Canon Photo Marathon 2008 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
WINNERS have no complain, la.

I think the Photo Marathon was not meant to be such a "serious" competition. Remember how the host stressed that this was the biggest ever such contest in terms of participation?

Think of it as an exercise in encouraging people to take up photography as a hobby. My friend took part with me carrying a PnS, but ended up the day aspiring to own a DSLR. Isn't that great for all of us?

Photography for many of us is art, but is just a way of recording happy memories and an enjoyable pasttime for the rest. Can't we use this event to mingle and learn from each other? :)

Don't play play.

I feel that the organiser should start to have more than ONE professional photographers as a JUDGES.
3 Pro judges with different expertise - eg. Studio, Nature and Photojournalist (from Newspaper Company)

Than the judging would be FAIRER.

Next, all 3 themes will be given at the same time. Each photographer CAN ONLY CHOOSE 2 themes.

Of course, this way the "difficult" theme will not be choosen.

Go out to shoot and come back within 4 hours.

Download only one photo from each theme. Total 2 photos from 2 themes.

Go and have it PRINT out (4R), write your descriptions and concept of your photos.

With the 2 printed photos submit to the organisers (not the judges) in a envelope.

Remember, do not write your IC number, your NAME or registration code on the photos. (Very Fair)

Wait for 4 hours for the judging, you may go home and rest... watch a movie etc.

Results will be announced. The WINNING photos will be projected on the screen.

Your photo is your camera is to prove that this shot is by you. (Very Fair)

Next:

The RULES of the competition:
1) You cannot be in the photos that you are submitting.
2) You cannot set up a scenerio to take the photo ( includes your own hand being used )
3) No Indoor Studio shoot. To be fair as not everyone can own and setup a studio.
4) Keep to the timing, once late to submit. Disqualified!
5) Do not take another printed document or poster as your subject

Dear Organisers are you looking at these?

Interesting rules!! But I think it might work =p
Anyway I agree with the first post by ART, I am an amatuer and no doubt the winning entries are good photos, but I tot its more about going out there with an creative eye to take impromtu shots, not staged and no processing...that's just what I tot was the aim.

Well just my 2 cents, no offence to anyone =)

Shy@n

WINNERS have no complain, la.

hahahahah tail out :sweat:

I have joined few contests but have not win anything only recent........ what is the point to cry over it or angry about it? It a learning process and just be happy with your works. No one can please everybody lor :) Moreover it's so subjective for these stuff?

How you define right and wrong? Majority sure right and Minority sure wrong?

Just realise my email was BURSTed with notifications.... :confused:

Competition is HEALTHY.

HAHAHA!

Let me see how to put it.... The ONLY solution is CHANGE the title, CHANGE the judges and CHANGE the Orgainser.

This is a matter of Principle.
We are not told WHO the judges are.
We given a time to abid to, no late comers for submission.
It's a Baker baking a cake in a competition, Oh his cake is still in the OVEN. Let's extend the deadline. His CAKE smells good even before the judges can eat it.
We are misled by the Organiser in many ways.

I wish to demand an meeting with the Organisers!

Winners are happy, so don't say anything.

I 'm giving a serious thought...

I remember 2 years ago I joined a AIDS Arts competition. They have photo, poster, video and animation category.
There were Top 3 Prizes for each of these category.
I submitted an animation short.... guess WHAT! They Only have a single winner.
When I asked them, they said "Oh! not enough entries for your category"

Its' a SCAM, like you buy a charity ticket for $10. Suddenly they cannot finish selling the charity tickets thus they gave only the top 3 prizes.
And they took away all the 47 prizes!

We need more transprancey in this type of competition.

Honestly, I am one of those frustrated ones. I agree with the TS and I dun think the TS is sour grapes. I believe we have taken part in comps before and never have I felt what the fish. Generally, when I saw a winning work, I know I have lost or I would say yeah, the photo has merit and therefore, it would be based on judges preference but in this scenario, it is like when a winning work is showm that day, everybody look at each other.

That tells a lot.

No point?

Like Jack Neo's Movie, Saying that Singaporean ALWAYS COMPLAIN!

Come on.... see what happen to the LEman Brothers.... Big Banks this days are falling!
Organiser cannot carry on with such a competition. We , Investor (Photographers) will lose everything!

They should REFORM and ADJUST the competition rules and judging! OR there will be NO BAILOUT package!

With no disrespect to you but as I have been reading on the sideline....I just have to throw in my two cents, I am not much of a contest participating type but I can appreciate there are individuals like yourself who do as I have seen you are very into a number of discussion of various photography contest or events.

In a way I have to agree with some of your purist ideals of what constitute a proper photographic contest and what is just a corporate marketing exercise to drum up awareness and the cash register in the guise of a contest. Case in point this Canon Photo Marathon.

But like you brought up Jacks Neo's movie. Where there was something said about "Singaporean ALWAYS COMPLAIN!". Which as I read more of this thread. That is ultimately what it is becoming. A thread of complaining disguise as a fair debate over the legitimacy of this contest.

I am sorry to say you above anyone else knew that...even before the contest when you chat here in another thread. You knew way back how this contest is not going to be one that really pay alot of attention to holding this contest to some "high" or "expected" standards. You knew that.... so I am rather puzzle why you feel difference now that it is over and well maybe also the fact, the winners are actually CS forumers too?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2512758&postcount=25

Let's try to stay objective as you do make some valid points but you need to be careful before this borders on being consider displaying a hint of sour grape. Just my thought.

Hate the game but don't hate the players as a saying goes.

Disclaimer on my part. I was very hesitance to throw down my bit as I do know Tupi personally from our involvement in PhotoAids 2008. I don't want my part to come in sounding like i am siding him. I am not. I don't intend to talk about his photo choice but I do know he does not go about in any sly way to try to win. As I see it, he not only interpretate how he want to capture the essence of the theme but also the rules of the contest.

Last edited:
身正不怕影子歪 ;)

Direct translate > Straight body wont afraid of slanted shadow

i have a complain!
i remember last year marathon, the canon girl at the stage during presentation is very very chio...
how come she didn't come again this year! complainnnn!!!

i have a complain!
i remember last year marathon, the canon girl at the stage during presentation is very very chio...
how come she didn't come again this year! complainnnn!!!

That's a good complaint. :bsmilie: Kekeke...

Oh my.

He's furious.

Anyway, Thank God I switch to NIKON system.

I am calm and steady. I even left before the results were announced.

Anyway, Good Luck to the contestants of Next Year Canon PhotoMARAGONE.

Oh my.

He's furious.

Anyway, Thank God I switch to NIKON system.

I am calm and steady. I even left before the results were announced.

Anyway, Good Luck to the contestants of Next Year Canon PhotoMARAGONE.

i wonder.. after reading all ur postings, is it ur intention to genuinely get some sort of "feedback" or is this a flame bait to start this thread:think::dunno:.

i wonder.. after reading all ur postings, is it ur intention to genuinely get some sort of "feedback" or is this a flame bait to start this thread:think::dunno:.

i find the post above yours all the way up a few totally irrelevant already...

i guess some people shouldn't ever go join any competition cos they can't take failure... and they only love to hear nice things...

i think i should start a company to provide ego soothing services for those who have bruised egos from critiques and competitions. :devil:

i find the post above yours all the way up a few totally irrelevant already...

i guess some people shouldn't ever go join any competition cos they can't take failure... and they only love to hear nice things...

i think i should start a company to provide ego soothing services for those who have bruised egos from critiques and competitions. :devil:

Need funding for your company? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.