What to Clean Lens With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaix

Jan 15, 2005
West of Singapore
abahden.smugmug.com
Hi.. Need some advice from you guys...

I accidentally brought the blower to close to the lens of my FZ20 when blowing and the blower left a something that looks like a smudge on the lens...

Wondering what should I use to clean it or should I bring it somewhere else for cleaning (to prevent damage)?

Thanks!

Get those cloth for glasses and clean it in a circular motion. BTW, how come there is thing in your blower?

Cheers
John

John Teoh said:
Get those cloth for glasses and clean it in a circular motion. BTW, how come there is thing in your blower?

Cheers
John

Thanks for the quick response!

I brought the blower too close to my lens... and when I was pumping away, the long beak part of the blower swayed here and there and touched the lens, leaving a semi circle mark.

jaix said:

I accidentally brought the blower to close to the lens of my FZ20 when blowing and the blower left a something that looks like a smudge on the lens...

Wondering what should I use to clean it or should I bring it somewhere else for cleaning (to prevent damage)?

Thanks!

Harlo.. there are 2 schools, some say using lens pen will over time remove the coating on the lens etc. There are those that swear by lens pen.

Can also use the soft cloth for cleaning specs, or as intro by pros, is to use chamois made of goat skin. good for removing oily smudges etc.

Anyways, from day 1 of getting the camera, put on a filter so that you won't accidentally touch, smudge the lens. If you dun intend to get Phayee adapters
then you should get a 72mm uv filter to mount on the original tube adapter, and try to leave it there like forever.. hahaha

rhair78 said:
Harlo.. there are 2 schools, some say using lens pen will over time remove the coating on the lens etc. There are those that swear by lens pen.

Can also use the soft cloth for cleaning specs, or as intro by pros, is to use chamois made of goat skin. good for removing oily smudges etc.

Anyways, from day 1 of getting the camera, put on a filter so that you won't accidentally touch, smudge the lens. If you dun intend to get Phayee adapters
then you should get a 72mm uv filter to mount on the original tube adapter, and try to leave it there like forever.. hahaha

Thanks! Think will use the cloth method....

Actually.. I've already bought the phayee adapter, 62mm lens cap and 62mm uv filter... but... haven't collect the adapter from JimDavis yet... wanted to wait till I get the adapter before starting to use the camera... but cannot tahan.... who knows... a few shots became more than 80 shots... then got small specks of dust on the lens. So thought... never mind... can get blower to get rid of the dust... who knows? The blower left a smudge on the lens... :(

Sigh... it's like a vicious chain reaction... :bheart:

jaix said:
Thanks! Think will use the cloth method....

Actually.. I've already bought the phayee adapter, 62mm lens cap and 62mm uv filter... but... haven't collect the adapter from JimDavis yet... wanted to wait till I get the adapter before starting to use the camera... but cannot tahan.... who knows... a few shots became more than 80 shots... then got small specks of dust on the lens. So thought... never mind... can get blower to get rid of the dust... who knows? The blower left a smudge on the lens... :(

Sigh... it's like a vicious chain reaction... :bheart:

While waiting, I can loan you the 72mm UV filter and lens cap to use. Just let me know ok?;)

LifeWorld said:
While waiting, I can loan you the 72mm UV filter and lens cap to use. Just let me know ok?;)

Thanks!

Will check with JimDavis to see when the shipment is coming in... will let you know again...

Really appreciate it. ;)

jaix said:

Thanks!

Yo Jaime,

What I did when I got into your situation is to use the liquid that comes with the small blower I got, together with a micro-fiber cloth, and clean the lens.

The liquid have some alcoholic contents, so the lens gets dry pretty quickly.

jaix said:
Thanks!

Will check with JimDavis to see when the shipment is coming in... will let you know again...

Really appreciate it. ;)

agree with Ricky... i left my 72mm UV until the second i got the adapter and switch over... its still now on the cam...

if i din remember wrongly, the stuff will arrive this friday and he will pass them to whoever order on sat which is PLUG...

once again, thanks JD ( MOD ) :sticktong

;)

k3nn3th03 said:
agree with Ricky... i left my 72mm UV until the second i got the adapter and switch over... its still now on the cam...

if i din remember wrongly, the stuff will arrive this friday and he will pass them to whoever order on sat which is PLUG...

once again, thanks JD ( MOD ) :sticktong

;)

Eeerrrr....you are wrong!

The items have arrived at SingPost liao...but I can only go and collect tomorrow....errrr....this morning....(Friday)...and distribute during the PLUG outing. ;p

JimDavis said:
Eeerrrr....you are wrong!

The items have arrived at SingPost liao...but I can only go and collect tomorrow....errrr....this morning....(Friday)...and distribute during the PLUG outing. ;p

ok ok... my mistake...

sorry for the OTs....

k3nn3th03 said:
ok ok... my mistake...

sorry for the OTs....

hahahaha...no problem...trying hard to post so as to get closer to 1,000 posts har? ;p

JimDavis said:
hahahaha...no problem...trying hard to post so as to get closer to 1,000 posts har? ;p

no. but anyway, its still a very very long way to go..

Me encounter the same problem too that day. I was holding the lens barrel and trying to take a shot and accidentally one of my finger landed on the lens and leave finger print. Try to use my spectacles cloth to clean but the more I clean the more the oily patch spread. So in the end I used a piece of lens cleaning paper to clean it. Manage to let the paper absorb all the oil. But don't know did I damage the lens coating or not. Anyone, know how to tell if a lens coating had been damaged ?

Anyway, I had managed to get the Phayee adapter from Kenneth. I also have bought a UV filter to protect my lens from finger print. Now is waiting to get the lens cap and hood from George to protect my UV filter. :bsmilie:

JimDavis said:
Yo Jaime,

What I did when I got into your situation is to use the liquid that comes with the small blower I got, together with a micro-fiber cloth, and clean the lens.

The liquid have some alcoholic contents, so the lens gets dry pretty quickly.

Hey george!

I only bought the big lone blower, guess I should go pick up something with the cleaning fluid and get a piece of micro-fiber cloth.

Sms-ed my boss (who belongs to the dark side) yesterday, so he will be bringing his cleaning kit to office today. :D

just rem not to press on the cloth too hard against the len because you might accidentally cost the scratch. :)

I use blower and lens pen and cloth most of time. Hehe Having more equipment to clean will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.