UWA for A7(R) ?

10-20 is actually design for crop sensor so you will have strong distortion at the edges sides specially if you shooting at 10mm. You using A7/r?

I'm not familiar with 10-20 but if you shoot straight dead horizon you should be able to have a straight horizon that will help when stitching at least you have something easy to align when stitching but if you shooting slightly tilted up or down you may be able to stitch but don't expect tall pano you may ended up narrow pano and you may need more shots to stitch and the overlap needs to be big.

I'm using the sel1018 with a7 I'm FF mode. Never used the 10-20 before. Hmm. I use the panorama function and hugin to stitch my panos. I suppose you are doing manual stitching?

I'm using the sel1018 with a7 I'm FF mode. Never used the 10-20 before. Hmm. I use the panorama function and hugin to stitch my panos. I suppose you are doing manual stitching?

maybe you can try shoooting pano with A7 in crop mode, distortion shld be much better controlled and you still get 15/16mm equivalent UWA perspective. I doubt the auto pano function saves in full resolution right

maybe you can try shoooting pano with A7 in crop mode, distortion shld be much better controlled and you still get 15/16mm equivalent UWA perspective. I doubt the auto pano function saves in full resolution right

This is also another possible solution, though I would lose alot of megapixels (24->9) if I shoot in crop mode. The auto pano would retains the pixel information even after stitching the images to create an ultra mega pixel image. :embrass:

I'll probably need to do my own custom lens profile calibration and see if it helps, else it's back to the shopping cart to hunt for another UWA lens. :(

This is also another possible solution, though I would lose alot of megapixels (24->9) if I shoot in crop mode. The auto pano would retains the pixel information even after stitching the images to create an ultra mega pixel image. :embrass:

I'll probably need to do my own custom lens profile calibration and see if it helps, else it's back to the shopping cart to hunt for another UWA lens. :(

if you have the sony playmemories lens compensation app, the distortion can be corrected to a certain degree within camera.

Do you have a NEX?
Saves a lot of headache of using APS-C lens on full-frame, having to deal with distortion beyond what was originally designed.
SEL1018 produces great result on NEX for me, I doubt A7 can top that given that the lens was not designed for FF.

Do you have a NEX?
Saves a lot of headache of using APS-C lens on full-frame, having to deal with distortion beyond what was originally designed.
SEL1018 produces great result on NEX for me, I doubt A7 can top that given that the lens was not designed for FF.

yeap. pair the sel10-18 with the a6k or nex 7 and you have 24 megapixels with a UWA perspective.

i am still evaluating my sel 10-18 vs the samyang 14 2.8 i just got and my old timer canon 16-35 hehe

yeap. pair the sel10-18 with the a6k or nex 7 and you have 24 megapixels with a UWA perspective.

i am still evaluating my sel 10-18 vs the samyang 14 2.8 i just got and my old timer canon 16-35 hehe

if 16-35 do the job I think 10-18 and 14mm can side line :) I am thinking of getting the Tamron 17-35 seems bang for bucks...

if 16-35 do the job I think 10-18 and 14mm can side line :) I am thinking of getting the Tamron 17-35 seems bang for bucks...

16-35 does the job but if you are a pixel peeper, not good enough.

10-18 is a great travel uwa. small, with AF and can use filters easily. distortion a little harder to correct, still looking for the appropriate acr/lightroom profile.

14mm is sharp edge to edge, distortion correctable with acr/lightroom. just less flexible as it is a prime, and sometimes 14mm can be a little too wide.

currently i still like the 10-18 alot. 14mm will be brought out for dedicated landscape / fireworks type of shots. 16-35 will live on my 5D3 hehe when i need uwa for canon

16-35 does the job but if you are a pixel peeper, not good enough.

10-18 is a great travel uwa. small, with AF and can use filters easily. distortion a little harder to correct, still looking for the appropriate acr/lightroom profile.

14mm is sharp edge to edge, distortion correctable with acr/lightroom. just less flexible as it is a prime, and sometimes 14mm can be a little too wide.

currently i still like the 10-18 alot. 14mm will be brought out for dedicated landscape / fireworks type of shots. 16-35 will live on my 5D3 hehe when i need uwa for canon

ah no wonder you keeping your 16-35 :)

hmm 10-20 seems good travel UWA lens...

if you have the sony playmemories lens compensation app, the distortion can be corrected to a certain degree within camera.

Lightroom actually has a lens compensation profile for this lens, but its meant for crop sensors only.

Do you have a NEX?

Sadly I sold off my a77 for the a7. No nex cameras to utilise the 1018 on.

Lightroom actually has a lens compensation profile for this lens, but its meant for crop sensors only.

sony playmemories app can correct the distortion to a certain degree direct in camera, which makes it possible for you to use the panoramic stitching function in camera, which i understood was what you wanted to use right?

i managed to find some user uploaded SEL10-18 A7 full frame Light room profiles. tried on some shots and seems to work decently. will upload later.

links for download from 2nd last reply

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3579675?page=2

some before and after correction shots. my impression is that it works very well for 16-18mm corrections. decent for 12-13mm. need to try at more focal lenghts when free

before - 12mm

after - 12mm

before - 18mm

after - 18mmm

another few

18mmm before correction

18mmm after correction

random shot from today after correction 18mmm

The distortions are mostly ok in those photos (without correction), only the 3rd set need correction I think.
What I don't like is the light fall-off, makes the sky looks uneven.

sony playmemories app can correct the distortion to a certain degree direct in camera, which makes it possible for you to use the panoramic stitching function in camera, which i understood was what you wanted to use right?

i managed to find some user uploaded SEL10-18 A7 full frame Light room profiles. tried on some shots and seems to work decently. will upload later.

links for download from 2nd last reply

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3579675?page=2

Thanks for this lens profile recommendation. It's much better than the 1 I currently have. Now my panos have much lesser errors. :D

The distortions are mostly ok in those photos (without correction), only the 3rd set need correction I think.
What I don't like is the light fall-off, makes the sky looks uneven.

That's the issue with most UWA lenses even those SLR lenses I have suffers from it. I guess that the downside of using FF O.O

Clouded by Silvialite, on Flickr

4 image panorama at 14mm. Foreground was not stitched properly and is subsequently cropped off

Although there may not be too many fans of the CV15 uwa lens being used on the 7/7R, this link for a LR preset might be helpful to those who are using it.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52919116

A quick test shot from my flat's window earlier (except for a little perspective correction, the rest are unedited):
dsc00001_2-84132860.jpg

After applying the LR preset:
dsc00001-70653005.jpg

Though not perfect, the preset as is works well enough for a simple hobbyist like me. A few more adjustments should make it even better. Looking forward to the author's next improved version, if any.

Last edited: