The Helix and The Marina Bay Sands

blue archer

Nov 8, 2008
Hello fellow photographers,
This photo was taken to picturize the modern architecture of The Helix and The Marina Bay Sands.
Seeking the feedback on the composition and whether the modern mood is reflected on the picture.

5169286890_bcd72fa4bc_z.jpg

This photo was taken to picturize the modern architecture of The Helix and The Marina Bay Sands.
Seeking the feedback on the composition and whether the modern mood is reflected on the picture.

Exposure is good.

The choice of blue tint looks ok to me too.

The choice of composition is quite unique with the choice of composing the MBS towers behind the helix structure. Problem is I felt this made it really messy.

Exposure is good.

The choice of blue tint looks ok to me too.

The choice of composition is quite unique with the choice of composing the MBS towers behind the helix structure. Problem is I felt this made it really messy.

I second this. I don't think I have seen this composition, placing MBS behind the Helix Bridge so it's a new perspective for me. :) I also feel it looks quite messy. Just my personal opinion. :)

Looks Sharp, clean and has THE feel, keep up the awesome work. The MBS featuring in the BG creates a new perspective. You've dared to be different so Kudos to that :thumbsup:

Thanks all for your valuable inputs.
It's gaining my motivation to experiment with unusual perspective.

Here is my other shot. This is focus on the structure of The Helix.
Seeking the input more on the composition and the feel.

5170744824_7853fe147c_z.jpg

I think the color, mood and composition looks awsome to me!

still prefer your first photo.

the second one this type of angle i see until bored already.

This composition doesn't work at all..

cut of the left side of the helix... cut off most of the top of the towers... but still left a little behind in the corner...

neither here nor there. Very bad composition on this one.

You got the exposure spot on for this one. Interesting way of framing the bridge and MBS. Overall a very clean and pleasant image to look at. Good job!

This one does not work for me at all though, since I am not a huge fan of 'chopped' structures/buildings. If your intention was to bring viewer's attention to the Helix Bridge, why chop it into half in the first place?

May I ask what time it was shot? Coz almost everytime I went there, it's crowded :(

Hi All, thanks for your valuable feedback.

This one does not work for me at all though, since I am not a huge fan of 'chopped' structures/buildings. If your intention was to bring viewer's attention to the Helix Bridge, why chop it into half in the first place?

This is one of my experiments. I did intentionally on the chop. My aim is not the 'fence' of the bridge, but the tunnel(the walk path). I want the eyes to enter the bridge(on the left side) than walk through the curve of the bridge toward the end, following below the helix structure. The hand holder will be the leading line.

perhaps, this picture will explain more of what I mean.
5178363250_c96b281f73_z.jpg

@larlarloo: I went there on the weekdays, at around 11.30 pm till 00.00 am. There were only one or two pedestrians passing by.

May I ask what time it was shot? Coz almost everytime I went there, it's crowded :(

The funny thing is, everytime I went there it was quiet and deserted. ;)

Try early morning right before sunrise.

This is one of my experiments. I did intentionally on the chop. My aim is not the 'fence' of the bridge, but the tunnel(the walk path). I want the eyes to enter the bridge(on the left side) than walk through the curve of the bridge toward the end, following below the helix structure. The hand holder will be the leading line.

perhaps, this picture will explain more of what I mean.
5178363250_c96b281f73_z.jpg

@larlarloo: I went there on the weekdays, at around 11.30 pm till 00.00 am. There were only one or two pedestrians passing by.

IMHO, if you want eyes to enter the tunnel... at least have the entire mouth of the tunnel in view...

IMHO, if you want eyes to enter the tunnel... at least have the entire mouth of the tunnel in view...

I was stepping back, and took another picture.
perhaps, this is what you mean.

5178426696_e74f1f510f_z.jpg

I look this composition is 'too normal'.
Perhaps, it is more subjective of my perception only.

Last edited:

I was stepping back, and took another picture.
perhaps, this is what you mean.

5178426696_e74f1f510f_z.jpg

I look this composition is 'too normal'.
Perhaps, it is more subjective of my perception only.

Look at both pictures again. Which one makes more sense?

Trying to be unique or uncommon is fine... but have to make sure it is appealing and makes sense.

Last edited:
try to do cropping.

I wish the bridge light switched on, too bad I can't do it on photoshop. :-(

5178082017_ae484187c4_b.jpg

In this case I obviously did not get what you were trying to put across. Looking at your original picture I felt I was looking and walking right into the pole of the bridge. I feel that if one wants to utilise a leading line, the leading line itself has to be a prominent or attention catching one to begin with. Some good examples of a good leading line IMO:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimpatterson/4999459138/
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6580673&postcount=382
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcheong/4976761376/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcheong/4307395380/

In this case I obviously did not get what you were trying to put across. Looking at your original picture I felt I was looking and walking right into the pole of the bridge. I feel that if one wants to utilise a leading line, the leading line itself has to be a prominent or attention catching one to begin with. Some good examples of a good leading line IMO:

I revise the picture with the crop version. what is your opinion?

All your examples have clear line, but, IMO, the placement of the line is too centric.
and, except the dune trail, the line cuts against the horizon.
I feel quite awkward composition.

I revise the picture with the crop version. what is your opinion?

All your examples have clear line, but, IMO, the placement of the line is too centric.
and, except the dune trail, the line cuts against the horizon.
I feel quite awkward composition.

You mean this? Looks pretty much the same to me :dunno:

Its true those are centered, but at least to me the lines lead my eyes to the main subjects.
Anyway those were just a few examples. Plenty of other examples you can find in flickr and here in CS. Take some time to explore on your own :)

Last edited: