D800 User Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.
asdfg said:
Okay how bout this? How bout you actually read what i posted and that would answer your wb question.
"Erratic wb came from artificial lighting BUT my D300 never had such a problem. It'd get the WB wrong, but 2 shots wouldn't be different. Anyway, in natural light the wb is a tad off, either that or its the lcd but i'd prefer the wb to be properly reflected on the lcd because i shoot mainly jpeg, and i edit on the go (colour balance etc). So it's either the lcd hue or the wb, or both."

My issue is the lcd, which i have read about and seen samples all over the internet, and the erratic wb. One of the 2 shots would present a more accurate wb, more accurate than my d300, but my d300 would give consistently "off" wb. So part of me feels i'd rather get consistently "off" wb than erratic wb.

I'm not sure if you've seen my flickr, but i do macro, street photography, a little bit of portraiture. Other than landscapes, what other types of photography would fx benefit over dx, and are you saying what i shoot isn't as applicable on fx than dx? I suppose for macro yes, but i love thin dof and high iso benefits, but didn't want to lose the crop factor benefit, so the D800 was perfect for me. It's dual purpose. But it's funny you say you're sorry you offended me and then come around offending me again saying that the things i shoot don't need fx. Sure i don't need fx, i want it. The camera is my tool. I'm taking offense because you paint me as if i haven't been shooting, i haven't thought about fx and it's BLASPHEMY that i haven't been blown away by the d800. I never said the camera was bad, i said there are subtle improvements. "major improvements to me are on paper and using it hands on wasn't as mind blowing as i expected."

I can't believe i've to quote myself just to let you read my opinion again. And sorry for bringing up negativity in this thread.

Ok Mr. asdfg, all I'm saying is that the photography that you do might not benefit much from a FX sensor which hence you might not feel the need to. I did not see any of ur photos on Flickr.

"Erratic wb came from artificial lighting", sorry, I can't fully grasp the picture u are trying to paint. I dunno if anybody else does but I'm sure I'm not the only who asked.

I do not care if u have been shooting a lot, I do not care if you shoot for a living or for hobby. I'm only expressing my opinions on ur opinions of "subtle" improvements, and my opinions why it may not had blown you away.

Artificial lighting i.e. florescent light (not too sure about incandescent). Anyway someone posted a link here so this might explain it.
The Feral Photographer: Photographing under fluorescent lights
another problem i encountered is the green hue in the lcd, which may affect how i see the wb at the point i take the shot. That's it.

Feel the need to? I've always felt the need to move to fx. Or the urge to. If you didn't see my flickr (i assumed you did, thats why i thought you made that statement based on what you've seen), then why did you make a blind statement about how fx doesn't suit my shooting? I'd only say so if i've seen what someone else shoots, or he/she had stated what type of shooting he/she did.

I take things personally, i know i shouldn't be so defensive, but strange you should say you're only expressing your opinion of my opinion, cause i'm only expressing my opinion. So now i shall respect your opinion of my opinion but...it was almost like you were questioning me or making me seem like i didn't know what i was talking about. I gave my reasons, it's my opinion, i thought it'd be left as that.

It's like telling someone who's been driving for many years, after he tried a highly anticipated car but wasn't blown away, WHY he wasn't blown away. It's the persons opinion on the car, many people may feel differently but he feels this way. Then when you bring up the points on why he may feel this way, like troubleshooting an opinion (which shoudn't be troubleshot, cause it's not a problem, except in my case the wb part). But the person has been driving for years, he's driven several cars, knows his stuff, thought long and hard about the car before buying.

I know my "erratic wb" explanations have been vague, and like the link pointed out, it could be due to the florescent lighting. I'm just saying i didn't experience this with the D300, so it was strange to me. Just re-read the posted i typed 2 posts ago. It's all my view, why i think i feel this way about each main benefit of the D800. I am a very convoluted person when it comes to explanations. So whatever i've said might all be jibba-jabba to you.

Last edited:
please zoom in to the bug's eyes,can?

just want to see how it can resolve all those tiny eyes

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cowseye said:
I got a feeling that most of these benefits of FX (that u listed urself) is not really something that you need for the stuff you shoot. hence it doesn't blow u away when ur now have it...

Maybe it's the way I said my statement, let me rephrase.

"I got a feeling that most of these benefits of FX (that u listed urself) MIGHT not really BE something that you need for the stuff you shoot. hence it doesn't blow u away when ur now have it..."

I commented based on the sentiments above and I didn't see you work. It's a straight forward opinion base on what you listed those FX advantages, as what you think, are subtle benefits for you. But I would think they major improvement when going from DX to FX, and particularly, the D800. Not just paper but practical advantage.

You have your opinions, fine. But the advantages I stated are practical advantages that people look for in a FX sensor. I'm expressing my opinions as a comparison over yours. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. Please don't get too sensitive over it.

Last edited:
Just to check, do you all like that placement of the shutter button. It felt not so comfy when I tried it at the Nikon showroom, may be I've not gotten use to it.

I find the shutter button normal. It's the mode button that I find it awkward as I need to stretch to reach it. Don't see the need for the video button to be placed there. Otherwise I find the ergonomics of d800 not much difference from all the Nikon dslr I have used before.

I find the shutter button normal. It's the mode button that I find it awkward as I need to stretch to reach it. Don't see the need for the video button to be placed there. Otherwise I find the ergonomics of d800 not much difference from all the Nikon dslr I have used before.

Agree with Umeiko - the mode button is also a bit of a stretch for me too; takes me slightly longer to change mode as well. But all the other buttons and layout are much better in term of user friendliness compared to my previous camera, a D300. Only other thing is that sometimes when looking at image preview, I zoomed out when I wanted to zoom in instead (the buttons are in reverse order compared to the previous Nikon DSLRs).

Umeiko said:

There's a reason they move the video button there. The forward depression seems to cause more camera movement than downward depression. This is comparing between D4, D800 with D7000.

The mode button, however, needs a little stretch indeed.

Hmm, can enlighten me why the pics produced superior to other cams? As i can see none.

To me, the high resolution translates to the fine details that you can derive from the photos.

For example

6901088722_bda46ee10d_b.jpg

The 100% crop of the bottom left side of the photo where the bump boat is located. You can see the details of the pedestrians (the two ladies - one wearing a cap with long hair and the other with short hair)

7047977127_ca1e005c0c_b.jpg

Last edited:
There's a reason they move the video button there. The forward depression seems to cause more camera movement than downward depression. This is comparing between D4, D800 with D7000.

The mode button, however, needs a little stretch indeed.

That may be the reason but it's something I need to get used to.

D800 user.. u might want ur AF sensor. read more below

Update on D800 AF issues [Page 1]: Nikon D4 - D1 / D800 Forum: Digital Photography Review
1. It seems to be a batch issue. If you have a D800 body with the serial in the 8000xxx to 8001xxx range, check your left side AF sensors (single point mode, AFC or AFS) with a fast wide (24/1.4 is ideal) if you have one. You'll most probably find it's off. We tried a total of five bodies in this serial, and not one could focus either of two 24/1.4s properly on the left side - the center and right points were fine, and the lenses were fine on a D3x, D4 and D700.

To me, the high resolution translates to the fine details that you can derive from the photos.

For example

The 100% crop of the left side of the photo where the bump boat is located. You can see the details of the pedestrians (the two ladies - one wearing a cap with long hair and the other with short hair)

The details are amazing. What's the aperture you shot with and the focal length?

Update on D800 AF issues [Page 1]: Nikon D4 - D1 / D800 Forum: Digital Photography Review
1. It seems to be a batch issue. If you have a D800 body with the serial in the 8000xxx to 8001xxx range, check your left side AF sensors (single point mode, AFC or AFS) with a fast wide (24/1.4 is ideal) if you have one. You'll most probably find it's off. We tried a total of five bodies in this serial, and not one could focus either of two 24/1.4s properly on the left side - the center and right points were fine, and the lenses were fine on a D3x, D4 and D700.

My serial no. is in the 8001xxx range. Have tried and confirmed mine exhibited the same behavior. Looks like I need to go down to NSC. :( . Any D800 users face the same issue?

Last edited:
The details are amazing. What's the aperture you shot with and the focal length?

Thanks. The photo was taken using f/8.0, 1/400sec, ISO100 and at a focal length of 22mm. I cropped the image a little after performing some lens correction using Lightroom. The B&W image was converted using Silver Efex Pro.

Last edited:

same for me, 24 1.4 as well.
i'll probably go down to NSC end April, maybe more bugs wouldve been discovered and can be ironed out by then.

For example

The 100% crop of the bottom left side of the photo where the bump boat is located. You can see the details of the pedestrians (the two ladies - one wearing a cap with long hair and the other with short hair)

More details myth:

If you print out an image from the 16Mp camera and compare it to an 8Mp camera using the same lens, focal length, and aperture, sharpness will be be the same at all sizes but the higher pixel count camera will print larger due to higher resolution.

This translates to: when you resize the image to smaller sizes, there is no difference between in sharpness between 16Mp vs 8Mp. Of course,16Mp will have better signal to noise ratio(less noisy image).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.