Where to go to contemplate life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the comments. A lot of useful advice here.
ed9119 said:
perhaps TS wants to share with us nature of his crisis first?

Not sure if this is the appropriate avenue to share this, but to answer ed9119 on the nature of my crisis, Well actually the past 2 mths have been quite a low point in my life - relationship issues, not being happy in my job etc. I actually took quite a bold step in leaving my current job. I just thought I needed some time off to reflect on what is really important to me as well as to find out what I really want/need to do with life (ie my life purpose).
forward said:
Another perspective to look into is to forget yourself
unto greatness. Man must lose himself to find himself.
I understand that different people have different ways of finding meaning in what they do and I wholly agree that we need to lose ourselves in order to find ourselves. I need to go away for a while to get away from people who say "this is what you should/shouldn't do". It's my life and I need to get away from all this chatter and what better way than to lose myself in some foreign land.
Eva F said:
Travelling changes the way you see reality. You never come back the same person from your travels. You can actually see your current circumstances in a different light after you come back.
It usually helps people, not the other way round. Maybe there is something you need to change in your life, but when you stay at the same place all the time, you are not able to see it.
Exactly like what Eva F said, I want to travel to change my perspective on things. To live amongst others who have a different (maybe more simple and happy) outlook on life, makes you reconsider why we do the things we do. More money, more material things, being more popular ≠ happiness.

I am considering Tibet/Nepal/India/Morocco for this journey of self-discovery. Whether I am able to take nice photos or not, that is not the primary purpose of the trip. But for all I know, travelling the world capturing people/cultures through photographs may turn out to be my calling.

=)

Thought I should post this question here to see if I could get some ideas from everyone...

I'm thinking of doing a 2-mth trip so that I could get away from Singapore and spend some time thinking about the future and about life in general. Anyone has any ideas or previous experiences about places where one can contemplate and reflect?

Somewhere with beautiful scenery/people/culture would definitely help much since I'll be bringing my Canon along...

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!
No need to travel so far to contemplate life. You can meditate like this fella under the Esplanade Bridge. :cool:

4181312245_8d69a7b624_b.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. A lot of useful advice here.

Not sure if this is the appropriate avenue to share this, but to answer ed9119 on the nature of my crisis, Well actually the past 2 mths have been quite a low point in my life - relationship issues, not being happy in my job etc. I actually took quite a bold step in leaving my current job. I just thought I needed some time off to reflect on what is really important to me as well as to find out what I really want/need to do with life (ie my life purpose).

I understand that different people have different ways of finding meaning in what they do and I wholly agree that we need to lose ourselves in order to find ourselves. I need to go away for a while to get away from people who say "this is what you should/shouldn't do". It's my life and I need to get away from all this chatter and what better way than to lose myself in some foreign land.

Exactly like what Eva F said, I want to travel to change my perspective on things. To live amongst others who have a different (maybe more simple and happy) outlook on life, makes you reconsider why we do the things we do. More money, more material things, being more popular ≠ happiness.

I am considering Tibet/Nepal/India/Morocco for this journey of self-discovery. Whether I am able to take nice photos or not, that is not the primary purpose of the trip. But for all I know, travelling the world capturing people/cultures through photographs may turn out to be my calling.

=)

Nepal and India are beautiful countries. I have been to Nepal, but yet to discover her finer points. India is a dream that I quietly made a vow to live out in the next 2-3 years.
Should you go to Tibet to contemplate life, don't join the Ah Mm Ah Soh Ah Pek Ah Chek tour group of 20 tourists being rushed from one destination to other destination.

You need to be registered with a authorised tour agency in Tibet who will designate you a tour guide. He has to be with you all the time, in theory, as certain monasteries and certain parts of Tibet, entry by foreigners require permit from the Authorities. He will handle all that for you. In between you are free to walk around without him, but with his contact with you at all times.
I know of a very very good Tibetan guide who would bring us to a small village near to Shigatse where he grew up. Life there is un-touched, simple, the gentle, generous, kind folks that we expect of rural Tibetans... stay there for two weeks (or more), every day look out to the snow capped mountains, the plains with grazing yaks and sheeps.... be at peace...

i agree with a few suggestors. try russia or the chinese-russian border area. quiet, cold, and dark most of the day.

If you got the money and dare to take the chance of not returning from the trip - try Antartica.

Hi,
Ask yourself can u satify luxury. To me is NO. Can u. Look into yr heart , u may find the answer or answers.

I would still go to Ladakh and not Tibet. The original Buddhist culture is better preserved in Ladakh than in Tibet, and there's no politics like the rubbish that the Chinese are doing in Tibet. There are 3 Han Chinese to each Tibetan. Most of the monks are now refugees in Ladakh or Dharamsala. As much as I'd love to recommend Tibet , I don't think it's the best place to contemplate life. The PRC is notorious for torturing Tibetans since 1950. The number of original monasteries built before 1950 has fallen from around 6,000 to something like 13 or 14.

Not to mention that ladakhis are very friendly, and the trip isn't costly. I spent only 1k altogether for 10 days in ladakh. If you don't spend a lot on jeep hires, then you can prob live there for months with 2-3k.

Not to mention that ladakhis are very friendly, and the trip isn't costly. I spent only 1k altogether for 10 days in ladakh. If you don't spend a lot on jeep hires, then you can prob live there for months with 2-3k.

And its winter there now. Weather is harsh, but scenery is amazing. You can probably stay until spring to experience how life survives the bitter cold and flourish once again in the warmth of spring.

once you are able to leave ALL worldly belongings behind............ you can go ANYWHERE and you WILL contemplate life

short of that.......... all you are doing is either looking at new things and/or getting away from stress

go paris disneyland in winter in a singlet

and then ride the carousel nonstop

very good for contemplating life

changi prison condemned cell - you will gain more than contemplation.

go visit old folks home
go visit orphanage
go visit 1 roof flats, no need to enter just sit down in nearby kopihouse and observe
go visit and observe people who go to a mosque, spend whole day, seriously
go visit and observe people who go to a temple, spend whole day, seriously
go visit and observe people who go to a church, spend whole day, seriously
go visit a mortuary
go visit a hawker center in industrial area and have lunch there see what factory workers are like
go visit a hawker center near PSA and have lunch/dinner there see what factory workers are like
I think that is a lot already

what better place to contemplate life than the one you live in ??

In my view, the best places to contemplate life is somewhere free from distractions yet safe. Somewhere you can spend hours reading, thinking, and living a simple life. You'll need to bring along some self-help books to guide you and to help in identifying your life goals and priorities.

A trip to many of the locations mentioned above is fine, but sounds more like a photography trip to me.

Choice some 3rd World countries and lives like the local for a few months..... then you could contemplate how good/bad/wasteful/meaningful your life have been.

Btw.... agreed with other ClubSNAP-er.... you could/can contemplate life ANYWHERE... :thumbsup:

Sometimes one needs to be ready to contemplate life.

Status
Not open for further replies.