500D Users Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
newbie reporting in....

HELLO EVERYONE~!!!

Welcome Steven!!

The nice thing about auto-ISO is that the camera can select incremental steps (like 640, 1250 etc) which isn't manually possible. But it only goes up to a max of 1600. If 1600 doesn't give you a fast enough speed, you'll have to manually crank it up further.
It's too bad that the 500D's 'auto'-ISO locks to 400 in manual mode, otherwise you can fix an aperture and shutter and let the camera adjust the ISO to maintain both-very useful for action shots. Even the 50D suffers that deficiency, you'll have to get the 7D to have it-firmware crippling on Canon's part. I believe most Nikons can do that.

Actually you don't have to manually crank it up. If you're okay with using a higher ISO, you can change the auto ISO limit in your settings.

Am interested in getting a speedlite 580 ex 2 for use on my 500d.
Can anyone advise whether it is good?
And whats the price of the flash.

Yep, it's good. It's the top-of-the-line flash from Canon. You can also get creative and shoot wirelessly. However it is very very expensive. Earlier this year, I was quoted $800+ for a new one. Dunno issit the guy trying to cheat me or what, but I think you can expect the price to be around there.

If you're just starting out on flash, I would suggest getting the Nissin di622 instead. It's half the price and can also shoot wirelessly. I use it for events as well and it does the job.

just curious, any way to check the counter for 500D?

does taking video add to the shuttle count, example every min of video = 1 count.

just curious, any way to check the counter for 500D?

does taking video add to the shuttle count, example every min of video = 1 count.

you'll need to connect the 500D to a PC to check the shutter count apparently. I haven't tried it, so I don't really know. But one trick I use is to go to the camera settings, and have the camera continue the numbering sequence for every shot. So even if you've formatted your memory card, the next time you take a photo, the photo number will be from where you left off.

Yep, I believe the video counts as 1 shutter count.

you'll need to connect the 500D to a PC to check the shutter count apparently. I haven't tried it, so I don't really know. But one trick I use is to go to the camera settings, and have the camera continue the numbering sequence for every shot. So even if you've formatted your memory card, the next time you take a photo, the photo number will be from where you left off.

Yep, I believe the video counts as 1 shutter count.

so take 30mins of video = 30 counts?

anyone tried this test?

Hello All,
I am newbies 500D user report in!!Got my 1st DSLR last week.

Count me in guys! :)

so take 30mins of video = 30 counts?

anyone tried this test?

wah... this one not sure. truth be told, I haven't tried the HD video recording function on my camera yet.

wah... this one not sure. truth be told, I haven't tried the HD video recording function on my camera yet.

no problem, just curious.

I heard the HD Video recording is good, so might bring it out in my next tour for some video recording since it is built into 500D. All my previous tour, i will use a Videocam to take video, and use a compact camera to take photo, so abit troublesome.

hi all

i got my 500D with kit lens about 2 weeks ago. my first camera!! :)

this camera is good, but doing AEB required so many steps... really make me lazy to repeat the steps... now i understand why people pay more for a camera with more controls..

but it is really a great camera in its own class!

:)

if anyone can try recording 3 mins of video and see the shuttle increase, please post here. wish to know before my 500D arrives in 2 weeks time.

Actually you don't have to manually crank it up. If you're okay with using a higher ISO, you can change the auto ISO limit in your settings.
Nikons can do that. The 500D doesn't have that function (manual pg. 61).

I am using the standard kit 1... i am new..can yi learn from you

Originally Posted by BlackShadow
Hello All,
I am newbies 500D user report in!!Got my 1st DSLR last week.

Count me in guys!

welcome! which kit are you using?

regarding the question on whether video recording in 500D increase the shuttle count, i got the answer from a salesman in CP, he told me it will not increase the shuttle count as video and photo are using different circuit, the mirror will not slap during video mode hence no shuttle count increase.

Nikons can do that. The 500D doesn't have that function (manual pg. 61).

oh crap! I've been had! Ah well, at least the ISO button next to the trigger allows easy access. thanks for clarifying.

I am using the standard kit 1... i am new..can yi learn from you

haa, i'm a newbie too bro, not at a level where I dare to accept students yet. But we can all share our experiences.

One book I found useful as a beginner was Scott Kelby's book on photography, Volume 1. It's about $30. You can buy Vol. 1 to Vol. 3 as a set for about $80, but Volume 1 is really all you need as a beginner. Volume 2 teaches you about studio and outdoor lighting, and Volume 3 builds upon what he teaches in Volume 1 and 2. (So don't just skip to the last book. if you want, buy only Volume 1, or buy all 3)

Hi Guys, I like to join in too. Hope to find some fun in photographing and learn more from everyone here. I'm new with this DSLR Canon 500D EFS 18-55IS. Wanting to find out where I can get the best lobang and minimise the cost for new gadgets like Wide angle lens and Macro Lens.

Live to see the beauty of the world.
Zachary

Hi brothers, :)

I Have been thinking of getting a beginner-level DSLR for a very long time.And i m planning to get one by new year.after closely following canon and nikon,for quite sometime, i have developed an interest in the eos 500d.

1)Going for canon for its popularity among DSLR brands.
2)Changed my mind from getting a 1000d to 500d cos of the new digic 4 processor.
3)Paying by credit card/24 mths installment.So planning to buy during IT show for more free gifts.
4)Checked alanphoto website and found price as $1169(i do not know if the price is also the same for credit card installments)

So brothers,i need your advice in the following matter

1) is canon really better than nikon or is it just marketting aggressively?
Is 500d really better than d5000 nikon?

2) a) Does digic 4 really has the edge over digic 3?
b) or being a super-beginner shall i just go for the value for money 1000d ($809- alanphoto)

3) a) Is it possible to buy 500d for a much lower price paying by cash?
b) Is it worth waiting the IT show if paying by installment ?

4) a)Does alanphoto honour its price from website? Is there a better deal in town?
http://www.alanphoto.com.sg/canonslr.html

5) a) Is a drybox neccessary?
b) Not planning to PwP speedlite 270 ex.Is it a wrong move?

Pls enlighten me wth your knowledge.
I have 95% made up my mind to get a 500d.But still $1300 is a lot of money for me to invest(otherwise i'll just get the 1000d).:)

Last edited:
I have 95% made up my mind to get a 500d.But still $1300 is a lot of money for me to invest(otherwise i'll just get the 1000d).:)

500d KIT1 only 1160 from MS and CP. If get from Canon priviledge program, price only $1032, can check the Canon buy back program thread.

mid range DSLR Canon 50D also using digic 4, same as 500D, so should be good.

as for 1000D, no comments, but if i have a choice, i will take 450D over 1000D anytime.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Am also a new user for 500D.

Topic on shuttle count is, the number change with different SD card. I have 3 SD cards, and have used the 3 of them on my camera.

Funny things is, Putting different card into the camera actually give different shots number reading. So i would say the number on the camera might not be tally after all. The trainer for the basic user course told me, only service centre can give actual reading of shutter count.

that's my experience. ;)

Hi All,

Am also a new user for 500D.

Topic on shuttle count is, the number change with different SD card. I have 3 SD cards, and have used the 3 of them on my camera.

Funny things is, Putting different card into the camera actually give different shots number reading. So i would say the number on the camera might not be tally after all. The trainer for the basic user course told me, only service centre can give actual reading of shutter count.

that's my experience. ;)

there is a software to check the shuttle count of 500D, just need to download the software and connect using usb cable. you may want to do a search.

Hi Speedtest,

Is $1160 including credit card installments.What is the package?

Thanks for replying to my earlier post

Status
Not open for further replies.