XF14mm F2.8

I like it a lot too, and it's f/2.8, that's the difference and I guess part of the reason we have to pay more besides the good optics (better if they made it f2 of course, like the 18mm). That will make it easier for your street shooting too, in daytime or night.
AF was good, but I especially like the MF mode with its distance scales. Hate the aperture ring, though, so easy to move.

also got my xf14mm and only just got the time to properly set up my x-pro1 to use with it.

now i can use OVF full time since parrallex error not so much of issue now and even switch off the corrected frame setting. very good to go for street shooting now. I just simply Love the xf14mm now.

Last edited:
Well, Chris Weeks (APhotoContributor: Digital Kool-Aid.) thinks the 18mm is great looking at pictures, those who measure it with tools find it wanting.

It really doesn't matter to someone who knows how to take a picture :), what matters is the picture. To quote Weeks - "Funny thing is I know more kids with Canon digital Rebels doing better work than 99% of the guys wearing a Leica." The f2 speed of the 18mm I think makes it more of a dilemma to choose betweeen 18mm and 14mm, at least for street use where border sharpness I find is not as relevant than in landscape.

Then again, there is the GAS ... I think this 14mm is not just decent , it's great, and with low distortion. That's looking at pictures and not measurements of course.

Seems like quite a lot of forumers bought the XF14. My XF18 is the most used lens (my walkaround lens) due to its compact design and wide FoV. I only use the XF35 for close-up and portraiture.

Now I have to decide if I should still keep the XF18. In terms of FoV the XF14 isn't drastically wider than the XF18 and based on my brief usage it seems like the XF14 has much better IQ than my XF18. Need to spend more time with both lens to see if XF14 is too wide to serve as my walkaround lens.

For those looking for a decent wide angle lens for your x-system do give the XF14 a serious consideration.

Last edited:
the XF18mm IS A SHARP LENS. and in some cases it produces sharper image (center) than the xf35mm. not because it has better optics than the xf35mm, but the 35mm itself has AF accuracy problem. the 18mm is not a bad lens and the only weakness is the corner sharpness, thats all.

i do love the 18mm but now the 14mm is here to stay. btw 21mm (FF equiv) is not very wide also. it will depend how much involvement you want to put yourself into that street photography.

the 14mm is more difficult to use due to its optical perspective. but used correctly it gives mind blowing result IMHO. :)

Is anyone holding on to your credit card and wait for the Zeiss 12mm? Coz at almost $1200, seems like the XF14 isn't going to be much cheaper than the Zeiss (expected to retail at EUR1k). Plus the Zeiss will have native Fuji mount and an additional 2mm focal length perspective.

Is anyone holding on to your credit card and wait for the Zeiss 12mm? Coz at almost $1200, seems like the XF14 isn't going to be much cheaper than the Zeiss (expected to retail at EUR1k). Plus the Zeiss will have native Fuji mount and an additional 2mm focal length perspective.

My guess is that buyers will sit and wait for the XF10-24 f/4 OIS when Zeiss releases the 12mm in April.

Some sample shots:

DSCF5710 by daniel.y?, on Flickr
Original (SOOC): Flickr
EXIF: 1/800s, f/11, ISO800

DSCF5709 by daniel.y?, on Flickr
Original (SOOC): Flickr
EXIF: 1/300s, f/11, ISO800

Some initial thoughts (compare to my XF18):
Pros:
1. solid built (in comparison the XF18 feels hollow like a coke can)
2. internal focusing
3. decent center sharpness, good corners (XF18 has mushy corners)
4. very low optical distortion
5. OVF on X-Pro1 remains usable

Cons:
1. plastic hood, I prefer the squashed metal hood on the XF18... easier to store the lens in my bag
2. aperture ring feels loose compared to my other 2 XF lenses
3. only 14mm... one will never have enough of wide-ness. Wish this is a 10mm

my first sample with the 14mm

8420695526_c1c16c7170_b.jpg

Some sample shots:

Pros:
1. solid built (in comparison the XF18 feels hollow like a coke can)
2. internal focusing
3. decent center sharpness, good corners (XF18 has mushy corners)
4. very low optical distortion
5. OVF on X-Pro1 remains usable

Cons:
1. plastic hood, I prefer the squashed metal hood on the XF18... easier to store the lens in my bag
2. aperture ring feels loose compared to my other 2 XF lenses
3. only 14mm... one will never have enough of wide-ness. Wish this is a 10mm

Pros:
1. solid built (in comparison the XF18 feels hollow like a coke can)  XF18 just feel light la. Nothing sort of coke can so kua zhang. LOL..
2. internal focusing  Yah one of my biggest pro also.
3. decent center sharpness, good corners (XF18 has mushy corners)  you sure just “decent”? haha..
4. very low optical distortion  very true…
5. OVF on X-Pro1 remains usable  still will expect some unwanted objects appearing at the corner at times.

Cons:
1. plastic hood, I prefer the squashed metal hood on the XF18... easier to store the lens in my bag  I hate the flower hood too. Same thought here.
2. aperture ring feels loose compared to my other 2 XF lenses  I added a little grease in that aperture ring and it feels the same as the XF35mm aperture ring now. No more loose rattling sound.

the aperture ring on the XF14 spins with less friction compared to my other XF lenses. just a light push and it will jump to the next aperture value.
XF18 and XF35 has firmer aperture ring, the aperture indentations has more solid "feedback" compared to the XF14.

There is no way I can avoid changing the aperture accidentally when I mount the lens. Happens on both my 14mm and 35mm.

I guess its the price to pay for the compactness of the XF lenses. Irritated me for a while, then I remembered the giant honking lenses they replaced (on my DSLR)! :p

This got nothing to do with the compactness. Voiglander is also compact. I have never accidentally changed the aperture

I have developed this habit of twisting the lens to the max aperture whenever I mount a lens on my x-pro1. :bsmilie: Lock the lens onto the mount, give the aperture ring a full left twist and start shooting. No problem changing the aperture during composition as the aperture value appears on the EVF/OVF.

Most of the M-mount lenses has aperture ring at the front of the lens thus it is unlikely one will grab the aperture ring during mount/dismount of the lens.

yrh0413 said:
I have developed this habit of twisting the lens to the max aperture whenever I mount a lens on my x-pro1. :bsmilie: Lock the lens onto the mount, give the aperture ring a full left twist and start shooting. No problem changing the aperture during composition as the aperture value appears on the EVF/OVF.

Most of the M-mount lenses has aperture ring at the front of the lens thus it is unlikely one will grab the aperture ring during mount/dismount of the lens.

Agree. M mount wides aperture ring seldom will accidentally turned during usage. It's really compact on d CV 15.

Yes, just preparing to take a shot like raising the camera to one's eye can accidentally move the aperture ring. No problem in landscape, but it sure is on the streets.

I just experimented putting a rubber band coiled twice around the lens, just over the aperture ring numbers. Works great ! But not very elegant, need to find a tight-fitting rubber ring that will do the same job.

the aperture ring on the XF14 spins with less friction compared to my other XF lenses. just a light push and it will jump to the next aperture value.
XF18 and XF35 has firmer aperture ring, the aperture indentations has more solid "feedback" compared to the XF14.