Tamron 150-600mm F5-6.3 ultra-telephoto zoom

One of my major gripes with the Tamron 150-600mm is how it handles under strong glare / lighting. Bird shots with the sun behind me is gorgeous, but with strong Sunlight coming from any other angles, i lose a lot of contrast and details. For the amount I paid, I know its not going to beat a prime in such difficult conditions.

I've been using DxO Optics (instead of LR) for awhile, great film simulations and simple controls. Adjusting the contrast on shots that lack contrast helps a bit, but the color becomes 'strong' and not 'vivid', and its quite a manual process. Recent DxO Optics 10 has a new feature called ClearView (See more here http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/photo-software/dxo-opticspro/features/clearview) and I've given it a go and its quite good results. Its easier then adjusting all the contrast settings and playing with curves for one. Just select clearview and adjust intensity..

Here's a before and after sample. Comments ?

Birds Chilling by darkalfie, on Flickr

Birds Chilling (2nd Version) by darkalfie, on Flickr

Hi,

Just wondering, is this lens be used with the Nikon TC14III or TC20III teleconverter?

Can it mount onto sony A6000? Was thinking of 2nd body and what was the cost because I know the sigma version very expensive

Since it is only available in A mount, with the LA-EA4, it can.

Im using the Sony version of this lens with the a77ii.

You're likely to get way faster AF using the Sony mount + LAEA4 than other mounts + Metabones. Although the LAEA4 has faster AF, like a SLT, the AF points are clustered in the centre so thats a consideration point too.

Im using the Sony version of this lens with the a77ii. You're likely to get way faster AF using the Sony mount + LAEA4 than other mounts + Metabones. Although the LAEA4 has faster AF, like a SLT, the AF points are clustered in the centre so thats a consideration point too.
Cool. Thanks for the info!

How is the image resolution like?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can rent this?

I check Camera Rental Biz but they don't have it.

I am looking at a Sony mount. I am using Sony a7r.

I can share a few photos from my shoot yesterday at japanese garden later when I get home.

Pretty good at 600mm f8. Many users have said that it is pretty sharp when stopped down at 600mm.

With my a77ii, its a 900mm focal length so I really like that about this lens. AF feels quite ok too but I have quite a way to go before I can comment properly on the AF capabilities of this lens, esp tracking wise, when paired with Sony cameras.

Actually pixel density wise, the 24mp aps sensors in the a77ii and a6000 should be denser than the a7r.

If you want the best resolution but dont really need the reach, such as sports, then maybe you can consider the 70400g2 for about $6-700 more brand new.

Else the 150-600 should be your best bet for birding on a FF setup. :)

Actually pixel density wise, the 24mp aps sensors in the a77ii and a6000 should be denser than the a7r. If you want the best resolution but dont really need the reach, such as sports, then maybe you can consider the 70400g2 for about $6-700 more brand new. Else the 150-600 should be your best bet for birding on a FF setup. :)

Cool! Interesting idea! Thanks for the pointer. Let me research in that!!

Here's one shot from my 150-600 tryout yesterday (29 Dec)
16148418195_42606983c4_z.jpg

560mm, f8, 1/160, ISO 500

Sigma 150-600 too heavy, Nikon 80-400 too ex.; looks like Tamron it is.
What's the current going price?
PM me if not convenient to post. TQ!

Thanks daredevil123, hope to see you in the field....

can buy sony mount liao...heheh...can ask Tamron got special treatment if I own two mounts...LOL

For Sony users, my advice is to try it out and compare with 70-400G, do not just think of the long end. The other trick that 70-400G has up its sleeves is the 1.5m min focus distance... great for butterflies and tame birds like pittas, robins and some sunbirds. I love my 70-400G too much so I got myself a canon mount for the Tammy, plus I wanted the VC very badly.

Last edited: