Sunset in Pearl Harbour, Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinusoidal

Aug 7, 2006
Hey all, my first time. Please give ur valuable C&Cs.

This picture was taken in Pearl Harbour, Hawaii. It was about 6plus in the evening and the sun was setting over the mountains. It was taken with a Olympus SP320.

Edited3newsmall.jpg

Last edited:
you've lost almost every details. was it on purpose?
i can say that this was taken in Sg.
picturing that this shot will be good is all is not black.

I think it is quite pretty, but yah... too much details lost. It is indeed difficult to balance the exposure between the foreground and the back, tho. Maybe HDR using RAW?

you've lost almost every details. was it on purpose?
i can say that this was taken in Sg.
picturing that this shot will be good is all is not black.

I darkened the photo on purpose to focus on the sun and its reflection on the water. So in a way it was deliberate after during editing. But would like to clarify what details you are talking about...is it the foreground and also the hills?:dunno:

Also this was taken in Pearl Harbour not in singapore. :)

Thanks for your comments!

I think it is quite pretty, but yah... too much details lost. It is indeed difficult to balance the exposure between the foreground and the back, tho. Maybe HDR using RAW?

Thank you for the comment. Pardon my ignorance, but could you enlighten me on what HDR is? I am using a PnS Olympus SP320, so i dun think i have it in RAW format.

Cheers:)

i think TS metered straight at the sun. note that TS also did a -0.7 EV.

I darkened the photo on purpose to focus on the sun and its reflection on the water. So in a way it was deliberate after during editing. But would like to clarify what details you are talking about...is it the foreground and also the hills?:dunno:

Also this was taken in Pearl Harbour not in singapore. :)

Thanks for your comments!

haha.
i mean i can assume this was taken in Sg, although i do believe that this was taken in Pearl Harbour. relax...

and yes, my details are referring to those in the foreground and background. look at the foreground. it's covered in total darkness. the mountain/hill is kinda noticeable so it's okay... but maybe you shouldn't darken so much on the foreground?

and HDR is a.k.a High Dynamic Range. it's when you combined 3 different exposures to get a perfect exposure/dynamic range. see more here.

Nice composition and effect. Though most details of the landscape are silhoutte. Positive comment by me becos i believe u have u're own style on doin it. To me it looks like thunderstorm is lurking around blinding us when we're so mesmerized with the colours of sunset. Tat's art is all about.

Last edited:
i think TS metered straight at the sun. note that TS also did a -0.7 EV.

haha.
i mean i can assume this was taken in Sg, although i do believe that this was taken in Pearl Harbour. relax...

and yes, my details are referring to those in the foreground and background. look at the foreground. it's covered in total darkness. the mountain/hill is kinda noticeable so it's okay... but maybe you shouldn't darken so much on the foreground?

and HDR is a.k.a High Dynamic Range. it's when you combined 3 different exposures to get a perfect exposure/dynamic range. see more here.

Yup, you are absolutely correct on how i made my shot. Where should i have metered at to get a better effect? Point taken on the darkening suggestions. Thanks for info on HDR. Very informative. Cheers

Nice composition and effect. Though most details of the landscape are silhoutte. Positive comment by me becos i believe u have u're own style on doin it. To me it looks like thunderstorm is lurking around blinding us when were so mesmerized with the colours of sunset. Look intrigue. Tat's art is all about.

Thanks! Very encouraging. Appreciate it. :D

Yup, you are absolutely correct on how i made my shot. Where should i have metered at to get a better effect? Point taken on the darkening suggestions. Thanks for info on HDR. Very informative. Cheers

there's no 'where should i metered'. maybe i should say it's all trial and error. you have to try yourself to get the results you wan. if your camera supports RAW, it would have been great! cos you will be able to do HDR. do you mind if i request to see the original image up here?

but like wat reconn has said, you have your own style. everyone has their own styles. so, don do it for others, do it for yourself. my opinions of this picture is from a third person's POV. some may and may not like this shot. you can't suit to everyone's liking.

so, if you think this photo is good, it's good, no one can deny that cos it's your photo. that's the most important thing.

Here is the original....more comments pls. =)

P1010162resized.jpg

i would grade a 8/10. nice job i would say, coz u're usig a PnS cam. agree that it's a pity that some details are lost. just wondering, did u take more shots with other settings? we could probably comment more. wouldn't know if there were other better ways to take the perfect pic coz we weren't there to really try taking some shots.

i would grade a 8/10. nice job i would say, coz u're usig a PnS cam. agree that it's a pity that some details are lost. just wondering, did u take more shots with other settings? we could probably comment more. wouldn't know if there were other better ways to take the perfect pic coz we weren't there to really try taking some shots.

Thanks for encouragement!! Pity i do not have anymore....will continue to upload other pics for c&c. =)

I personally don't get why there should be a “double-standard” grading system where those using PnS cameras are given handicaps or pity marks. This just reinforces stereotypes that point and shoot cameras are substandard compared to other types of system (ie: DSLR)
In most cases, this might be true but there are anomalies and exceptions .What I'm saying is that such perceptions should not be the first impression that comes to mind when stumbling upon a PnS user, and should not be a benchmark in any way.

:sweat:

On Topic : Anywho, I prefer the original composition. Like many others have mentioned upthread, the darkness there is just too overbearing. Perhaps, the details that were lost can add some appeal and interest since it's at Pearl Harbour. Either way, you should PP away that curvy line on the bottom right of the photo. Overall, the mood is good though.

Last edited:
Crop of 16:9 would be better.

I like it better when its not cropped. That way the viewers can see more details rather than just the sunset.

Those are battleships right? Cool.. it would be nice if I can see them.. not trying to hint you about your exposure, just that I have special feelings for battleships.. ha..

Those are battleships right? Cool.. it would be nice if I can see them.. not trying to hint you about your exposure, just that I have special feelings for battleships.. ha..

there was only 1 battleship at pearl harbour, USS Missouri. But it has been mothballed and is open to public now. The rest are cruisers and destroyers..

i have pics of the sunken battleship USS Arizona during the japanese invasion in 1941. If you want i can post it for you viewing.=)

and why the fascination with battleships??

I like it better when its not cropped. That way the viewers can see more details rather than just the sunset.

Uh ok whatever details you can make out of the pitch black shadows. Your preference lol

Do you even know what is 16:9

Status
Not open for further replies.