UWA for A7(R) ?

jennzhen

Jun 2, 2011
Singapore
www.facebook.com
How is Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical? The reviews for Nikon/Canon mount looks good.
Waiting for the e-mount version to be available in Singapore ...

How is Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical? The reviews for Nikon/Canon mount looks good.
Waiting for the e-mount version to be available in Singapore ...

if you realy want that lens, just get it in EF or Nikon mount and slap on an adaptor.

the E mount version is just the same lenses with adaptor permanently on. get the other mounts and you retain flexibliity for resale to other users of canon/nikon. plus 2nd hand the other mounts will be cheaper

almost gotten this but I think on Ebay you can get it much cheaper than in BnS :)

For now I am ok with 21mm and my 19mm lenses will wait for FE UWA and the 24-70/4

Haven't seen the e-mount version in eBay ... the canikon version in eBay is not that much cheaper than B&H (but they offer free shipping).
Yeah possible to buy the canikon version, I just want to see whether the e-mount version will be better/worse. Maybe Samyang will correct the distortion a little bit :D

Is there any better options for UWA? Say for prime lens around 10-18mm?
I know about Zeiss Distagons but they're mostly quite expensive :D

Haven't seen the e-mount version in eBay ... the canikon version in eBay is not that much cheaper than B&H (but they offer free shipping).
Yeah possible to buy the canikon version, I just want to see whether the e-mount version will be better/worse. Maybe Samyang will correct the distortion a little bit :D

Is there any better options for UWA? Say for prime lens around 10-18mm?
I know about Zeiss Distagons but they're mostly quite expensive :D

I just double check the promo has ended http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/331116659660?var=540332022664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 selling only 275USD or around 350SGD plus 25USD shipping or 32SGD so all in all around 382SGD still cheap

Yea waiting for the rumors of this FE UWA too ... but 2015? I only have SEL1018 for now :p

hehe for now I will have to do with my 21mm and 19mm and maybe the 24-70/4

I just double check the promo has ended http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/331116659660?var=540332022664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 selling only 275USD or around 350SGD plus 25USD shipping or 32SGD so all in all around 382SGD still cheap

Right I didn't check Rokinon, seems to be a bit cheaper in eBay than Samyang, but still US$350 + shipping + import charge.
The thing is, most Nikon to e-mount adaptor currently vignette on A7(R), must wait for the full frame version.
Even the Samyang e-mount at B&H is meant for APS-C, so maybe they haven't release the full frame one.

Right I didn't check Rokinon, seems to be a bit cheaper in eBay than Samyang, but still US$350 + shipping + import charge.
The thing is, most Nikon to e-mount adaptor currently vignette on A7(R), must wait for the full frame version.
Even the Samyang e-mount at B&H is meant for APS-C, so maybe they haven't release the full frame one.

Samyang 14mm is a FF lens.

This lens is in my shortlisted UWA for A7 since I got the A7 in January. But the lack of a filter adapter for this lens is holding my decision back. Samyang has launched an ultra-big filter adapter for this 14mm recently, but due to the sheer size, I am not moved by it.

The Samyang 14/2.8 for FE is just the same lens with built on adapter.
As others have said, probably better to just get a Nikon/Canon version.
I'd suggest the Canon version for slightly shorter adapter.

Mustache distortion supposedly can deal with well on PTLens (I've only read it, no 1st hand experience)
Maybe you can download Samyang 14mm picts and try out with the trial PTlens to confirm.

I am decently happy with my Soligor 17/4, still trying out the Canon FD20/2.8.
Happy with the Pentax K24/2.8

I've posted photos from these lenses on the image sharing thread.

I think I can live with the distortions, after looking at the pictures. Not really keen on doing corrections via software.
Zeiss Distagon is better at distortion but the price is US$1400/3000 for the 18mm/15mm.

I think I can live with the distortions, after looking at the pictures. Not really keen on doing corrections via software.
Zeiss Distagon is better at distortion but the price is US$1400/3000 for the 18mm/15mm.

anyway you have the SEL10-18, not happy with the full frame coverage between 12mm - 18mm?

I would recommend the Canon or Nikon version
Easy to find 2nd hand in BnS here in CS. Cheap also..
Slap on a filter for $50..you get an identical one to the FE mount to be launched soon..they didn't change anything..just a longer mount to make the adapter in built.
As others have mentioned, easier to resell next time also..

I bought a Canon mount...here's my first shoot with it on the a7r

https://www.facebook.com/spinworkxroy/media_set?set=a.10151936952307861.1073741845.532212860&type=3

anyway you have the SEL10-18, not happy with the full frame coverage between 12mm - 18mm?

Haven't try outside, only indoor. Also have to try with baffle removed, see if it helps to reduce vignetting in full frame mode.
Currently I can see vignetting even at 14mm, though no dark corners.

Sharp sharp ... this is what I like about this lens :)
Any gripes when using it with a7r?

not really..same with any UWA lens..just be mindful of the angle you are shooting from..distortion is VERY apparent if you shoot tilted. i actually tried using it as a walkabout lens yesterday...disaster haha..
But the only good thing...i could go so up close to things and shoot everything vs standing far back and getting people in the frame haha..

The distortion can be weird if you don't take care of it.
Take a seascape for example with the horizon being wavy because of the mustache distortion.
The good thing is that that can be corrected in LR or most good RAW processors to be decent enough not to be obvious.

Some stuff like vertical buildings may prove to be more difficult to correct.

Distagon 18/3.5 has a mustache distortion too. :)

Of course, correcting for distortion or not is up to the individual.