UWA for A7(R) ?

I know it feels like defeating the purpose of having a compact FF using the metabones adapter with the 16-35L, but I thought it's definitely easier to store the camera in my bag, and feels much lighter carrying it. I shared this on the image sharing thread, but thought better to discuss it here.

Image quality is acceptable I think. My expectations are pretty low. ;-)

And I'll do a 2 image blend next time round to prevent the over-exposed flood lights of the basket ball court!!

Last edited:
i have similar thoughts as yours.... also kept my 16-35L. yours mark 1 or 2?

anyway this thurs see if free after work to shoot ard mbs/gardens by the bay. will be bringing my tripod n uwa lenses

I know it feels like defeating the purpose of having a compact FF using the metabones adapter with the 16-35L, but I thought it's definitely easier to store the camera in my bag, and feels much lighter carrying it. I shared this on the image sharing thread, but thought better to discuss it here.

Image quality is acceptable I think. My expectations are pretty low. ;-)

And I'll do a 2 image blend next time round to prevent the over-exposed flood lights of the basket ball court!!

i have similar thoughts as yours.... also kept my 16-35L. yours mark 1 or 2?

anyway this thurs see if free after work to shoot ard mbs/gardens by the bay. will be bringing my tripod n uwa lenses

Mine's a V1. I don't see a need for V2 despite obvious improvements. Maybe possible to go on Thurs. ;-)

Anyone here using Sigma 12-24 both recent and late version?

Bro Ricleo

May I know are you using default lens profile in LR? I have noticed that when using SEL1018 at 13mm the distortion if very bad..

just took 2 shots today, SEL 10-18 at 14mm after lens profile correction vs samyang 14mm after lens profile correction. both at F8.

both shots taken within minutes of each other. Samyang renders the scene more warmly while the sony lens is more blue. not that the sony produces a little magenta corners as well which i didnt attempt to correct at F8. only vignetting corrected.

Samyang is wider at 14mm after correction and sharp edge to edge at F8. Sony is sharp abt 2/3 of the frame.

to me both are decent enough for me as UWA options on the A7r after the ACR distortion corrections. sony wins in terms of size and AF while Samyang on overall IQ.

SEL10-18

Samyang 14mm

nope mine is not a default lens profile. that one only covers aps-c.

the profile i used was user created by someone on DPreview for the A7/R.

Bro Ricleo

May I know are you using default lens profile in LR? I have noticed that when using SEL1018 at 13mm the distortion if very bad..

Thanks for the info.. Got the profile now playing around with it :)
BTW, did you remove the lens baffle?

nope mine is not a default lens profile. that one only covers aps-c.

the profile i used was user created by someone on DPreview for the A7/R.

Thanks for the info.. Got the profile now playing around with it :)
BTW, did you remove the lens baffle?

Yup removed. The lens is actually v good between 16-18mm with distortion corrected.

just took 2 shots today, SEL 10-18 at 14mm after lens profile correction vs samyang 14mm after lens profile correction. both at F8.

both shots taken within minutes of each other. Samyang renders the scene more warmly while the sony lens is more blue. not that the sony produces a little magenta corners as well which i didnt attempt to correct at F8. only vignetting corrected.

Samyang is wider at 14mm after correction and sharp edge to edge at F8. Sony is sharp abt 2/3 of the frame.

to me both are decent enough for me as UWA options on the A7r after the ACR distortion corrections. sony wins in terms of size and AF while Samyang on overall IQ.

the shot from your Samyang looks really good.

is it possible, if you have the time, to post a photo of your A7 with the Samyang 14mm mounted with adapter? am unable to find any such photos online so far.

am considering this setup if the overall bulk is reasonable. am sure others would be interested to know as well.

thanks in advance, bro ricleo:)

I have it mounted on my Nex6. It is front heavy. Prob double the weight of the Nex body.

I have it mounted on my Nex6. It is front heavy. Prob double the weight of the Nex body.

I think on A7/r will not be as worst as NEX6 one.. also would help if the adaptor you using will have a tripod mount this will shift the balance slightly towards the front when mounting to a tripod.

sure i will post some pictures when i get back home.

I have a L plate fixed to my A7 so that balances the weight quite nicely. The Samyang is not that big in terms of length. Shorter than my 16-35 infact. however it is very wide in diameter. like 100mm vs the 77mm filter thread used by my 16-35L.

sure i will post some pictures when i get back home.

I have a L plate fixed to my A7 so that balances the weight quite nicely. The Samyang is not that big in terms of length. Shorter than my 16-35 infact. however it is very wide in diameter. like 100mm vs the 77mm filter thread used by my 16-35L.
thanks! looking forward to it.

here you go

mounted on the a7

size comparison to the other uwa. note that the 16-35L needs to add on the eos-nex adaptor to fit on the A7, which makes it even taller

here you go

mounted on the a7
http://flic.kr/p/kJf7Zz

size comparison to the other uwa. note that the 16-35L needs to add on the eos-nex adaptor to fit on the A7, which makes it even taller
http://flic.kr/p/kJhgxm
thanks a lot bro ricleo! this is certainly encouraging as i find the setup manageable in terms of bulk.

What you guys think of sigma 19mm vs sony 20mm. Though i know both r nt FE lens but it has AF, not sure which to get.

What you guys think of sigma 19mm vs sony 20mm. Though i know both r nt FE lens but it has AF, not sure which to get.

The Sigma 19mm will not be very usable when stopped down due to heavy vignetting

read somewhere that the sony 20mm is suitable, but will need the la-ea4 adapter. too bulky for me.

read somewhere that the sony 20mm is suitable, but will need the la-ea4 adapter. too bulky for me.

That's a full frame lens. So it's suitable. May not be wide enough for some though

SEL 10-18 in full frame mode, F22 13mm 2 seconds iso 100 with a tianya ND 8 filter