The Helix and The Marina Bay Sands

All your examples have clear line, but, IMO, the placement of the line is too centric.
and, except the dune trail, the line cuts against the horizon.
I feel quite awkward composition.

We call this leading lines. Not all of them need to be straight or centric.

http://www.photips.com/photography-tips/leading-lines.html

More examples:

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/959.aspx

Just search for "leading lines in photography" at Google, you will find a lot of examples.

Last edited:
Anyway, thanks very much for the feedback of my composition. I really appreciate a lot.
I have got your point.
IMO, the leading line does not necessary a line, but it can be a shape as well.
One of my composition above is using it.

Herewith, I wanna share my other image, that may suitable to your taste, if we talk about clear leading line.

5181878018_249628a451_z.jpg

Hi Blue Archer, your first photo shot looks fantastic to me. I like it. Congrats! Though the MBS at the back does make the photo somewhat 'busy' there, it does not distract the focus of the picture.

try to do cropping.

I wish the bridge light switched on, too bad I can't do it on photoshop. :-(

5178082017_ae484187c4_b.jpg

Still doesn't work.

1. too busy.
2. your bridge starts on the left, but you did not include the full entry way.
3. You bridge nows leads the viewer out the right side of the picture. So it doesn't lead in, but it leads out.

No cropping can save this pic. You need to get it from another angle.

Last edited:
Anyway, thanks very much for the feedback of my composition. I really appreciate a lot.
I have got your point.

Herewith, I wanna share my other image, that may suitable to your taste, if we talk about clear leading line.

Another example for you... A pic I shot in Bintan.

Can you spot the leading lines? (there are more than one actually)

4675294028_267fb50938.jpg

Another example for you... A pic I shot in Bintan.

Can you spot the leading lines? (there are more than one actually)

4675294028_267fb50938.jpg

I only saw that you try to lead the eyes using the cloud and the far horizon to the sun.
The land/sand and stones are making too much distraction of the view.

Hi Blue Archer, your first photo shot looks fantastic to me. I like it. Congrats! Though the MBS at the back does make the photo somewhat 'busy' there, it does not distract the focus of the picture.

Hi HgC33Snapper, thanks a lot.

I only saw that you try to lead the eyes using the cloud and the far horizon to the sun.
The land/sand and stones are making too much distraction of the view.

Leading lines means, "leading" to somewhere or something in the photo, that makes the picture more interesting, dramatic or "feel".

So look carefully.

Leading lines means, "leading" to somewhere or something in the photo, that makes the picture more interesting, dramatic or "feel".

So look carefully.

my eyes wanders here and there on the daredevil123's picture, always searching for what dramatic/feel the picture wants to show to the audience indeed.

my eyes wanders here and there on the daredevil123's picture, always searching for what dramatic/feel the picture wants to show to the audience indeed.

Haha... If I see correctly, the rock and cloud pattern give me the feel that both are leading me into the distant. Both leads to the sun. Very nice capture.

Haha... If I see correctly, the rock and cloud pattern give me the feel that both are leading me into the distant. Both leads to the sun. Very nice capture.

I believe that the photographer's intention is like that, but the stones are too dominant, so they seem to become another attraction itself, dragging back the attention from the sun.

I believe that the photographer's intention is like that, but the stones are too dominant, so they seem to become another attraction itself, dragging back the attention from the sun.

Is it? I thought is very nice, both the sky and ground form a pattern towards a same destination. Very interesting.

Anyway, we a bit off topic liao. We are suppose to commenting your picture. Haha... daredeveli123's photo is suppose to be a reference. So far, your 1st picture seems the best to me.

Last edited:

This only shows different people see things differently. Part of being human. ;)

And lenrek, thank you for your kind comments.

And btw, the rock formations is supposed to be what we call a 'foreground interest'. It is supposed to be dominant.

Last edited:
Hello fellow photographers,
This photo was taken to picturize the modern architecture of The Helix and The Marina Bay Sands.
Seeking the feedback on the composition and whether the modern mood is reflected on the picture.

5169286890_bcd72fa4bc_z.jpg

One of the most challenging things to do is to seek ways to simplify your compositions. Given that, MBS together with The Helix are always a nightmare to compose. In this instance, The Helix cris-crossed MBS. You've made a very busy looking scene even busier but not to the extent of appearing disconcerting.

However, if you were to avoid the cris-crossing altogether, you'll end up with a lop-sided composition with MBS on the extreme right. You've got to experiment with proportions then. Try positioning yourself to photograph The Helix as the foreground interest. I thought the cropped photo had some potential because the foreground interest was there and it might just juxtapose nicely with the repetitive design of the MBS if only the last tower wasn't cropped off abruptly but then the construction activities will interfere. Tough call. Keep trying.

not a fan of any composition for the MBS/helix here.

overlapping elements are definitely a no no for me.

using the holes in the bridge to frame the MBS? maybe that'd work, but i don't really think it's possible.

I have got your point.

5181878018_249628a451_z.jpg

a leading line that leads nowhere, and worse still, is surrounded by a mess of elements, is not an effective leading line.