brilliant.

Ok.. got the point. My bad for not getting your perspective right. ;)

No worries! I got poisoned deep deep by the D800, now thinking about how to restructure my lens collection in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.