Canon Photo Marathon 2008 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
i gotta agree.. the constant time extensions were damn irritating.. i was so fed up, i left after submitting the 2nd theme, didn't want to end up staying until late in the evening, way past the expected 6pm cut off time.. i feel they should have just continued with the 2nd theme and whoever came back late just have less time for the next theme.. if not extend extend, then the pple who make it a point to come back in time are punished by those who were late.. i;m sure they can think of a mechanism to ensure pple submit 1 theme before going for the next.. rather than make 1100 pple wait, for 100 pple who were late..

Totally agreed with you. I stayed. cause i enjoy it. but yes, the extensions were irritating. Last time they didn't wait for the rest, they would say 10 mins more. once 10 mins is up, they announced it. I understand they want everyone to have a chance. but its unfair to those he stick to the timing.

YoYO...

Hook me up with NIKON Singapore...

It will be called Nikon "Meet & Talk" Photo Competition 2009

They will definetly make a better competition:
1) Nikon Category and Non-Nikon Category
2) Launch 3 themes, choose 2 themes to shoot and submit
3) 4 hours shooting time, wait for the next 4 hours for the results
4) Prize presentation ceremony at 6pm. End of Competition
5) No participate should be in the submitting photos ( this is not a solo photo shoot)

YoYO...

Hook me up with NIKON Singapore...

It will be called Nikon "Meet & Talk" Photo Competition 2009

They will definetly make a better competition:
1) Nikon Category and Non-Nikon Category
2) Launch 3 themes, choose 2 themes to shoot and submit
3) 4 hours shooting time, wait for the next 4 hours for the results
4) Prize presentation ceremony at 6pm. End of Competition
5) No participate should be in the submitting photos ( this is not a solo photo shoot)

Nikon Category and Non-Nikon Category
?

what's with the discrimination? :nono:
A photography competition should be based on photography skill, not equipment!

This way when someone submit the same location shot, we can compare which is a better lens and system.

Like previously, a lot photographers wanted the Canon Photo marathon to be for Canon Camera Users only.

This way when someone submit the same location shot, we can compare which is a better lens and system.

Like previously, a lot photographers wanted the Canon Photo marathon to be for Canon Camera Users only.

... i don't get your drift. you seem to have ignored what i just said.

Last edited:
i find the post above yours all the way up a few totally irrelevant already...

i guess some people shouldn't ever go join any competition cos they can't take failure... and they only love to hear nice things...

i think i should start a company to provide ego soothing services for those who have bruised egos from critiques and competitions. :devil:

ha ha ha, like that u will be million air next year this time liao.

I suggest you call it as "Nikon Photo - Triathlon competition". :bsmilie:
because there are 3 themes to be consider. ;)

Hurry! let's call Nikon this GREAT IDEA!

But with current Financial Crisis.... I doubt any Big organisation would like to do such event....:(

Best is having Canon Photo Marathon and Nikon Photo Marathon in the same day so that we can kill two birds with one stone. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
like that.. all the businesses around marina bay will restrict photomarathon photographers like what esplanade did :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I've been reading alot of the entries frm others. I think its kinda sad that pple are so negative towards the people who "Stage" their shots. Like the picture with the Mother holding her old picture, i find nothing wrong with that. I actually thought it was a great picture that made me smile.

I think we shouldn't be so negative towards the whole staged thing. Like someone mentioned earlier, there weren't any rules stating that staged pictures were allowed and it is yr own perception that you'd think that we should only stick to taking outdoor natural pictures.

I mean how many of the so called staged pictures on the board have you seen and said "I thought of that. I also can do!" At the end of it, we are all photographers coming together because we like one thing.. taking pictures, whether it be studio like shots, posed shots or outdoor shots. Everyone has their own comfort zone.

Yes, i may have taken what seemed/deemed like a "staged" shot for "Change" and got my displayed, but hey...try getting a a less than 2yr old little girl, to hug her mothers stomach the way she did.. haha! by the way i didn't tell her to hug her mother's stomach that way. It took me 2 hrs to get that 1 shot. and i let her do whatever she wanted.

But don't get me wrong, i'm not writing this cos "oh i took a "Posed" photo so i'm standing up for myself n the pple who did". i noe this might stir and annoy some pple. I just think that we shouldn't be talking so much smack abt it. Cause trust me... my other two categories, are TOTALLY not posed pictures. :)

N besides, it wasn't a totally biased selection of pictures, there were quite a few non staged pics too...

I've been reading alot of the entries frm others. I think its kinda sad that pple are so negative towards the people who "Stage" their shots. Like the picture with the Mother holding her old picture, i find nothing wrong with that. I actually thought it was a great picture that made me smile.

I think we shouldn't be so negative towards the whole staged thing. Like someone mentioned earlier, there weren't any rules stating that staged pictures were allowed and it is yr own perception that you'd think that we should only stick to taking outdoor natural pictures.

I mean how many of the so called staged pictures on the board have you seen and said "I thought of that. I also can do!" At the end of it, we are all photographers coming together because we like one thing.. taking pictures, whether it be studio like shots, posed shots or outdoor shots. Everyone has their own comfort zone.

Yes, i may have taken what seemed/deemed like a "staged" shot for "Change" and got my displayed, but hey...try getting a a less than 2yr old little girl, to hug her mothers stomach the way she did.. haha! by the way i didn't tell her to hug her mother's stomach that way. It took me 2 hrs to get that 1 shot. and i let her do whatever she wanted.

But don't get me wrong, i'm not writing this cos "oh i took a "Posed" photo so i'm standing up for myself n the pple who did". i noe this might stir and annoy some pple. I just think that we shouldn't be talking so much smack abt it. Cause trust me... my other two categories, are TOTALLY not posed pictures. :)

N besides, it wasn't a totally biased selection of pictures, there were quite a few non staged pics too...

to me, be is it so call "stage" or "Poses" or not. Be it fashion or Photojournalism etc, the point is can anyone click at the "right" time to get that moment?

Then Sg have ton of Richard Avedon and Copa liao lor, right?

Just share abit of what i have shot last sunday. Firewalking.

Are these "Stage" or not? Or poses?

img_1247.jpg

img_1229.jpg

img_1236.jpg

It just some samples for those "Pro" or "Curator" to give some advice as i am still learning how to shoot.

Will bye bye this thread. Anyone want to discuss or chat with me about this can PM me.

Enjoy shooting :)

Last edited:
Next:

The RULES of the competition:
1) You cannot be in the photos that you are submitting.
2) You cannot set up a scenerio to take the photo ( includes your own hand being used )
3) No Indoor Studio shoot. To be fair as not everyone can own and setup a studio.
4) Keep to the timing, once late to submit. Disqualified!
5) Do not take another printed document or poster as your subject

Dear Organisers are you looking at these?

You have very interesting input. Personally, I would prefer to see less staged shots in this contest. But how would you expect the organizer to enforces some of your suggested rules?

How can you tell a photo is staged or candid? The contestants and the judge will debate till the cows come home. We will end up lucky if we managed to finish even one theme at that rate, let alone the few themes you suggested.

Can anyone or the organiser please tell us who the judges were?

So secretive? For what, touting or corruption?

I understand that you might not be happy about the judges' decisions, but the event is over, so there's no point to keep harping on about it yes?

ah...
so this is the thread was all about :)
i thought is some kind of suggestion for better photo marathon next year...
now i realize it's just another brand-war / i hate rival brand thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.