SunRise at Bintan Angsana

wangmw11

Jun 15, 2008
www.shapes.sg
Hi Guys,

Here are some sunrise shots I took while I am Bintan Angsana for a short trip.

Please give me your honest comments! Aways keen to know areas which I can improve ;)

4762524418_e07c139cde_z.jpg

4762521370_f13a10df6c_z.jpg

4762471320_51ab4876d1_z.jpg

4761882687_4a5135d3ca_z.jpg

What lens you using?
I like the third phote :)

Hi Vultures,

Thanks for the comment :)

I'm using Canon 16-35mm F2.8 with a 5D MkII body. The settings are f2.8, 1/40, ISO400, in case you want to know that as well :) don't have a tripod with me (in exchange to bring my 8month old daughter for this trip hee...), so have to shoot at higher iso and f-stop. Nevetheless the pictures still turn out well although not the most ideal.

Very serene and all nicely captured... only the last pic i just can't focus to the right or left ;)

Do take note of your horizons especially when doing landscape shots. Be careful not too tilt them like what you did in #1 and #2. That is one of the first few things I learnt when I started to take landscapes :)

Very serene and all nicely captured... only the last pic i just can't focus to the right or left ;)

Hi Cluelezzz, thanks for the comment :D for the last picture, i wanted to capture the beach chairs and the sun rise at the same time. Maybe I should shoot at an angle where the beach chairs and sunrise are more align at the center..... :S

Do take note of your horizons especially when doing landscape shots. Be careful not too tilt them like what you did in #1 and #2. That is one of the first few things I learnt when I started to take landscapes :)

Hi Mimik07, what do you mean by "too tilt", can you please enlighten me? Cause I don't get what you are trying to say and I want to know so I can learn :D

Hi Mimik07, what do you mean by "too tilt", can you please enlighten me? Cause I don't get what you are trying to say and I want to know so I can learn :D

I meant "not to tilt"..sorry for the typo and confusion :sweat:

What I was trying to say was to try to keep your shots 'straight'. Eg in #1, the left side of your horizon appears to be higher than the right, thus it appears slanted. Don't worry though, cos you can easily correct that during PP. :)

Hope you get what I'm trying to say.. :)

very nice! make me want to go bintan:)

i need a holiday!:cry:

I meant "not to tilt"..sorry for the typo and confusion :sweat:

What I was trying to say was to try to keep your shots 'straight'. Eg in #1, the left side of your horizon appears to be higher than the right, thus it appears slanted. Don't worry though, cos you can easily correct that during PP. :)

Hope you get what I'm trying to say.. :)

Ah... I get it now.. I did try to level it straight.. but I think it's not straight enough :D hee...

Thanks for the tip mimik07 :D

Ah... I get it now.. I did try to level it straight.. but I think it's not straight enough :D hee...

Thanks for the tip mimik07 :D

Don't mention. Just passing on what I've learnt from the fellow CSers ;)

Hi TS,

Apart from the tilted horizons in a couple of pics, I would also try to frame the sun off the center of the frame. For #3 and #4, I would darken the sky more to get more details out of the sky. Either, blending using layers, or using a GND.

Good sunrise though. Did you try shooting at the rock formations to the left side of the beach? This was my shot when I went to Angsana last month.

4675294028_267fb50938.jpg

Last edited:
Hi TS,

Apart from the tilted horizons in a couple of pics, I would also try to frame the sun off the center of the frame. For #3 and #4, I would darken the sky more to get more details out of the sky. Either, blending using layers, or using a GND.

Good sunrise though. Did you try shooting at the rock formations to the left side of the beach? This was my shot when I went to Angsana last month.

Hi Daredevil,

I test out framing the sun off the center the next time and see how it goes :) but of course somewhere and not at Bintan Angsana... hee.. Agree darkening the sky will be nicer, but I think not the whole sky but more towards the area furthest away from the sun to make it more contrasting.

Thanks I personally like the colours of the sky and sun from #1 the most.

Yes I do but my rock formation shots are not as fanastic as yours. I wish I brough my tripod with me.. Only can bring limited camera gear due to weight constraint so no choice :p

What a waste, if you go to Angsana later and I go earlier we could have meet up and take sunrise together :D

Here are three pictures #5, #6 and #7 of the rock formation.
4762496106_dab0d455e3.jpg

4762505530_f75aa02ce2.jpg

4762509190_4748b5e8b8.jpg

I probably wouldn't have cut off the walking platform in #5 like you did. Perhaps if you had taken a couple of steps to your right, you would have been able to frame a the walkway as a leading line to the horizon? :think:

Just my 2 cents :)

Hi Daredevil,

I test out framing the sun off the center the next time and see how it goes :) but of course somewhere and not at Bintan Angsana... hee.. Agree darkening the sky will be nicer, but I think not the whole sky but more towards the area furthest away from the sun to make it more contrasting.

Thanks I personally like the colours of the sky and sun from #1 the most.

Yes I do but my rock formation shots are not as fanastic as yours. I wish I brough my tripod with me.. Only can bring limited camera gear due to weight constraint so no choice :p

What a waste, if you go to Angsana later and I go earlier we could have meet up and take sunrise together :D

Here are three pictures #5, #6 and #7 of the rock formation.

Actually when I mean darken, I do not mean you should make it very dark. Just bringing it down around 0.5 to 1 stop will bring out the colors and the contrast more. And also a Graduated darkening would be good.

When I took my shot, I saw the formation of the clouds and framed it so that the clouds would form a leading line to the horizon and to the sun. From your pic #5, if you would to step to the right a few more steps, you would have seen the same view.

Hi TS,

4675294028_267fb50938.jpg

Awesome shot, Bertz! Very nice and rich in colour. Love the cloud and the sky!

TS, your #6 is also not bad except it wasn't as dramatic. Good job considering you shot them without tripod and filter.

Awesome shot, Bertz! Very nice and rich in colour. Love the cloud and the sky!

TS, your #6 is also not bad except it wasn't as dramatic. Good job considering you shot them without tripod and filter.

Thanks F2point8!

the problem here with all your landscape photos is that there is a lack of a strong foreground element to act as an anchor.

this point is quite important for landscape photos most of the time.

I probably wouldn't have cut off the walking platform in #5 like you did. Perhaps if you had taken a couple of steps to your right, you would have been able to frame a the walkway as a leading line to the horizon? :think:

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks Mimik07 for pointing that out.. did not realise it when I was taking the shot. :p