using slow sync flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
when i am taking photos indoor, i have problem capturing the background detail which often appear underexposed, the subject in foreground is bright.

if i use slow sync will it appear blurry for the foreground subject?

(using nikon SB800 flash.)

thanks in advanced

using slow sync involves a slow shutter speed... anything less than flash sync is considered slow when discussing flash... anything moving, be it he camera or the subject, will render images unsharp... this is all dependent on the amt of light availble..

oh i see, then i think better dun use slow sync in case all my images are garbbage

that is not the spirit dude... you can do it. its not so difficult... one suggestion for you. you seem as if you are using direct flash... if you want to brighten up more that just the foreground, then bounce the flash up on the ceiling and the large surface area will illuminate more of the scene...

Try using ISO400 + a slow sync (Aperture Priority mode with roughly F5.0 aperture). Flash power down a bit or bounce it. Should get a decent exposure.

iso400 will result in less blurry shot with slowsync?

yes, i am using direct flash, i am afraid that using bounce card, the foreground will be too dark.

hey you are using the Sb800, one of mikons most powerful flash guns... not worries that it will underexpose if bouncing... it wont...

You shouldn't need to do any exposure correction if you're shooting in TTL mode since the flash will auto compensate for the bounce.

Anyway, what i like to do to check exactly how much light my flash can deliver in a situation (especially when it's bounced) is to set it manual mode and put it to full power and do a shot. Gives you a good guage for adjustments to be made (especially ISO).

Hope this helps.

so, it means that if i tilt my flash unit, the flash will automatically compensate?

so, i can use fire the flash, since it will be automatically adjusted...even with distance/range? (eg if the subject is further, then more power?)

bcos i wonder if the subject is too near, will it turn out too washout (too bright bcos of the flash output)

yes, i am using TTL.

if you are using nikkor D or G lenses with 3D matrix metering, that should be taken care of...

just go out and try and you will be convinced... nothing is better than seeing for ourself... and also, EXPERIMENT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.