Traffice police letter to appear in court!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
keeping to the speed limit is the best.... the problem is the 50 km/h speed limit seems very low to a lot of people.... even the bikes go way above that... i guess we have to consciously suppress the urge to step on the accelerator... being much older now, i fully understand the reasoning for keeping a 50 km/h speed limit on most of our roads... you never know what might happen or who might dart out onto the road.... safe driving to all... :thumbsup:

Ris Goh said:
Just a little side track:

I was driving in Oz for a week during my honeymoon and I don't remember seeing any TP on the road.... but everyone was well within the speed limit! WHY??? interesting question....... speed limit signs are also well posted on every stretch of road (in Melbourne and whole of Victoria)!

<snipped>

The scene here in Australia varies from state to state, however most states now have a variety of nasty surprises for speeders such as X-K band radar guns, laser units, portable speed cameras and a new beast I've been seeing here in Perth for a few months, the hand held photographic speed camera. These are particularly favoured by motorcycle cops and they like to hide on the median strip in the middle of the road in the bushes and knock people off where the posted speed limit changes.

One of WA and from what I understand other states favourite revenue raisers is 'double demerit' weekends, which just happen to conincide with long weekends. There's even been some talk about doubling the cost of fines on such 'double demerit' weekends.

Yes, it's a great way to deal with a slow economy and unemployment. Hire more traffic cops, and they'll pay for themselves. The roads become safer, unemployment figures drop, and traffic congestion eases for those who stick to the speed limit (since the speeders will give up on driving). People carrying cameras will get greater respect (or be beaten up, depends).

Also send the speed drivers to jail, that will remove them from the roads, hence reduce traffic congestions.

fuzzy said:
I feel that is absolutely unfair to the treadstarter that he was issued such a letter without being told on which road, at what speed he was travelling and the speed limit of that road. In fact, I think it is only fair that he receives evidence of the offence he made. After all, its no light punishment. Anyway, i think he won't post such a thread here if a picture was issued together with the letter and he know his mistake.

er..maybe he sped off before they could tell him? :think:

Thnx for the insights on the Oz methods of speed "control"....

Personnally I believe hidden speed cameras are a better deterrent since "you" don't know where they are and you'll keep to the speed limit EVERYWHERE! compared to having TP standing by the road side with speed camera/radar gun! Actually the latter is a "health hazards" as I've seen drivers who slow down suddenly when they see a TP by the road side with radar gun.... luckily the driver behind was at a safe distance!

I'll be back to Victoria in march for a self-drive trip..... hope to enjoy the drive around Victoria again, as I did the last time ;)

Astin said:
Also send the speed drivers to jail, that will remove them from the roads, hence reduce traffic congestions.

Actually, more often than not, it's the road hoggers who are the root cause of the congestions.

"Actually, more often than not, it's the road hoggers who are the root cause of the congestions."

I strongly agree on this one! :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.