Watermark action for copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
As requested in another thread, I have created a simple action to allow copyright watermarking of images. You may download it here.

It's written for Photoshop version 4.0, but should be backward compatible with any later version of Photoshop. If not, let me know.

To use it, simply download and load the action into your actions palette. Then, create a text layer with your desired text in your desired font, and move it where you want it.

Then just run the action. You may choose to assign the action to a function key to make things even easier.

After the action, you will have a separate layer containing the embossed text. You may want to adjust the opacity to your liking before flattening the layer, and saving. Enjoy!

Credit must go to the tutorial found here which this action is adapted from. The major change was the use of the offset filter.

Here are two examples of watermarked images:

watermarked.jpg

watermarked2.jpg

There has been a request to explain how the action works, so that those without Photoshop can do it using their own software. It's easier to do than to explain, but here goes....

You really need to be able to understand masks and layers in order to appreciate this...

Basically the idea is to create dark shadows in the upper left corner of the words, and light areas in the lower right corner, to fool the eye into thinking that the words are embossed on the background graphic.

First you create a selection from the text layer and save it.

wm01.jpg

Then you use the selection to create a new layer as a "cutout" with a white background. This layer is then moved up and left, which means the white background partially obscures the lower right corner of the text selection.

wm03.jpg

A "cutout" of this new layer is created using the saved selection, containing the white shadow in the lower right corner. This is superimposed on top of the original background.

wm04.jpg

The same method is used to create a "cutout" with a dark shadow in the upper left corner.

wm06.jpg

These two cutouts are merged, and superimposed onto the background image, to give you the final product.

wm07.jpg

Once again, please check out the original link where I found the tutorial: http://www.sketchpad.net/cleartext1.htm

PS I just realised that my action only works in RGB mode and not grayscale. Will be re-posting a modified action which will take care of this.

The new action for creating a watermark is now ready, and can be downloaded from here.

Please delete the earlier one.

As a bonus, here is a simple action to create B&W picture using the Luminance channel of Lab mode, with autolevels.

For those using PS 5.5 LE, who thus does not have the actions palette, you can still achieve similar effects. I shall list the steps here, for those who are interested.

1. Use the "Type Mask Tool" to creat your copyright message. The message will appear as a selection on the background layer.

2. Use the "Marquee" tool to fine tune the location of the selection if necessary.

3. Use "Layer>New>Layer Via Copy" or simply type CTRL-C followed by CTRL-V to create a new layer (Layer1) that contains only the selected text.

4. Use "Layer>Duplicate" to create 2 duplicate layers of "Layer 1", naming them "Layer 2" and "Layer 3" respectively, such that "Layer 3" is the top most layer, followed by "Layer 2" and "Layer 1" then finally "Background".

5. On "Layer 2", apply "Filter>Others>Offset" with 1 pixel right and 1 pixel down, then apply "Image>Adjust>Levels" and adjust the output to all "0" (text becomes black), and finaly apply "Filter>Blurr>Gaussian Blur" of 1.5 pixel.

6. On "Layer 1" apply "Filter>Others>Offset" with -1 pixel right and -1 pixel down, then apply "Image>Adjust>Levels" and adjust the output to all "255" (text becomes white), and finaly apply "Filter>Blurr>Gaussian Blur" of 1.5 pixel.

7. The resultant layers are:

- "Layer 3": original selected text
- "Layer 2": dark shadow of text, offset towards south east
- "Layer 1": bright halo of text, offset towards north west
- "Background": Original picture

8. Merge down all the layers and save.

Note: The amount of offset and Gaussian blurring listed here works well for a 720X540 picture. If you are working on a higher resolution pixture then you have to scale the amount of offset and blurring accordingly.

Here's an example that I have done using the above steps on PS 5.5 LE.

abp.jpg

This is inspired by Streetshooter's post. I did not read the tutorial he has reference to in his post.

Here's another method for PS 5.5 LE users that is simpler than my previous method, but still schieves quite a pleasant effect:

1. Use the "Type Mask Tool" to creat your copyright message. The message will appear as a selection on the background layer.

2. Use the "Marquee" tool to fine tune the location of the selection if necessary.

3. Use "Layer>New>Layer Via Copy" or simply type CTRL-C followed by CTRL-V to create a new layer (Layer1) that contains only the selected text.

4. Use "Layer>Duplicate" to create a duplicate layer of "Layer 1", naming it "Layer 2", such that "Layer 2" is the top most layer, followed by "Layer 1" and then finally "Background".

5. On "Layer 1", apply "Image>Adjust>Levels" and adjust the output to all "0" (text becomes black), and then apply "Filter>Blurr>Gaussian Blur" of 1.5 pixel.

6. The resultant layers are:

- "Layer 2": Original selected text
- "Layer 1": soft, all round shadow of the selected text
- "Background": Original picture

7. Merge down all the layers and save.

Note: The amount of Gaussian blurring listed here works well for a 720X540 picture. If you are working on a higher resolution pixture then you have to scale the amount of blurring accordingly.

Here's an example that I have done using the above steps on PS 5.5 LE.

abq.jpg

This is inspired by Streetshooter's post. I did not read the tutorial he has reference to in his post.

there's an invisible water mark for photoshop right? but needs a subcription.. for pros

Originally posted by denizenx
there's an invisible water mark for photoshop right? but needs a subcription.. for pros

The version I had come with a "Digimarc" filter for reading the embedded watermarks, but not filter for applying it.

All the above so complicated :what:

All you need to do is:-
1. Create a new type layer in Photoshop with the text tool and type in the required text (select the tool, click somewhere on the image, type in the text and the new layer will be created)
2. Use the opacity control to blend the text with the background (normally 20-30% opacity is enough)
3. Use the layer effects to add in a drop shadow or other effects.

For the opacity, you can adjust based on how intrusive you want the text to be - 100% opacity = very intrusive; 10% opacity = almost invisible.

Thanks to all who have contributed details on the work flow to this thread.

The problem with image piracy is that any addition of watermark or other simple insertion of copyright notice would deter normal people but not those who are determined to hijack the image.

Another more complicated means from hearsay is embbed reduced size text inserted inconspiciously into the image itself. The idea is this is liken to the watermark feature of the dollar note - under normal situtation it is not seen - hold against light and it becomes clear. Normally the insert copy right notice is colored or tone selected to just bearly differentiate it from the background colour /tone.

what is more pressing is for our local copy right law to arrive at the 90's. Why ? If you have call the copyrght department (not the exact tittle of the department) and ask about how to enforce copyrights for photo. software ect they tell you to go thru private claims which translate to "eat shit and die if you are not sufficient flushed with enough cash to get a lawyer who even if he/she/it wins the case can only get compensation of questionable amounts which may not be sufficient to pay for legal fees". At this point some one will remember makan sutra Seetoh who sue and won against M1 for unauthorised use of his images. Just remember that his bill would have a reflection to the amount awarded some tens of thousands. Another fact is that there was a contract in palce and this was use outside the scope of the contract. The problem is in determining what is the amount of compensation and in your proving that you have a copyrght.

A good digital watermark is invisible to the human eye and is hard to remove even through cropping and resizing.

All/most of the present solutions seem to require a subscription, to register your works to a reputable company (e.g. digimarc). Otherwise, publish your work in an open exhibition, conference or a publicly recognized venue/event and it should more or less guarantee your rights. Just placing a (c) message wouldn't really help much.

Also applies to other forms of IP or artworks, e.g. music, technical papers.

I hate watermarks.

All these leechers should be shot. :angry: Same goes for all these spammers and the like out there.

In Adobe PhotoShop 7 there is a preset to make water mark copyright. Under Window drop down/ Styles/ right arrow drop down/ text effects/ Clear Emboss - Outer Bevel button. 1 click your photo mark will be done.:light: Try it...:thumbsup:

Originally posted by KCBox
In Adobe PhotoShop 7 there is a preset to make water mark copyright. Under Window drop down/ Styles/ right arrow drop down/ text effects/ Clear Emboss - Outer Bevel button. 1 click your photo mark will be done.:light: Try it...:thumbsup:

goodness gracious! that was fantastic a tip! :D

Try Photo-Brush, http://www.mediachance.com/, with the date stamp u can easily create the watermark same as BreezBrowser + the date&time(auto copy from EXIF) of ur photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.