5D Mirror Drop Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder to all Canon folks: When collecting your gear, do check the mirror alignment thoroughly before signing above the dotted line. My friend's 5D had to be returned twice due to poor workmanship by CSC. The technician said they used their own 'local' glue because they don't have the factory standard glue in stock. Hence, there was ghosting and blurry vision when looking through the viewfinder. It was my friend's fault as well for now checking thoroughly but upon hearing how they treated my friend, I am rather disappointed with their level of service now.

Their own 'local' glue? Might as well say HIS own glue! :bsmilie:

yes, finally i have encountered my mirror dropped off. exactly the same situation and something i hope would not happen to me. Worst thing is that i was in travelling first day in Hang Zhiu China. My instinct told me that i must get it fixed myself immediately. What i did was to get some double sided tape from hotel reception, stick it on the black mylar, which is on the back of the mirror. After that, i pressed it firmly with a leather cloth. Remember not to block the centre as it would affect the metering. It works great until now but I notice more out of focus and have to compensate a bit more on my lens. The design tells me that the mirror's mylar was heatstike (4 point) to the base metal plate instead of the mirror. A process that i do not think is secure. I will definitely get to the bottom of this issue and get Canon to fix it for free.

Just had mine fixed last Thursday morning. Managed to get my camera back on friday by noon :) Seems they add some kinda clamp besides more glue.... And I got a free replacement focusing screen also haha..

Mine just send in today for Cmos cleaning and Shutter count check....they offered me to fix the Mirror...i had agreed. will collect tomorrow.

Hi Guys,

So even for the later batch(2008) of 5D, the mirror drop out problem will still occurs? Grey set can go to CSC for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.