5D Mirror Drop Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danntbt

Jul 28, 2004
Chestnut
dannytoh.multiply.com
Was using the 5D withg 70-200 L 2.8 yesterday morning when suddenly the viewfinder went black.....upon inspection after the lens was removed, the mirror and a piece of plactic about the size of the mirror droppe out....heard this happened before to a few other CSer...but am wondering if there are many such occurrence.....question is - how reliable is 5D if this happans often? ....imagine if you were using it for an event without backup when this happened.

ouch!!! How old is your 5D?

is it? hey, i have a friend how encountered this too and i thought it was just 1 out of a million but looks like it is a common fault in 5D.

is it? hey, i have a friend how encountered this too and i thought it was just 1 out of a million but looks like it is a common fault in 5D.

maybe newer batch has addressed this :dunno:

Was using the 5D withg 70-200 L 2.8 yesterday morning when suddenly the viewfinder went black.....upon inspection after the lens was removed, the mirror and a piece of plactic about the size of the mirror droppe out....heard this happened before to a few other CSer...but am wondering if there are many such occurrence.....question is - how reliable is 5D if this happans often? ....imagine if you were using it for an event without backup when this happened.

hi, is the piece of mirror covered under the product warranty ?

:think:

hi, is the piece of mirror covered under the product warranty ?

:think:

yup.. you should be able to get it fixed for free... but please don't happen to me when I am in the middle of an event :sweat:

Got it fixed, no question asked, and a sheepish smile from technician when asked if this is common......camera is barely 5 months old.....and to think I took it along as a backup on my recent trip....would have been 2 dead bodies if my main camera died....thankfully it happened during an unimportant shoot.

Got it fixed, no question asked, and a sheepish smile from technician when asked if this is common......camera is barely 5 months old.....and to think I took it along as a backup on my recent trip....would have been 2 dead bodies if my main camera died....thankfully it happened during an unimportant shoot.

Do you need to show your warranty card and did they tell you how they fix it? Will it happen again? It will be stupid if this happen after warranty expires :cry: Looks like a serious QA issue

Sent it in before for cleaning.....but never showed warranty card, they have record of my ownership.....but come to think about it, also never showed them receipt before....guess this issue is an expected flaw so they never even bothered to check whether the camera was under warranty.

Maybe can hope more 5Ds will keep dropping their mirrors......and we all get the new 5D MkII.....when it comes out......

Sent it in before for cleaning.....but never showed warranty card, they have record of my ownership.....but come to think about it, also never showed them receipt before....guess this issue is an expected flaw so they never even bothered to check whether the camera was under warranty.

Maybe can hope more 5Ds will keep dropping their mirrors......and we all get the new 5D MkII.....when it comes out......

Don't like that leh.. I don't want my mirror to drop out :(

Mine also dropped out abt 2mths ago, twice, only after sending in my cam for cleaning. Ever since, the lead tech gave me a new mirror and stuck tons of glue all over the mirror piece for me after I warned them.

As his advice also, once the mirror got glued in, dont use it for the next 24hrs for the glue to be firmly dried.

Also, check your lens in case there were glass bits on the back element. Make them check it.

sound so scary :sweat:

Why not your guy feed back to Japan HQ such problem??

Why not your guy feed back to Japan HQ such problem??

Canon SG already know.. what is the use of telling HQ when SG subsidiary is not doing anything about it. they are supposed to be the direct proxy. (Maybe it has already done something.. I believe there will be statistics of services being reported back to HQ :dunno: )
Could it be that the FF Mirror is larger and heavier than usual 1.6x and 1.3x? Thus more prone to dropping.. don't know.. mechanical stuff too technical for me

This is like the Ring.

Once someone else posts up a 5D mirror fallout, the fellow users who view this thread will have theirs falling out too.

I am immune because I rather use 1.25x Canons anytime.

Could it be that the FF Mirror is larger and heavier than usual 1.6x and 1.3x? Thus more prone to dropping.. don't know.. mechanical stuff too technical for me

No offense, but this is a ridiculous theory. Before the digital era, Canon's top of the line SLR was the 1V, and it costs (merely?) half the price of the 5D (introduced at ~$6.5k?). The 1V was reputed to be able to survive any condition, and now Canon cannot glue the mirror of a six thousand dollar camera in place?

i wonder if we 5D users can unite and storm into Canon Service Centre and demand a free 'preventive-reglueing'? Certainly, having the mirror drop out in the middle of a job is unacceptable, even if they reglue it back for free afterwards. "A photographer is only as good as his last job."

I'll be traveling on an 18 day trip to China in about 10 days time with a 5D. Is there any way to ensure that I won't face this problem during my trip? My poor trip leader had his mirror fall off his 5D on the very first shoot of our 12 day trip earlier this year. Luckily he had a backup of a 10D but what a let down. I'll really do anything to make sure this problem doesn't arise with me. My 5D is only about 4 months old but has Canon fixed this problem? (I'll be renting a 20D as a backup for this trip in case of a similar problem!)

Status
Not open for further replies.