Teachers' salaries to go up under new package that costs S$380m

Status
Not open for further replies.

advrider

Sep 3, 2007
LA 2019
SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Education (MOE) announced at the Principals' Appointment Ceremony Friday that principals and teachers will get higher pay packages starting April 2008.

Under a new initiative called Grow 2.0, the annual package of good performing teachers will be increased by up to 12%, while that for better performers will be increased by up to 18%.

Costing the government S$380 million per year, this new pay and career package is aimed at making the teaching profession more attractive.

Under the new scheme, teachers will receive a one-off salary increment of up to four per cent.

They will also be placed on a salary range system with merit increments that are based on one's performance, potential and market wage movements. This will replace the current salary scale system with fixed annual increments.

Under the new initiative, there will be higher performance bonuses and sharper differentiation in payouts based on performance. Teachers will receive performance bonuses ranging from one month to 2.25 months.

And prior to the roll-out of the new scheme, a performance bonus top-up ranging from 0.5 month to 1.25 months will be given in March.

With the above changes, a classroom teacher with three years experience can see his or her annual pay package rise from S$52,000 to S$58,000. And for an outstanding performer, the new package can mean a jump from S$55,000 to S$65,000.

Minister for Education Tharman Shanmugaratnam said at the annual ceremony, "(Offering) competitive salaries (is) a necessary but not a sufficient condition... We have to ensure pay remains competitive at every level of the education service."

Besides better pay and bigger bonus, the new package will provide teachers with a more attractive remuneration package, more career and development opportunities and greater flexibility to balance the demands of work and family.

Currently, only female teachers can apply for no-pay childcare leave up to the child's third birthday. But under the new scheme, both male and female teachers can apply for no-pay childcare leave up to the child's fourth birthday.

Yew Tee Primary School teacher Sharul Hisham said, "With regards to work-life balance initiatives that have been announced by the minister, the teaching profession will be more attractive."

The new package will also enhance the financial support and leave schemes to enable more teachers to upgrade themselves.

Principal of Raffles Junior College Lim Lai Cheng welcomed the new initiative. "At the moment, we're facing challenges of students who are more exposed, who have a stronger hunger for knowledge within a subject area. If teachers can be experts in their areas, definitely (it) will help engage the students better."

In addition, more teachers can opt to teach part-time under the new scheme. And up to five more teacher posts will be given to each school cluster to support schools with teachers who are pursuing full-time postgraduate studies.

The ministry will also enhance its long-term incentive plan known as CONNECT Plan.

Under the current plan, teachers receive annual deposits throughout their career and can draw out a proportion of the money every three to five years.

The new package will bring up the total career deposits for CONNECT by about six per cent. Education officers can also draw out their full deposits after 30 years, instead of the current 40 years.

The ministry said it is targeting to have 30,000 teachers employed by 2010. Currently it has about 29,000.

This year, the resignation rate for teachers was three per cent, half a percentage point more than the previous year. - CNA/ac

May I ask, Why so many resigning? :eek: :dunno:

Oh for various reasons ... can't stand the kids, can't stand the colleagues, can't stand the HODs, can't stand the P/VP, can't stand the job, can't understand themselves ...

Anyway my take on this is pay revision exercise ... hey it's good! :bsmilie:

Can tahan kena bully and complaint by students, go ahead be a teacher.:)

principals and teachers only?

wat bout mso? wat about those who have to teach as well, and do other stuff (counselling, syllabus planning, etc), but not considered a full teacher?

:cry:

It is a step in the right direction, but it is by no means a significant increase. 12 - 18% for a 3K salary is about 300-500 dollars. but if u get 100k a month, then it is a lot.

Oh for various reasons ... can't stand the kids, can't stand the colleagues, can't stand the HODs, can't stand the P/VP, can't stand the job, can't understand themselves ...

Anyway my take on this is pay revision exercise ... hey it's good! :bsmilie:

Kids is a small issue. HODs and P/VP is a big issue. ;)

i think it's possibly a move to encourage recruitment

from what i've seen and heard from friends/acquaintances the teaching profession in singapore is fast becoming a very forbidding one

and what better way to encourage participation than... monetary incentive!

i think it's possibly a move to encourage recruitment

from what i've seen and heard from friends/acquaintances the teaching profession in singapore is fast becoming a very forbidding one

monetary incentive or compensation? ;p

teaching was no longer wat we knew as students ..

It is a mentally demanding job. It is not as easy as it seems.

Looks like every ministry is set to align themselves more competitively against the private sector which has been slowly and surely drawing people away from "Service to the Nation".

Significant or not... I guess for the "truly loyal"... it always gives you the "feel good" factor... "Hey. I'm finally getting a little reward for slogging it out over the past few years while my contemporaries have been leaving one-by-one.

I'd like to teach some day...But at the rate things are going... I probably would only be able to do so at 45. :bsmilie: MOE isn't going to want a newbie teacher then I think.

I'd like to teach some day...But at the rate things are going... I probably would only be able to do so at 45. :bsmilie: MOE isn't going to want a newbie teacher then I think.

you are quite wrong actually, if you do have the qualifications, i believe they will offer you, irregardless the lack of teaching experience.

i have seen it myself, at a recent recruitment seminar for a certain post, one mid-career guy was asking if he would be considered, because of his age and lack of teaching experience, as he was intending a mid-career switch.

The staff who were chairing the Q&A asked for his qualifications, he had a Masters, so they were quite willing to offer him a teacher's job, and asked him to wait around after the seminar to discuss the job offer.

So if you got the papers, it seems never too late, especially when you have the passion for teaching.

(sidenote: my father, early 60s, was an ex-teacher in the 70s, he tried to apply for teaching again in midst of a career change, passion was still there, he was rejected, not even an interview, probably lack of qualifications, as he only had a teaching certificate issued by the ministry way back then. He has since given up hope, now working in another job.)

Monetary incentives might be able to attract new teachers but certainly will not keep them. I'm certain there are other jobs out there paying the same salary but have less stressful environment.

For people who love teaching, it's really great news for them.

Ministers' pay up 21% and teachers' pay only 4%. Is the 12 or 18 % in addition to the 4%? Just asking!

the regular upping of salaries and benefits for teachers points to a problem. high turnover within the teaching service.

I'll believe when I see it (in my bank acc.)

People don't join the profession for the money.

And,

teachers don't quit because of the money.

Out of the 10 teachers who resigned that I spoke to, all 10 wasn't because of money. And all 10 were already drawing very good salary after the yearly increments over the years. And finally, all ten took a very steep pay cut when they decide to resign.

Trust me, monetary incentive may encourage signing up, but reducing attrition is a diff story.

Out of the 10 teachers who resigned that I spoke to, all 10 wasn't because of money. And all 10 were already drawing very good salary after the yearly increments over the years. And finally, all ten took a very steep pay cut when they decide to resign.

Trust me, monetary incentive may encourage signing up, but reducing attrition is a diff story.

of course, but there's nothing much to be done about today's attitudes and kids

don't you think? :)

of course, but there's nothing much to be done about today's attitudes and kids

don't you think? :)

Actually, as far as I know, it isn't all abt the kids' attitudes, rather more on the system's expectations of teachers and the kids, and the way they want the expectations realised. Hey, wat do I know. :dunno: I'm a photographer ;p

Of course lah, when you give up teaching, where can you go? open your own tuition agency?

I think teaching seems to me to be a dead end career... is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.