[SunChasersSG] Newbies Outing Photo (Part 21) - Sunrise @ Marina Bay 27 Nov 2010

I think its a fine outing. The standard of work produced is way above what you'd normally see on CS.

Thank you for the compliment. As you can see, we are all trying hard to move up to the next level here together. Trying out all sorts of things. Sharing and "poisoning" each other in the mean time too... :bsmilie:

jeffery ong,

10 point for the monkey tshirt, -10 guy shooting :p haha

Sorry, I am very late in submitting my homework. C&C are welcome.

5219791116_03981d24ff.jpg

#2 This picture was taken last time but hopefully you guys can give me your guidance on how I can improve further.
5219664671_c7a39130f2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I am very late in submitting my homework. C&C are welcome.

5219791116_03981d24ff.jpg

#2 This picture was taken last time but hopefully you guys can give me your guidance on how I can improve further.
5219664671_c7a39130f2.jpg

OGL, your photos nice and sharp... exposure is good too, in my opinion.

Main issue with both: not enough breathing space around the buildings... shooting at widest with kit lens? Time to BBB a UWA :devil:
Also, (and there's some debate about this) I feel that the horizon is not level in #1. Am using the MBS towers and their reflection as a guideline. To me, I feel that the opposite shoreline gives a 'false horizon', so when you make that level, you actually end up with a tilted photo.
See DD123's explanation from our T.Rhu outing some time back [http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6107189&postcount=40]
Hope that helps.

#2 also has levelling issues I feel.

OGL, your photos nice and sharp... exposure is good too, in my opinion.

Main issue with both: not enough breathing space around the buildings... shooting at widest with kit lens? Time to BBB a UWA :devil:
Also, (and there's some debate about this) I feel that the horizon is not level in #1. Am using the MBS towers and their reflection as a guideline. To me, I feel that the opposite shoreline gives a 'false horizon', so when you make that level, you actually end up with a tilted photo.
See DD123's explanation from our T.Rhu outing some time back [http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6107189&postcount=40]
Hope that helps.

#2 also has levelling issues I feel.

maybe using the verticals will be easier? Things like a straight buildings, lamppost, etc to gauge if the photo is tilted.

maybe using the verticals will be easier? Things like a straight buildings, lamppost, etc to gauge if the photo is tilted.
Unless you're looking at a different photo than me, OGL's #1 has no straight verticals or lamp-posts.

ZCA, is #01 tilting clockwise a wee little bit? I am looking at the long light reflection of the low building on the left - still learning the nitty gritties. :sweat:
Cheers.
LEW

ZCA, is #01 tilting clockwise a wee little bit? I am looking at the long light reflection of the low building on the left - still learning the nitty gritties. :sweat:
Cheers.
LEW
You mean OGL's #1 or my #1 ? :)

I'm looking at it again on my iPod Touch, so better not to comment whether CW or anti-CW ;)
Let you know again later.
From what I've learnt from stalking others' threads, an object's reflection should be directly below it. And pick objects near center of frame to use as reference.

Last edited:
Unless you're looking at a different photo than me, OGL's #1 has no straight verticals or lamp-posts.

OGL's photo are kind of small to see clearly. #1, I used the right most tablet right hand side edge. Looks pretty vertically. Most of our photos has this part really vertical.

You mean OGL's #1 or my #1 ? :)

I'm looking at it again on my iPod Touch, so better not to comment whether CW or anti-CW ;)
Let you know again later.
From what I've learnt from stalking others' threads, an object's reflection should be directly below it. And pick objects near center of frame to use as reference.

Bros reflections can lie too sometimes.... Especially if there is movement in waves in a certain direction and you do a Long Exposure on those waves... the reflections will "move"... look at this pic as an example...

4892675244_a112d4dd12.jpg

hmmm :think: you have a point.

jialat.... dunno what to use as reference now. MBS not vertical. Opposite shoreline induces horizontal perspective distortion. Reflection susceptible to movement of water surface...

siao liao...

From what I've observed, current driven distortion in reflections usually have a slight curvature towards the flow of the water. However, this can be overlooked on location since it cannot be detected easily with the naked eye.

Much that I'd like to emphasize on the importance of keeping verticals and horizons straight, there are instances where it is near impossible to verify if they are indeed aligned properly. I wouldn't fret too much over it and prefer to go with gut feel. If it looks ok..... then you probably are not too far off.

noted with thanks, Kit :)

will keep that in mind. I guess I keep 'sweating the small stuff'... should take a step back and look at the bigger picture.