XF14mm F2.8

got this lens together with the 35mm f/1.4 when i purchased my X-E1 body. excellent stuff!

thought of getting this lens from HK. just a quick question, does fujifilm lens come with international warranty if purchase from HK? anyone know the street price in HK now for this lens? the last check was HK$6100 online...

Some initial thoughts (compare to my XF18):
Cons:
1. plastic hood, I prefer the squashed metal hood on the XF18... easier to store the lens in my bag  I hate the flower hood too. Same thought here.
2. aperture ring feels loose compared to my other 2 XF lenses  I added a little grease in that aperture ring and it feels the same as the XF35mm aperture ring now. No more loose rattling sound.

Does anyone knows what the "grease" part is about? My 14mm aperture ring also feel loose like most other bros here... Is there a "fix"?

hmm dunno eh. too me my 14mm feels alright lol.

but apparently everyone saying theirs is loose.

Just got mine. Utterly amazing lens! I would say it's my favourite XF lens. I also have the 18mm, 35mm and 60mm, and I can say that this 14mm will be semi-permanently mounted on my camera body from now on :) The aperture ring is quite light to turn, but I won't call it "loose". Certainly no rattling sound.

Does anyone knows what the "grease" part is about? My 14mm aperture ring also feel loose like most other bros here... Is there a "fix"?

Yes, use a rubber band, like those used for preventing zoom lens creep. Like here :

Stop Zoom Creep - LENS BAND

You can buy wristbands from handphone accessories shops, where they sell bands for teens ... find a size with a tight fit for your lens ... like these :

Custom Rubber Bracelets Silicone Bracelets 1 inch Silicone Wristbands

It's important, there are some times one is shooting under pressure and fast in the streets and after the shots, one realizes the aperture was not the one intended, it just "sneaked in" without being noticed in the heat of the moment.

Those who have no issues with the loose aperture rings are those who have all the time in the world shooting landscapes on a tripod, or just plain shoot slow. Of course, there is little chance one accidentally changes the aperture, everything is under control before the shot is taken. It's a wide angle after all, but they can be used beyond landscapes too.

Last edited:
Yes, use a rubber band, like those used for preventing zoom lens creep. Like here :

You can buy wristbands from handphone accessories shops, where they sell bands for teens ... find a size with a tight fit for your lens ... like these :

It's important, there are some times one is shooting under pressure and fast in the streets and after the shots, one realizes the aperture was not the one intended, it just "sneaked in" without being noticed in the heat of the moment.

Those who have no issues with the loose aperture rings are those who have all the time in the world shooting landscapes on a tripod, or just plain shoot slow. Of course, there is little chance one accidentally changes the aperture, everything is under control before the shot is taken. It's a wide angle after all, but they can be used beyond landscapes too.

yup i shoot landscapes

... like that very hard to change aperture leh??? ya lor. I HATE the aperture ring of the 14mm. So easy to move accidentally. Really crazy lor.

That is why I will like the X-M1. It will allow me to program aperture using camera dials. You can fix the aperture ring at A and use camera to program. The tiltable LCD is also very useful for UWA.

Last edited:
It's a very high quality lens, work around it lor. I hardly change aperture once set during a session.

X-m1 ? Don't know about that camera, but isn't that a lower quality camera ? Fixed lens ?

anyway, whatever helps you take a better picture, that is the right one :)

... like that very hard to change aperture leh??? ya lor. I HATE the aperture ring of the 14mm. So easy to move accidentally. Really crazy lor.

That is why I will like the X-M1. It will allow me to program aperture using camera dials. You can fix the aperture ring at A and use camera to program. The tiltable LCD is also very useful for UWA.

Last edited:
It's a very high quality lens, work around it lor. I hardly change aperture once set during a session.

X-m1 ? Don't know about that camera, but isn't that a lower quality camera ? Fixed lens ?

anyway, whatever helps you take a better picture, that is the right one :)

It's a watered down version of the xe1

same size as x20

Oh, thanks, I guess I am not keeping up. X-M1 is an interesting camera, smaller and more "modern" controls. Size difference reminds of the Olympus E-PL1, small cheaper version than the full PEN at the time, but I chose it at the time as it had a weak anti-alias filter which I thought gave a better quality image (even if it is supposed to be the budget model), and it has served me well.

I still like the X-E1 though, and I like Fuji lenses because they have aperture rings, makes me feel at home, being a manual focus lens user most of the time.

X-M1 vs X-E1 vs X-PRO1 vs X20 vs X100S size comparison! | Fuji Rumors