Where to go to contemplate life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do volunteer work.

Maybe WWOOF if you want something less emotionally-straining.

Wow thanks all for the suggestions...

@limwhow: What Land of Snow are u referring to? North-west? Meaning Europe?

altern8tif, I am referring to Tibet.
I have been there twice. Each time I come back, I find myself changed in ways which I cannot described.
Each time is a life-changing experience.
Each time I come back home and realise that I begun to accept things more readily. I fight much lesser with myself inside.
And I am more relaxed.
There has never been a place like Tibet that has changed me so much.
Sincerely.

Certainly everyone at one time or another encounters
dark clouds and storms in his life which threaten to
wreck his emotions and attitude. To start changing
there are three robbers you have to put in jail. Their
names are Mr. Pride, Mr. Anger and Mr. Hatred.

Another perspective to look into is to forget yourself
unto greatness. Man must lose himself to find himself.

Well said, forward, well said.
If I may add in. Aside from Pride, Anger and Hatred that you have mentioned, also Greed and Ignorance. After seeing how a very harsh and unforgiving environment nurtures a people who is intrinsically gentle and compassionate, one just finds that Greed and Anger is so much more meaningless.
.. and yes, let go of himself, as forward also aptly pointed out. Like a butterfly - the more you want to catch it, the more it flies away. Let it go, and it will naturally come back and rest on your shoulder.

I personally feel, the place where you contemplate life, is the place you will be living in.

It may backfire if you go somewhere else with different living conditions, experiences etc,

only to come back to the place where you will face reality, which may be different.

Why not try to find the quiet and peacefulness in you locally? It could be here. :)

TS,

It took me 1+ year (without work) to contemplate about life. Initially, I thought it will only be 3-6mths. Haha.

The best and most comforting place which I found is actually ... right beside my parents. :)

My Parents accept me whoever I'm ... and gave me the best advice.

About money:
"Money is not everything, but without money, how did I buy everything that is around you?"

About problems:
"When you are young, you have problem wearing your shoes and tying your shoe laces. The problem is gone now because you are willing to learn and solve it yourself."

About future:
"You can get all the wealth/power/etc, but during the last days in your life, all you have is a spoon of porridge."

But nonetheless, it is still good reason to find excuse to travel the world for 2 months ... :)

Last edited:
I personally feel, the place where you contemplate life, is the place you will be living in.

It may backfire if you go somewhere else with different living conditions, experiences etc,

only to come back to the place where you will face reality, which may be different.

Why not try to find the quiet and peacefulness in you locally? It could be here. :)

Agree with this too :thumbsup:

Heard some people contemplate their daily life every night just before sleeping. I can't do that yet, most of the time I lay down it is too tiring to think about anything :sweat:

To contemplate and reflect about your life is not
by taking a two months trip to remote places with
your camera in the aim of capturing beautiful scenery,
people and their activities.

To find out who you are, the first thing is to find
out how you can live right. The current pursue of
pleasure, entertainment, sightseeing etc can jolt
you from achieving what you intend to achieve.

You must adjust your thinking right now in the
aim of finding out who made you so that you start
to reinforce your mind with excellent perspective
of your life.

Somehow you may have certain people who had came
into your life at various time but they didn't help
made or break your perspective.

Certainly everyone at one time or another encounters
dark clouds and storms in his life which threaten to
wreck his emotions and attitude. To start changing
there are three robbers you have to put in jail. Their
names are Mr. Pride, Mr. Anger and Mr. Hatred.

Another perspective to look into is to forget yourself
unto greatness. Man must lose himself to find himself.
So if you have decided to take a break by getting away
let the time and the journey be not in the state of
anxiousness and picture taking expectations. Instead
have your goal on human connections. Sincere and
real connections starts with the heart. To me this is
one real purpose of life. ;):)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would still go to Ladakh and not Tibet. The original Buddhist culture is better preserved in Ladakh than in Tibet, and there's no politics like the rubbish that the Chinese are doing in Tibet. There are 3 Han Chinese to each Tibetan. Most of the monks are now refugees in Ladakh or Dharamsala. As much as I'd love to recommend Tibet , I don't think it's the best place to contemplate life. The PRC is notorious for torturing Tibetans since 1950. The number of original monasteries built before 1950 has fallen from around 6,000 to something like 13 or 14.

Going away to a secluded spot is always a good way to throw away the thoughts clouding your mind and you are indeed fortunate to be able to afford to do it. But actually, many people have already found the meaning of life without having to travel far.

They found it in religion.

Good luck in your journey.

perhaps TS wants to share with us nature of his crisis first?

money ?
love ?
death of loved one?
trapped at a artistic plateau ?

He's probably referring to the Himalayas. Or i'm just presuming.

India - I'd go to Uttaranchal, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh
Hey,

Yes , I was referring to Himalayas, byt it's "she" not "he". Ha. ha!

Morocco is not expensive at all. You have beautiful Atlas mountains over there, a desert, small villages in the middle of nowhere, camels, beduins, traditional mint tea, great food - it's a very exotic country, perfect from a break from everyday life.

January is the coldest month though. It's about 20 degrees and sunny during the day, but at night the temprature can drop even to 7 degrees. So maybe you should wait a couple of months for a warmer weather ;)

::p........... to the place where you originated................

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That's really nicely written, but I think it really helps to get away from everything for a while. When we are in unfammiliar surrondings we discover other parts of ourselves that we didn't know before. We can look at our everyday life from a distance and from a different perspective... Travelling opens your mind and changes who you are as a person.

And you can both take photos and contemplate life at the same time. Actually, if you are truly engaged in some kind of activity, then you don't think about anything else and you can take a break from all the problems that are bothering you. When you think about them again, maybe you will look at them in a different light and find another solution.

x

Agree with this too :thumbsup:

Heard some people contemplate their daily life every night just before sleeping. I can't do that yet, most of the time I lay down it is too tiring to think about anything :sweat:
I don't agree :)
Travelling changes the way you see reality. You never come back the same person from your travels. You can actually see your current circumstances in a different light after you come back.
It usually helps people, not the other way round. Maybe there is something you need to change in your life, but when you stay at the same place all the time, you are not able to see it.

But we are talking about real travelling here - getting to know the place and the people, learning about their culture etc. If you go for a 2 week holiday to a nice resort, well... that's a different story ;) I don't think it will teach you anything.

I don't agree :)
Travelling changes the way you see reality. You never come back the same person from your travels. You can actually see your current circumstances in a different light after you come back.
It usually helps people, not the other way round. Maybe there is something you need to change in your life, but when you stay at the same place all the time, you are not able to see it.

But we are talking about real travelling here - getting to know the place and the people, learning about their culture etc. If you go for a 2 week holiday to a nice resort, well... that's a different story ;) I don't think it will teach you anything.

Agreed... going overseas and living there for a while, absorbing the culture and the way people live there, observing everything around you.... it changes your mindset. Especially if you're alone, you'll reflect in a different way from how you do it (if u do it at all) back at home.

If you're going back to Nepal, I highly recommend a visit to Manang (it's along the Eastern half of the ABC circuit). It certainly helped me to contemplate the meaning of my life as I sat drinking apple tea while enjoying the vast view of the mighty Annapurnas :)

I'd love to go back someday. But of course, if I had more money, Iceland or South America would be other good candidates.

I would still go to Ladakh and not Tibet. The original Buddhist culture is better preserved in Ladakh than in Tibet, and there's no politics like the rubbish that the Chinese are doing in Tibet. There are 3 Han Chinese to each Tibetan. Most of the monks are now refugees in Ladakh or Dharamsala. As much as I'd love to recommend Tibet , I don't think it's the best place to contemplate life. The PRC is notorious for torturing Tibetans since 1950. The number of original monasteries built before 1950 has fallen from around 6,000 to something like 13 or 14.

Hello, krishna91. I see where you come from, and I agree with you on the political situation in Tibet. As much as I feel injustice for the native Tibetans, I would perhaps like to express that if anyone were to go to Tibet for so-called contemplation, or to see the real Tibet, don't stay too long in the big cities like Lhasa or Shigatse. These are too politically moulded.
There are so many other small towns that are still very much un-touched.
And for the TS, I am referring to these.

Hello, krishna91. I see where you come from, and I agree with you on the political situation in Tibet. As much as I feel injustice for the native Tibetans, I would perhaps like to express that if anyone were to go to Tibet for so-called contemplation, or to see the real Tibet, don't stay too long in the big cities like Lhasa or Shigatse. These are too politically moulded.
There are so many other small towns that are still very much un-touched.
And for the TS, I am referring to these.

Ah, of course, it's a huge place, almost the size of India i think. But maybe a 'lower' place would be more relaxing :bsmilie: .. For example Himachal Pradesh or as a matter of fact anywhere in the Himalayas.. But I have to agree that no other place in the world has such a mystical charm as Tibet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.