Viewpoint appreciated

whitekop

Oct 3, 2010
Hi fellow CSer,

I have just gotten the 17-55 f2.8 for general purpose use. Just want to check with you guys, whether adding a prime e.g, 85 f1.8 or 50 f1.8 is redundant. I love taking portraits and find that this lens that I got can do the task quite well. However I was thinking if the latter mentioned lenses will give an even more impressive result. The 17-55 f2.8 have burnt quite a hole in my pocket by the way.....

Another question, I also got a 270ex flash together with the lens. I know that the flash can only work from 18mm onwards, at 17 there will be some dark shadow. Will a diffuser be able to help solve the issue? Regardless, is getting a diffuser advisable for this flash? I am using a 60D. Didn't get the better flashes because of the size.

Your viewpoint is greatly appreciated.

Hi fellow CSer,

I have just gotten the 17-55 f2.8 for general purpose use. Just want to check with you guys, whether adding a prime e.g, 85 f1.8 or 50 f1.8 is redundant. I love taking portraits and find that this lens that I got can do the task quite well. However I was thinking if the latter mentioned lenses will give an even more impressive result. The 17-55 f2.8 have burnt quite a hole in my pocket by the way.....

Another question, I also got a 270ex flash together with the lens. I know that the flash can only work from 18mm onwards, at 17 there will be some dark shadow. Will a diffuser be able to help solve the issue? Regardless, is getting a diffuser advisable for this flash? I am using a 60D. Didn't get the better flashes because of the size.

Maybe you should rent a 85 and a 50mm to test and see if you like the result alot or not. If you find that the result is almost the same as what you get for the 17-55, then you know the answer.

As for your flash... I also have a 270ex flash... but got myself a 430ex II and found that the 430ex is a much better flash (although bigger) but sometime it would serve you well to have a head that can swivel.

work up your skills will give u more impressive results over getting any of those primes.
though the extra dof from the 85 1.8 would give you better subject isolation if you are into that genre of portraiture.

get a better flash / reflector might be a better choice.

Hi fellow CSer,

I think 50mm F1.8 can be safely ruled out. Sharpness at 50mm on the 17-55mm vs the prime is probably very marginal. If you are shooting still objects, the IS on the 17-55mm can compensate for the approx 1-stop advantage of the 50mm. And if you use flash, that advantage is neutralized. IQ of 50mm F1.8 not in the same league as the 17-55mm. The only clear advantage I can think of for the 50mm (besides the price) is the weight...130g vs 650g.

As for the 85mm F1.8, it is good value. Do you need the extra reach? Will you be shooting in low-light conditions without flash? If yes, then maybe can consider.

shooting with primes is really different from using a zoom..

and if you're used to using a 17-55 zoom lens or even before this maybe the 18-55 kit lens.. then you really need to try using prime lens.. not everyone can survive with prime lens.. cos they struggle with the fixed focal length...

in my opinion the 17-55 is more than good enough for what you are doing... don't waste the extra (although not much $) but rather spend the dollars on maybe a flash with a swivel head.. and go out and shoot more, practice more..

practice will improve your shots faster than buying more lens... ;)