Canon Photo Marathon 2008 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, its a different cause, ppl who join Eye e City does not go for prizes, instead, for the satisfaction of shooting.

for canon photo marathon, most ppl go with the hope to win...

mindset different, output will also be different...

cos when u shoot eye e city, you don't shoot cos you wanna win a prize, so you shoot what u think the judges want... instead, you shoot what u think you like and what you think best represents that moment in time.

for competitions, you shoot based on what the theme, and what the organiser may want you to portray... its a guessing game... u guess it, with a bit of luck, u win...

As for me, i never will want to shoot what others want. I only shoot what i feel or my interpret-ion.

Eye the CIty and the Canon contest are totally two different stuff and i am so surprise that some use it to make a comparison. And DCA has make the point here.

As for me, i never will want to shoot what others want. I only shoot what i feel or my interpret-ion.

Eye the CIty and the Canon contest are totally two different stuff and i am so surprise that some use it to make a comparison. And DCA has make the point here.

bro,

I am sorry, I think we are not comparing Eye the City and Canon PhotoMarathon here..

We are comparing canon photomarathon conducted locally is having a different set of standard comparing with canon photomarathon conducted overseas... :sweat: The standard is little bit different leh.

btw, congratulations , I think you won a prize too :thumbsup:

bro,

I am sorry, I think we are not comparing Eye the City and Canon PhotoMarathon here..

We are comparing canon photomarathon conducted locally is having a different set of standard comparing with canon photomarathon conducted overseas... :sweat: The standard is little bit different leh.

btw, congratulations , I think you won a prize too :thumbsup:

Thanks.

What thing is the same anyway?

wow like "tee kum"/ buying lottery!

Then why is Singapore photos so STAGED!

I get my auntie to pose with old photo.
That's it!

I'm not jealous for not winning. Just a penny of thought.

Perhaps you shd pose your pics and LEAD us what it shd be taken? Or it's time for you to work in canon to lead them to a better standard?

Btw, i didt use my aunty. I shot my mum.

I agree with DCA, Archlover, Dennis.

This competetion or any competition u either shoot to the theme on how u wan to interprate or the other is u shoot to the judges liking aka shoot to win... as i remembered someone show me in a thread which i once post to talk abt competition n judging, and the photo which receive heavy critc in our CS CnC section turn out to be a winning photo of some competition overseas or some International competition! So basically, sad to say u shoot to the judge's liking.

So why do i still participate in competition? Depending on each individual, how u want to look at it, for me it is a challenge to shoot as close to theme possible within the shortest time or given time. Winning Prize is Secondary or its a bonus.
I know u will then say that we take part in competition is to win. Correct who dun one to win but sad to say there is only limted no of winners! For me everyone is a winner in one way or another!

Just like a piece of art there is no right or wrong. It all depends very much on the organiser as who they bring in as judges, different people, different expectation, different eyes, different interpretation!

Which remind me of my secondary school days, my classmate whom i think is good at art but no matter how hard he try he onli hit 60+ or 70+ marks. Until one day he manage to hit 85+ and or above why? becos he found out that our Art teacher's favourite colour is purple from then on it is no looking back for him and we also manage to score higher then before.

So for me i still will continue to challenge myself where wining will be bonus. If not, it is just gain experience, mixed n learn or exchange pointers with other photographers endless of learning to do.

As for the judges credit to them as it is not easy to go through 1000s of photo in such short time. Ask Dennis u will know dat as it took them 2 full days to judge Eye the City's photos of abt 2k+ photos!

I will still continue to take part in Canon Photo Marathon n Eye the City! Cos these 2 always steches me to the limit!

So i see open le... not everyone thinks or see like anyone else! One man's meat is another's poison. Got to live and let live! No one and Nothing is perfect!:bsmilie:

Like I say....

This competition has several controversal points.

Why called it photo marathon? Rubber time, extend and extend....

Why foreigns can join.... don't they have it in their country already? PR can join? When it was a local competition years ago. Fine.
Now that is stretch to some asian countries....

Why allow the staged subjects? Studio shoot, Picture within another picture, high tech shots etc

Like I say....

This competition has several controversal points.

Why called it photo marathon? Rubber time, extend and extend....

Why foreigns can join.... don't they have it in their country already? PR can join? When it was a local competition years ago. Fine.
Now that is stretch to some asian countries....

Why allow the staged subjects? Studio shoot, Picture within another picture, high tech shots etc

Luckily, I am late in my registration..haha.. At least I feel better now that I was not in, else I will be greatly disappointed. :thumbsd:

Lucky u.

Announcing the 'death' of photojournalism!!! :bsmilie:

One tip: If you see the same 'speaker' next year who gave a short travel lecture during the marathon, do what the winners did and you will not go wrong.

But what the hell am I doing, still hunting for my subjects (theme 2: dreams below), after viewing the shortlisted entries for theme 1 on the board.

2958381130_03afb697a4_o.jpg

At least this man is keeping his and my dream alive!!! :bsmilie:

Hey, you are right man. I don't mind having the same speaker next so at least I will convert my house into a mini studio first.. Hee Hee.

I like your photo. This is so much more meaningful man. :D Great reflection bro !

One tip: If you see the same 'speaker' next year who gave a short travel lecture during the marathon, do what the winners did and you will not go wrong.

But what the hell am I doing, still hunting for my subjects (theme 2: dreams below), after viewing the shortlisted entries for theme 1 on the board.

Is there any place to download the group shot?? in their website it is loaded in flash so cannot copy also.

I was wondering if...

a participant were to prepare artwork/portraits/images in days/weeks in advance (big print outs and so on)

and when theme is released, the participant goes home, takes a high res shot of his artwork/portrait/image, and submits. Then again, he could bring his piece outdoors to shoot outside, even less obvious that it's pre-planned.

And the point is that, it is reproduced work, but nobody knows, there's no evidence. At all.

What would that be? What are your views?
And how the organizers should or would respond?

Personally, my own view, is that allowing such situation to happen, it defeats the spirit of a "photomarathon" being a photomarathon, and (no offence to anyone, just to point out a possibility) if winning entries were of such, wouldn't it be a big (hidden or not) joke?
To quote a friend, "it cheapens the competition", it's a harsh comment, but everybody's entitled to their own opinions.

Which brings us to the question
" Is the Canon Photo Marathon about photojournalism? Or anything goes? What was their original aim/theme? Or is it just a simple publicity event for the brand? "

Please do not bash, lest the thread be locked. Constructive debate if possible. Thanks.

Last edited:
Remember someone submitted a sunset shot for the first theme? hahahah.

erm... impossible to get sunset shot during the first half of the day. i think he did some in-camera color adjustments.

hi ts, since u think u know what judges and canon wants, next year u join and submit photos like that lor, if u join with the aim to be in the top 3.

seriously, we at Eye E City also gets lots of feedback like "what the hell, like that also kana selected", "not sharp also can mah?" etc.

but until u join us as full time volunteer, as facilitator and than in the judging of the photos, u will than know the amount of effort and debate involved in the process.

yes, some photos submitted may be better than the winning ones in any competitions, but if what u have submitted isn't what they want, than why should they select it?

it is the same with life mah, does it means a very cute looking girl will get a modeling job for high fashion? dont think so, maybe cos-play or car expo they can get.

Dennis, whatever it is, I still prefer your Eye the City and will continue to support it. :)

This one no horse run la.. if I was the judge, you will be going new zealand liao..:bsmilie:

This one no horse run la.. if I was the judge, you will be going new zealand liao..:bsmilie:

:embrass: think so highly ah, have still a lot to learn from P S S

for such kind words, let me CHANGE (theme1 submission) your wall

2958381010_6ce3513e8f_o.jpg

:embrass: think so highly ah, have still a lot to learn from P S S

for such kind words, let me CHANGE (theme1 submission) your wall

2958381010_6ce3513e8f_o.jpg

Learn from PSS? you goto be kidding me. just saw ur flickr!! you can be an instructor there liao lor!! :bigeyes::bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.