Approaches to use my photos for a commercial website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda

Jun 23, 2006
Singapore
www.amandaherbert.com
Hi,

I've had this mail and am currently checking that the person is genuine.

Hi,
I'm making a website for Pioneer Waterfront Apartments in Paihia, Northland, NZ. I see you have some stunning fern photos, I was wondering if it would be possible to use some of them in the website?
I will, of course, copyright the photo's to you, and if you wish, provide a link to your personal website, if you have one or your flickr photo page (or both).
Thanks,
Mhairi Longmuir

Can you give me a heads-up of what I should do to protect myself from abuse?

I was going to ask:
do they need a full res (which means some one might sell it on)?
will they add my water mark some where?
Is any payment going to be given?

thanks Mandy

You also need to ask the specific image/s to be used, and the exact ways they'll be used. Whatever it is, there should be an agreement drawn up on how you still retain the copyrights, and the restricted use (context and possible duration) that they have.

Hi,

I've had this mail and am currently checking that the person is genuine.

hi amanda,

it seems like the person who emailed you is just looking for a free ride, because his "payment" as claimed seems to be just exposure for you.

whether genuine or not, my advice is not to give them for free, unless you really feel like it. any exposure provided, frankly, will be very limited.

most of the time, this arises because people are not willing to pay for images, even when photographers have every right to sell them since there is effort put into making them.

another issue is of course, that you risk spoiling the market for people who are in this line for a living. if every amateur photographer gives out freebies, soon, the people who do actual stock photography, while definitely not losing their livelihood, will see reduced profits. it is not being very fair to them.

just for benefit of the doubt, if you are actually looking for renumeration, best to clarify with him.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write - I think I'll decline their offer. I've searched my own stream to find the photos they were talking about, and they aren't that great. I just can't imagine how they would use them on their website. As I only shoot for fun, I don't think embroiling myself in compromises is worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.