Which brand will you choose as your next memory card?

Which brand is your next memory card?

Results are only viewable after voting.

this is an old thread to revive...

I still prefer Sandisk. No problems after 2 years of hard usage :)

this is an old thread to revive...

I still prefer Sandisk. No problems after 2 years of hard usage :)

yah very old leh. when i saw on page 1 Elite Pro 4GB at $359, i went :bigeyes::bigeyes:

then i saw it was in 2005 :bsmilie:

using the kingston elite pro for 2yrs + now. no probs at all. suspected that there was something wrong and convergent changed a brand new one for me on the spot :thumbsup:

Actually guys,i dont really mind Kingston.When i went to source for CF card,i found out that the price for faster Sandisk cards were more expensive than the Kingston Ultimate II 266x.The particular shop sold the Sandisk Extreme II 2GB(which was a miserable 10MB/s write speed) at $90+!At another shop,the Kingston Ultimate II 266x 4GB retailed for only $100.10.I been using Kingston for some time and there's no prob with it

kena playbackside by Kingston mem card twice, where the card is "unable to detect" in the mist of an underwater shoot, NO MORE leh.

The card was replaced by Kingston's agent, but I lost 1 day of photo and was lucky that someone can lend me a spare card for the duration of the trip.

I also got bad experience with Kingston. EVEN Kingston Ultimate. Aftersales is great, card replaced, but my faith has been weakened. Went to Myanmar trip and the card cant be read successfully and images got corrupted, then found out from the other guys they have heard bad stories about it and all now are using Sandisk. I guess it was the cold weather (but Kingston website guarantee operability for Ultimate from 0 degree celcius and the coldest it got over there at the time of incident was around 4 degree celcius). I mean after sales service is good, but I cant wait for after sales service in a third world country stuck in a resort on the other side of the lake where you need to take 2 hour boat ride to the other more civilised side (more people, got road link to other villages and cities).
Now, I am stocking Sandisk only. Still have my kingston but only using that for daily streetshots in singapore.

Got my new Canon Powershot SX100IS and looked hi & low for a new mem card.

In the end, i settled for Toshiba's SDHC 4Gb (Class6, Made in Japan with Lifetime warranty). Cost HK$280 or about S$50.

Unlike the few other brands i saw, Made in China, I think Made In Japan still carries weight in reliability.

Got my new Canon Powershot SX100IS and looked hi & low for a new mem card.

In the end, i settled for Toshiba's SDHC 4Gb (Class6, Made in Japan with Lifetime warranty). Cost HK$280 or about S$50.

Unlike the few other brands i saw, Made in China, I think Made In Japan still carries weight in reliability.

Where did you bought the card from? I want to buy too. :)

I go for SanDisk, got bad experiences with Kingston before. Never tried Lexar though.
For a couple of dollar more, reliabilty of SanDisk is worth it.

I also have bad experiences with Kingston, now only stick with Sandisk.
However, Sandisk cost a fair bit more, not just a couple of dollars.

I don't know why. I am seem attached to kingston..maybe it has something to do with the word "king" hahah.

You will thank Sandisk and curse kingston when you lose some of your most precious shots.

How about Transend CF card? Any one has any bad experience?

I would rather carry 4 pieces of 1GB than 1 piece of 4GB. I do not like to put all my eggs in one basket. If the basket breaks, all eggs gone. In 4 baskets at least if one breaks still have 3.

Why not 4 pieces of 4GB card? It give you more headroom if you shoot raw or do multiple exposures....besides with at least 12Mps cam nowadays....memory is always no enought :lovegrin:

Why not 4 pieces of 4GB card? It give you more headroom if you shoot raw or do multiple exposures....besides with at least 12Mps cam nowadays....memory is always no enought :lovegrin:

Because back in 2005 when he posted the reply, a 4GB card costs $360 :bsmilie:

_

Even the Professionals prefer to have many smaller capacity cards dan all in one... it's definitely much safer to do so...

plus if they have assistant, DI artist, some1 doing PP, etc, can send 1 card for processing 1st while shooting on another card.

i tink i'll choose kingston. cheap and so far so gd for me. looking at 133x ones.

Btw buying CF card don't just consider the price alone, must consider the technical specs like operating temperature etc, imagine if you go shooting at winter -10C but your CF operating temp is 0c - 60c ....chances of failure sure high....if that happens....don't blame the CF no good :lovegrin:

Also, if you do not have high speed reader then no point buying those 40MBps read/write card as the bottleneck is in the reader :lovegrin:

Btw buying CF card don't just consider the price alone, must consider the technical specs like operating temperature etc, imagine if you go shooting at winter -10C but your CF operating temp is 0c - 60c ....chances of failure sure high....if that happens....don't blame the CF no good :lovegrin:

Also, if you do not have high speed reader then no point buying those 40MBps read/write card as the bottleneck is in the reader :lovegrin:

Even with that can you believe the tech spec? Kingston failed me at 5 degree celcius. The specs stated that its operating temperature starts from 0 degree.
Even when I actually lost (or someone stole from my bag) a batch of 3 x 2MB kingston, I don't actually feel sad, because I have reason to buy more sandisk now.

You should sue Kingston then :sweatsm:

I complain and they replace the card. That is all. But I dont want to waste my time again with that brand. I still use Kingston memory for my PC, but no more for my camera. Too risky.

I use

el cheapo chapmuck brand memory card like emtec, ...etc...
kingston
sandisk
transcend

a memory card can be too good and too fast for your device
I found out with transcend
so expensive and cannot use properly with hp ipaq

switch to cheaper (much cheaper) sandisk
works beautifully

kingston - so far never try to work at 5º C
I will freeze first and conk out.
digicam pics is not the priority worry then

at normal temp I expect it to be ok