Sony Infrared IR and Nightshot Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
holeinone said:
Any idea why my shots appear more brownish?

Does it produce the same colour (brown) when using the usual Nightshot? If not, I guess that's the colour that F717 captures when using IR72 filter.

pianodancer said:
Does it produce the same colour (brown) when using the usual Nightshot? If not, I guess that's the colour that F717 captures when using IR72 filter.

The normal nightshot produces greenish pics. Probably that's how the infrared photos for the 717 looks like.

pianodancer said:
Yes B+W 093 has higher cut-off. Where did you get this? Most places do not sell any IR filter above 720nm, and also it will cost much more. Since you are using V1, I suppose your lens thread is smaller so the cost of a high-cut IR filter is considerably lower.
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/bw093.html

If given a choice, I would also want to get a cut-off above 900nm (B+W 093 cut-off is 830nm). But it's too expensive.

I got the IR filter it from the US. For the V1, you need to get an adapter to attach filters and other converter lenses, so it's still 58mm, like the F series.

holeinone said:
Any idea why my shots appear more brownish?

I normally desaturate my IR photos to get rid of the green, and then just play with the levels a little to get better contrast.

tried taking IR photos... weather not really fantastic yesterday... results not really satisfactory... used R72+ND8... used RM90 & can't see a thing...

btw just asking... normally i can't see a thing, so i use manual, use aperture 2.2, shutter to 15sec... is that norm or am i stupid? cos i can't see so i thought i just open the shutter long for more light to enter.

can't seem to get those really colorful results.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
tried taking IR photos... weather not really fantastic yesterday... results not really satisfactory... used R72+ND8... used RM90 & can't see a thing...

btw just asking... normally i can't see a thing, so i use manual, use aperture 2.2, shutter to 15sec... is that norm or am i stupid? cos i can't see so i thought i just open the shutter long for more light to enter.

can't seem to get those really colorful results.

I suppose U are using the 828? Did you use nightshot mode? If U didn't, it's natural that U can't see anything.

supperman said:
I normally desaturate my IR photos to get rid of the green, and then just play with the levels a little to get better contrast.

I see. My images have not gone thru any post processing yet. I will go experiment with the adjustments.

holeinone said:
I see. My images have not gone thru any post processing yet. I will go experiment with the adjustments.

Mine doesn't either, but it produces 'natural' green.

What is the workflow for manipulating IR photos, other than desaturating?

I tried shooting with a R72 filter only, without the ND filters. Ended up with pretty grainy shoots. How do you guys do it so nicely?

Bernards, to get silky smooth IR shots, simply set the ISO to 64 or 100 :)

Setting it at auto usually pushes ISO up to over 2000 in nightshot mode! For my F717 at least :)

bernards said:
I tried shooting with a R72 filter only, without the ND filters. Ended up with pretty grainy shoots. How do you guys do it so nicely?

I just tried printing my IR shots. I am very happy with the results. Initially, the contrast wasn't there but after I set the printer to Vivid and use Photoenhance (for Epson printer), the printouts look marvellous! Very sharp too. Has a sort of 3D effect also. Can't wait to experiment more with IR photos.

I still find the ND8 + R72 combination still causes the shots in strong daylight to be a little overexposed. Probably adding another ND4 would be ideal.

holeinone said:
I still find the ND8 + R72 combination still causes the shots in strong daylight to be a little overexposed. Probably adding another ND4 would be ideal.

Mine too. But if I stack 3 filters I would get vignetting. I guess with RM90, it should be better since they cut-off more light. Del_CtrlnoAlt, care to share your filter results? And where did you get your hands on that RM90? For how much? Thanks!

pianodancer said:
Mine too. But if I stack 3 filters I would get vignetting. I guess with RM90, it should be better since they cut-off more light. Del_CtrlnoAlt, care to share your filter results? And where did you get your hands on that RM90? For how much? Thanks!

the rm90 is about 180 bucks... really a killer... but never use it much...

anyway... i thought for a moment that i shouldn't use the nightshot mode, cos previously i used nightshot then i saw those using other cameras, den the produce really vibrant results, & i thought.. they dun have the nightshot mode on their camera... how did they get such results... so i tested without nightshot... & based on instinct for pictures, forget about the vignetting... shucks.. overall, pics still ok... now its reddish. :sweatsm:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
the rm90 is about 180 bucks... really a killer... but never use it much...

anyway... i thought for a moment that i shouldn't use the nightshot mode, cos previously i used nightshot then i saw those using other cameras, den the produce really vibrant results, & i thought.. they dun have the nightshot mode on their camera... how did they get such results... so i tested without nightshot... & based on instinct for pictures, forget about the vignetting... shucks.. overall, pics still ok... now its reddish. :sweatsm:

Yes I also tried taking with nightshot off, and got some reddish photos (view my gallery). But the trade-off is the exposure time has to be long. So for handheld situations, the Nightshot is useful.

No doubt that with nightshot off, we should get better-quality IR photos, since with Nightshot on, we are limited to 1/30s and f2. To get better IR shots, the aperture should be smaller to ensure sharpness over greater depth of field. But that makes our Sony cameras on par with the rest.

But ask yourselves: would you want to set up your equipment during a casual outing to capture an IR shot over 15 secs? For a quick insight into the IR world, Sony cams are :thumbsup: the choice.

And if you are serious about IR photography, you shouldn't be getting IR72, because that is near-infrared photography, not true-infrared. You should eye on filters like RM90 or B+W 093, and they cost nearly $200 and up. For me, I just want to have fun ;p .

pianodancer said:
Yes I also tried taking with nightshot off, and got some reddish photos (view my gallery). But the trade-off is the exposure time has to be long. So for handheld situations, the Nightshot is useful.

No doubt that with nightshot off, we should get better-quality IR photos, since with Nightshot on, we are limited to 1/30s and f2. To get better IR shots, the aperture should be smaller to ensure sharpness over greater depth of field. But that makes our Sony cameras on par with the rest.

But ask yourselves: would you want to set up your equipment during a casual outing to capture an IR shot over 15 secs? For a quick insight into the IR world, Sony cams are :thumbsup: the choice.

And if you are serious about IR photography, you shouldn't be getting IR72, because that is near-infrared photography, not true-infrared. You should eye on filters like RM90 or B+W 093, and they cost nearly $200 and up. For me, I just want to have fun ;p .

U are right. Without nightshot on, the exposure times will be too long for handheld phototaking. Btw, how do U guys focus with nightshot off? Focus first then put the filters on?

Would love to try the RM90 but very ex. Have U guys tried printing out your IR pics. I feel that they look really good in print. Have been trying to adjust the colour levels a little. In raw form, they look greenish, so I thot they look better after I adjusted down the green level.

holeinone said:
U are right. Without nightshot on, the exposure times will be too long for handheld phototaking. Btw, how do U guys focus with nightshot off? Focus first then put the filters on?

Would love to try the RM90 but very ex. Have U guys tried printing out your IR pics. I feel that they look really good in print. Have been trying to adjust the colour levels a little. In raw form, they look greenish, so I thot they look better after I adjusted down the green level.

I'm still experimenting on IR shots, so haven't send for printing yet (I don't have a photo printer at home). But yes, the green effects doesn't look too appealing, so I'll trying to 'colourise' my images when I have the time to play around. On problem is that I cannot set white balance using the IR72 filter.

Focusing can be done manually, set to infinity since you are photographing landscape.

Perhaps we should organise IR shooting sessions together. Currently, most of my shots are a tad overexposed. I believe with another ND4/ND8, it will be better. Hopefully one of us have a true-IR filter to let us try around and see if it's worth getting one ourselves.

supperman said:
Are you guys all using the F828? I had a look at the dpreview.com forums and it maybe that F828's sensor might make it tougher to generate false colour IR photos:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=8231932

Yes, after browsing through the DPreview forums, I have to conclude (for now) that F828 is not capable of producing colour IR images. We have to be stuck with monochrome effects. F717, however, is capable of colour IR images. So for those IR enthusiasts who are reading this, be forewarned!

pianodancer said:
Yes, after browsing through the DPreview forums, I have to conclude (for now) that F828 is not capable of producing colour IR images. We have to be stuck with monochrome effects. F717, however, is capable of colour IR images. So for those IR enthusiasts who are reading this, be forewarned!

The 717 is able to capture quite nice IR shots. That's why I am so inspired to try out more shots this weekend. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.