Canon Photo Marathon 2008 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you shd pose your pics and LEAD us what it shd be taken? Or it's time for you to work in canon to lead them to a better standard?

Btw, i didt use my aunty. I shot my mum.

ahhh...so u r the one...one of my group actually shoot the same thing like your but he shoot it on the street at chinatown...not at home...I'm quite impress his spirit to look around and ask around even though he don't know them at all...but his work shortlisted in top 20 only...before the 2nd theme is out, we know the prawn get the 1st prize thru Canon insider, our morale r drop to the ground...the only fun part to join this contest is we get to see all sort of creative shots from 1282 contestants.... but they just show the canon videocam advertisement which repeat many time since early morning 730am while waiting for 'latecomer'...:thumbsd:

Like I say....

This competition has several controversal points.

Why called it photo marathon? Rubber time, extend and extend....

Why foreigns can join.... don't they have it in their country already? PR can join? When it was a local competition years ago. Fine.
Now that is stretch to some asian countries....

Why allow the staged subjects? Studio shoot, Picture within another picture, high tech shots etc

now i kinda don't understand your point...
foreigner can't join? why? because it's SINGAPORE photo marathon?
so SINGAPORE photo marathon suppose to be only for singaporean?
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

now i really don't understand your motive in starting this thread... :sweat:

ps : sorry, i'm a foreigner, i'm so paiseh to admit that im not singaporean... :embrass:

Like I say....

This competition has several controversal points.

Why called it photo marathon? Rubber time, extend and extend....

I also disappointed on the way handling time. Original is 9am, noon, 3pm and everything finish by 6pm. But it is late for about 2 hours. The organizer is not respecting time schedule. They can speed up the download by having more stations or have a simple one person queue for each station to speed it up. Just extend the time is not good.

just a thought...

when DSLR was first introduced, I remember many photography competitions held also received similar comments... At that time, digital images are competing with film images on the same level.

If the judge purely gauge the shot based on the final product, of course the digital image will be at an advantage.

We are not comparing apple to apple.

Perhaps this canon photomarathon competition should have 2 categories.

1) arranged shots
2) street shots.

just a 2 cents worth of thought :think:

No offence to the foreigners.Sorry.
I think Canon is PROMOTING their system with this event to all the asian countries.

Why have other countries for the same competitions? There is even restrictions.
Why the different in the country's prizes? Check it for yourself. You know what i mean.
WHY?

Why? I'm impressed with so many photographers that is behind this "MATRIX" Competition. Quote: You have the answer already, Why ask?

Can anyone please let the organiser know!

To be fair, sometimes when I hear the audiences laugh.... it's a GOOD photo.
But it wasn't even shortlisted! You tell me, 500 photographers laughing it shows
that THAT photo has a potential as a winning piece as compare to a few judges!
You TELL Me.

Perhaps this canon photomarathon competition should have 2 categories.

1) arranged shots
2) street shots.

adding my thoughts:

I think its very hard to enforce la, can have fellow participants to take off the canon shirt and pose mah.

And who is to say studio shot isn't fair? It still requires creativity, composition and mastery of lighting. As long as a picture is good and gets a reaction from the viewer, we wouldn't care whether its street or studio.

I also disappointed on the way handling time. Original is 9am, noon, 3pm and everything finish by 6pm. But it is late for about 2 hours. The organizer is not respecting time schedule. They can speed up the download by having more stations or have a simple one person queue for each station to speed it up. Just extend the time is not good.

Yes, I supposed the majority of us were upset with the time management of the organiser. The MC went about bragging about the OFFICIAL CLOCK, repeated again and again, even bothered to bring along the clock to show off, and in the end, he overrode what he bragged about. No respect for his own rules. He reminded participants to make time to return, taking into account thecrowd, suntec jam etc. Later he told those on time to give our friends a little more time bcos of the traffic around suntec. I woke up early, dragged my son out of bed, just to be on time; only to find myself waiting for others. It should have started on time, and let those late comers made up for their 'lost' time and play catchup.

So u support it?

When someone takes a photo of a scenery with a person standing. Is that a landscape or portrait shot?

What I mean is that this competition began back many years ago... with many good winning shots.
Look at now!

I shoot alone, aiya the scenery too plain nobody. I simply go inside and jump as high as I want!
Wow! that's a good shot!

Freedom to be in the air?

Why don't I JUST SHOOT POINT BLANK, white paper..... that's Freedom, Air is free!
And if it wins how would you feel?

You send it to famous prominent photographers and judge, I dare you.....

See what kind of reply u get.

adding my thoughts:

I think its very hard to enforce la, can have fellow participants to take off the canon shirt and pose mah.

And who is to say studio shot isn't fair? It still requires creativity, composition and mastery of lighting. As long as a picture is good and gets a reaction from the viewer, we wouldn't care whether its street or studio.

err... maybe I have not stated my point clear enough, sorry.

I am not saying that studio shots does not requires creativity and the rest of the stuff. I never said that.

My point is that, for a studio shot, you have the luxury to shot and re-shoot over and over again, if the result is not to your expectation in the big computer LCD screen, you can go back to adjust your lighting again, position your self again, and re-shoot until you are happy. Until you get that perfect composition and perfect lighting that creates the best impact to the theme.

If you go out for a candid shot, you do not get this freedom.

That's precisely my point. Well, some people might agree , some people might not, no big issue here, peace :)

ahhh...so u r the one...one of my group actually shoot the same thing like your but he shoot it on the street at chinatown...not at home...I'm quite impress his spirit to look around and ask around even though he don't know them at all...but his work shortlisted in top 20 only...before the 2nd theme is out, we know the prawn get the 1st prize thru Canon insider, our morale r drop to the ground...

yes, i am the luckier one who shot those who so call the Aunty. And i believe that the judges chosen mine over one of your group, there must be some reasons be it their personal preference or others etc....if u want to know, maybe u can try to contact them to ease your curiosity. I will respect the judges' decision even if my shot was not selected.

Oh, so you have "insider"? Why morale drop? Cos you find that you lesser chance to be a winner? That why some said it all about mindset when u out to shoot for this kind of event? Just to WIN or really go to have FUN? Or learn from others? TO know more same fanatics??? Ask yourself.

To me, whenever i am not comfortable with any photography contest then I WUN JOIN.

And for this contest, there are not specific of ways of shooting style. It just up to individual to interpret it after getting the "theme" and the rest will depend on the judges liao.

I think that the Prawn one is kind of interesting with his idea. That why he is the winner be it was a studio shot or not. Even given some have that idea, can they execute the same results?

I believe there are many also go around and look for the "best" shots of their too. And asking too, that's the reason why all of us were so tired that day.

What I mean is that this competition began back many years ago... with many good winning shots.
Look at now!

now that it's mentioned...im curious...how old is the photomarathon?
Anywhere that archives past winning photos/shortlisted photos?
Perhaps we could see where the standards are going...perhaps... :sweatsm:

Hmm, with so many participants, what if they just spend a week judging the entries instead of trying to pick 18 winners out of 4000 photos?

If judging quality and decision are in question, I think that should be addressed. The number of attendees or the quality of entries will be weeded out if they had more time.

Also, I'm not sure about Thailand and Vietnam, but in the Philippines, the contestants knew who the judges were and at least they knew what kind of judges were there, I don't think we (in SG) have a clue who the judges are other than close guesses based on which pro or speaker was present.

At the end of the day, the Canon Photo Marathon is a MARKETING event. It doesn't take a genius to realize that, it may be disappointing to see substandard entries being chosen, but the event is about Canon trying to get more visibility for their photographic, video, and printing products. Think of the prizes as raffles or lotteries instead so you won't be too disappointed as there will always be higher levels of competitions that will be worthy of your skill levels anyway.

I just went for the T shirt :p
and will contiune to go for the tee :p

Hey Ikkang, sorry my second sentence wasn't aimed at you.

Yeah you're right, candid shots are impossible to recreate, and should be more unique. Hence we'll have less chance of seeing endless shots of coins in the future. Errm I almost wanted to shoot coins for the 1st theme as well, but not enough $$ on me haha.

Don't play play.

I feel that the organiser should start to have more than ONE professional photographers as a JUDGES.
3 Pro judges with different expertise - eg. Studio, Nature and Photojournalist (from Newspaper Company)

Than the judging would be FAIRER.

Next, all 3 themes will be given at the same time. Each photographer CAN ONLY CHOOSE 2 themes.

Of course, this way the "difficult" theme will not be choosen.

Go out to shoot and come back within 4 hours.

Download only one photo from each theme. Total 2 photos from 2 themes.

Go and have it PRINT out (4R), write your descriptions and concept of your photos.

With the 2 printed photos submit to the organisers (not the judges) in a envelope.

Remember, do not write your IC number, your NAME or registration code on the photos. (Very Fair)

Wait for 4 hours for the judging, you may go home and rest... watch a movie etc.

Results will be announced. The WINNING photos will be projected on the screen.

Your photo is your camera is to prove that this shot is by you. (Very Fair)

Next:

The RULES of the competition:
1) You cannot be in the photos that you are submitting.
2) You cannot set up a scenerio to take the photo ( includes your own hand being used )
3) No Indoor Studio shoot. To be fair as not everyone can own and setup a studio.
4) Keep to the timing, once late to submit. Disqualified!
5) Do not take another printed document or poster as your subject

Dear Organisers are you looking at these?

Please read the above.

Can't wait for u to start ur own contest!!! :devil:

Don't play play.

I feel that the organiser should start to have more than ONE professional photographers as a JUDGES.
3 Pro judges with different expertise - eg. Studio, Nature and Photojournalist (from Newspaper Company)

Than the judging would be FAIRER.

Next, all 3 themes will be given at the same time. Each photographer CAN ONLY CHOOSE 2 themes.

Of course, this way the "difficult" theme will not be choosen.

Go out to shoot and come back within 4 hours.

Download only one photo from each theme. Total 2 photos from 2 themes.

Go and have it PRINT out (4R), write your descriptions and concept of your photos.

With the 2 printed photos submit to the organisers (not the judges) in a envelope.

Remember, do not write your IC number, your NAME or registration code on the photos. (Very Fair)

Wait for 4 hours for the judging, you may go home and rest... watch a movie etc.

Results will be announced. The WINNING photos will be projected on the screen.

Your photo is your camera is to prove that this shot is by you. (Very Fair)

Next:

The RULES of the competition:
1) You cannot be in the photos that you are submitting.
2) You cannot set up a scenerio to take the photo ( includes your own hand being used )
3) No Indoor Studio shoot. To be fair as not everyone can own and setup a studio.
4) Keep to the timing, once late to submit. Disqualified!
5) Do not take another printed document or poster as your subject

Dear Organisers are you looking at these?

Honestly, i cant wait to see you work for Canon for this event :) hahahahhaa

This thread will get no where, anyway, enjoy the thread :) Bye bye :bsmilie:

No point?

Like Jack Neo's Movie, Saying that Singaporean ALWAYS COMPLAIN!

Come on.... see what happen to the LEman Brothers.... Big Banks this days are falling!
Organiser cannot carry on with such a competition. We , Investor (Photographers) will lose everything!

They should REFORM and ADJUST the competition rules and judging! OR there will be NO BAILOUT package!

Status
Not open for further replies.