suggestion for budget flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

maritimus831

Oct 11, 2005
hi guys, using a 350d here. i want to get a flash that is relatively cheap (prefably below $200). what choices do i have? i rather not get a canon flash as they are pretty EX(no pun intended)

below $200 is tough. But if you bump your price up by $50, you can probably get a 2nd hand 420EX or a secondhand Sigma EF 500 Super

is it generally ok to get a second-hand flash? i've read that its not advisable as it is hard to access if it would stop working soon.

maritimus831 said:
hi guys, using a 350d here. i want to get a flash that is relatively cheap (prefably below $200). what choices do i have? i rather not get a canon flash as they are pretty EX(no pun intended)

Or...if you want a simple flash without any bounce feature and first hand, u can get the 220EX at slightly over $200.

When I asked a similar question in the past, someone suggested the Vivitar 285hv. Unfortunately I am still searching for it myself, and it's not exactly a dedicated flash that allows you to simply point and shoot. Some tinkering needs to be done, but I've read up about it and it doesn't sound too difficult at all. Thing to check though, is if the trigger voltage of the flash will damage your camera. I suspect this model is safe to use.

back in the good old 90's... the hype was about the Vivitar 283... you could never find it in Singapore but if you managed to get your hands on one... you'd have gotten a gem..

Vivitar283_.jpg

mckenzy said:
back in the good old 90's... the hype was about the Vivitar 283... you could never find it in Singapore but if you managed to get your hands on one... you'd have gotten a gem..

Vivitar283_.jpg

yep, they last a lifetime/

ray_stinger said:
The Vivitar 285 is good too. I have used it before and its exposure is often spot on. :)

I'm still looking for one. Do they still sell this flash anymore?

gryphon said:
hummm....maybe i make a trip to Sungei Rd :think:

:bsmilie: Yes, I should go there too...looking for an antique camera.

maritimus831 said:

If you want i have an old Yashica flash with manual flash intensity control and auto, can be used as an autoflash on Canon DSLRs. I can sell it to u cheap.

I'm using my old SB25..
I set to manual when i shoot...
troublesome coz need to manually adjust the power output level..

But it's cheap and reliable.. 580EX too $$$ for me liao..:(

scud said:
and double up as a street shooting too..;p
anyone?

If I'm lucky, I'd be able to go in the afternoon. In the morning, I'll be on the dentist's chair getting my stitches removed from the gums.

ray_stinger said:
i still have one here with me....well...u can always try posting in our buy and sell forum....i saw a 285 up on sale several months ago....

In the past, these things have gone for a steal at the B&S forums, but for the difference in price, I'd prefer to get a new one, rather than spend almost $100 and have it blow up in my face after a few uses. :bsmilie: I was told that this flash can be had for around $150 new.

Status
Not open for further replies.