[SunChasersSG] Newbies Outing Photo (Part 21) - Sunrise @ Marina Bay 27 Nov 2010

Visual balance should be applied to most photo.. today, you have emphasis it should be considered more (especially) for buildings. Wonder if you have some background in architecture or mainly interest in photography that trigger you to read up a bit more on architectural shoots?

Yes, you have to make it right.. the approach of visiting a few time/period/etc goes for many, many shoots :)

Will be happy to attend if there is a architectural walkout outing that you will lead :)

I'm an architect by profession and also an architectural photographer on a freelance basis :)

I'm an architect by profession and also an architectural photographer on a freelance basis :)
:) Your expert inputs are much appreciated.

Definitely keen to follow if you have the time to lead an "architectural walkout" session.

Would like to contribute to a successful session.

The reason why I have not chosed to shoot MBS from the left side ever since the museum took shape is because the design and proportion of it is totally detached from the rest of the buildings in the MBS cluster. Hence placing the museum closer to the frame actually amplifies this uncomfortable fit and obstructs the first tower from full view. I feel that the rythem of the 3 towers is being distrupted unnecessarily. Further, the low-rise convention centre at the extreme right occupies a much bigger(longer) piece of the cluster. With a view from the left, you'd be left with too much space on the right of the photo. The composition becomes unbalanced. MBS was designed to be a cluster of buildings, hence the challenge is to photograph it in a way which reveals this design intention. This is directed to the 1st photo.

2nd and 3rd photo are slightly better where composition is concerned because the clearer separation of the buildings represents the design intentions. However, the problem with too much space over the low-rise convention centre which results in unbalanced compositions still persists. The 3rd photo is slightly more balanced with the Flyer but buildings on the extreme left start creeping in. This should be avoided.

Personally, I would still have gone for a head-on shot of this MBS from somewhere in front of One Fullerton, which is much further right of where these photos were taken to get a clearer separation between the buildings and obtain more balanced compositions. If I need to take the MBS from an alternate perspective, I will choose to take it from the Promontory. Placing the convention centre closer to you is better than having the museum in the foreground.

Thank you so much for dropping by and spend your valuable time to give us more insight into architectural shoot.

Bro, thanks for dropping by and giving us your valuable perspective in composition of the buildings. Very helpful and valuable. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

... If I need to take the MBS from an alternate perspective, I will choose to take it from the Promontory. Placing the convention centre closer to you is better than having the museum in the foreground.

Bro Kit... we were going to hold the newbie outing at the promontory. Just that due to unforeseen circumstances, the organizer had to make the very hard choice to move it to the bridge.

And yes, actually I like the MBS from the promontory...

5185831699_780516f53e.jpg

a bit late on my "submission", but seeing as a lot got the same shots, i'll put up a few candids instead. =)

compulsory submission
5214424165_641831b937.jpg

quite a number turned up
5214377107_86cd69e17c.jpg

successful outing
5214945178_52807c89ef.jpg

time to celebrate? kekeke
5214394893_b128dfdfc2.jpg

still shooting
5214411677_944181717c.jpg

enjoy!

Personally, I would still have gone for a head-on shot of this MBS from somewhere in front of One Fullerton, which is much further right of where these photos were taken to get a clearer separation between the buildings and obtain more balanced compositions. If I need to take the MBS from an alternate perspective, I will choose to take it from the Promontory. Placing the convention centre closer to you is better than having the museum in the foreground.

Just to follow up on Kit's comments. Shot from the Promontory (if MBS only)
5216148000_b81b2da761_b.jpg

and shot from One-Fullerton (of MBS)
5216147752_4240c71077_b.jpg

Guess you can see the perspective differences of MBS when view from different locations. ;)

:) Your expert inputs are much appreciated.

Definitely keen to follow if you have the time to lead an "architectural walkout" session.

No problem :)

I've actually thought of having a session by the Promontory in mid Dec but I've noticed that Jacobs will be having one there next Saturday so I guess that location will be well covered. Got to think of something else.

Yes, the lightings from the museum can be a headache. I don't use the black card to control the exposure though. If its a small portion of the photo, I'll usually adjust the brighter parts with the highlight/shadow sliders in PS. That works most of the time.

Just as important as getting the technicalities right, appreciating the design of buildings is crucial in working out compositions. Sometimes, it could be as straight forward as to just walk around the building looking for the best angle. Once you find that angle, you might still have to visit the building another time because the ambient light is not right for you to take the photo. In essence, the building is always there. You are the one who can really make it look different from the rest of the photos with your unique approach.

Hi Kit,
Thank you for the short and interesting lesson in architectural photography.
No wonder when I visited my son, also an architect (but not a photographer) working in London, and for his personal interests, he would usually bring me to the South Bank of the Thames River to stroll and look at buildings. The next time when I visit him again, I will have something to talk to him about looking at buildings.:bsmilie:
Cheers and God Bless.
LEW

No problem :)

I've actually thought of having a session by the Promontory in mid Dec but I've noticed that Jacobs will be having one there next Saturday so I guess that location will be well covered. Got to think of something else.

Hi Kit, so means you going to come down and guide us..?:lovegrin::lovegrin:

Bro Kit... we were going to hold the newbie outing at the promontory. Just that due to unforeseen circumstances, the organizer had to make the very hard choice to move it to the bridge.

And yes, actually I like the MBS from the promontory...

5185831699_780516f53e.jpg

I see. What happened? Promontory closed?

Just to follow up on Kit's comments. Shot from the Promontory (if MBS only)
5216148000_b81b2da761_b.jpg

and shot from One-Fullerton (of MBS)
5216147752_4240c71077_b.jpg

Guess you can see the perspective differences of MBS when view from different locations. ;)

Yup, more or less. Those were the locations I was referring to.

Hi Kit,
Thank you for the short and interesting lesson in architectural photography.
No wonder when I visited my son, also an architect (but not a photographer) working in London, and for his personal interests, he would usually bring me to the South Bank of the Thames River to stroll and look at buildings. The next time when I visit him again, I will have something to talk to him about looking at buildings.:bsmilie:
Cheers and God Bless.
LEW

I think most architects can appreciate buildings in different perspectives, its part and parcel of the design process :)

I see. What happened? Promontory closed?

Another group beat us to the place... and the organizer did not really like the idea of our group clashing with theirs... ;)