Sony Infrared IR and Nightshot Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianodancer

Sep 15, 2003
Singapore
chester.sg
Hi,

I have not seen any threads pertaining to this topic, so I would like to start it.

For all Sony owners, how are your experiences in IR photography (not just Nightshot photography)? I've searched around the net, but most of the info is very general. Since Sony Nightshot Cams react to IR photography differently, some of the advise cannot be applied.

For a start, let me share what I know:

1) You need an IR filter to take IR photos. R72 (720nm) is generally recommended but NOT when Nightshot is ON (which is as good as any other cams). If you want to take using Nightshot mode, you need to get a higher filter like 900-1000nm. Does Nightshot feature get any advantage in shooting IR photos?

2) IR Flash: there are many methods to make your own IR filter and cover your existing flash so that you get illuminate your objects with IR. I can't find any commercial IR filters for flash, but Sony manufactures IR lights for Nightshot users. There are 2 models available: HVL-IRH2 and HVL-IRM. IRH2 is built for camcorders and comes with 2 modes: IR light and normal light, with coverage up to 20m. IRM is built for digicams, supports Sony batteries as well as 2xAA batteries, with coverage up to 30m. Both models do not have 'auto-exposure': there is a knob to control the intensity of the IR depending on the distance of your subjects. With IR flash, I believe Nighshot users can tryly achieve pure darkness photography. The built-in IR illuminator in the F828 is pathetically useless. I almost never use it in the dark. In fact, I use Nightshot to shoot daytime low-light situations when normal ISO800 setting is still inadequate for a fast shutter shot.

3) X-ray photography: Is this myth or fact? Years ago, this is a known 'feature' on Sony cams, but since then, Sony claims to have fixed it, yet there are people who have continued getting the results using special filters. Has anyone tried it before? Personally, I think this is not possible. If people can 'see-through' clothings based on IR logic, then anyone with appropriate IR filters, lens and film could have done it. Why then did Sony seems like the culprit for this photographic 'technique'?

Having all the above info is useless if I don't know how to use it. If there are people out there who have done it, hope to hear your experience.

pianodancer said:
Hi,

I have not seen any threads pertaining to this topic, so I would like to start it.
There was a thread about the R72 talking about IR photography with regards to the F7x7. You can try searching for it, seems to be in a WTS thread.

For all Sony owners, how are your experiences in IR photography (not just Nightshot photography)? I've searched around the net, but most of the info is very general. Since Sony Nightshot Cams react to IR photography differently, some of the advise cannot be applied.

For a start, let me share what I know:

1) You need an IR filter to take IR photos. R72 (720nm) is generally recommended but NOT when Nightshot is ON (which is as good as any other cams). If you want to take using Nightshot mode, you need to get a higher filter like 900-1000nm. Does Nightshot feature get any advantage in shooting IR photos?

Advantage would be that you would be taking ir photos of a higher spectrum. By using the R72, visible light will have more of an influence on the image.
However, with nightshot, the shutter speed is limited to 1/60, so you might need ND filters when shooting in the day.

3) X-ray photography: Is this myth or fact? Years ago, this is a known 'feature' on Sony cams, but since then, Sony claims to have fixed it, yet there are people who have continued getting the results using special filters. Has anyone tried it before? Personally, I think this is not possible. If people can 'see-through' clothings based on IR logic, then anyone with appropriate IR filters, lens and film could have done it. Why then did Sony seems like the culprit for this photographic 'technique'?

Having all the above info is useless if I don't know how to use it. If there are people out there who have done it, hope to hear your experience.
It's not X ray, it's just ir photography. The ir filter installed in cams and limits in shutter and aperture is supposed to elimiate this (overexpose pics in daylight). Of course, with a ND filter, IR filter, and in nightshot mode, this fix would be defeated.

Sony was just unlucky that the stupid media decided to make a big fuss out of it. Well, the fact that it has the first popular ir consumer video cams might have played a part in that. :)

Thanks JaGr. I've seen your posts months back, it's really a good 'free' alternative. How do you fit the 'IR filter' on your lens? Did you stick it on some old filter?

Can either stick it behind a UV filter or cut it such that it fits nicely without needing something to hold it. Just uploaded some IR photos I took in europe. I dunno if the expensive alternative makes a lot of difference never tried them.

For those looking for the 58mm Hoya R72 filter and having a difficult time. I found it in Peninsula Plaza, second floor. Can't remember the shop name. (Not the used camera shop.) They have plenty of stock there for about $55.

bernards said:
For those looking for the 58mm Hoya R72 filter and having a difficult time. I found it in Peninsula Plaza, second floor. Can't remember the shop name. (Not the used camera shop.) They have plenty of stock there for about $55.

Wah, expensive... i just asked MS Colour, they can sell me at $39, but forgot to ask what brand.

pianodancer said:
Wah, expensive... i just asked MS Colour, they can sell me at $39, but forgot to ask what brand.

No way. Unless they wanted to rip me off. I was there buying a Silk tripod last week. They also quote me 50+. And no stock, need to wait till the end of the month.

BTW They quoted me 900nm filter at more then $200. Sounds damn ex. Is that the going price?

bernards said:
No way. Unless they wanted to rip me off. I was there buying a Silk tripod last week. They also quote me 50+. And no stock, need to wait till the end of the month.

BTW They quoted me 900nm filter at more then $200. Sounds damn ex. Is that the going price?

Sometimes it's not just a simple rip-off. Different products have different price mark-ups, also depends on who is your supplier. But I believe some people can get the IR72 for around $30. That's why I didn't buy from MS Colour.

If you need it, call MS Colour before 12pm to order so that they can stock up before evening.

IMO. An almost $16 price differenc is a ripoff, for a good so cheap. Especially if everybody else can get ot at $30.

Actually I was there personally. I enquired about it and they told me there is no stock until end of the month. That was why I didn't place orders. I guess the 900nm filter they quoted me was also grossly overpriced.

I guess I won't be back there anytime soon.

U guys can try out the Hoya Pol-Fader with the Hoya R72. Ive tried it all back then and dats the best combination. :thumbsup:

Have been looking for the 58mm R72 everywhere but no stock. Any idea where to get? I have been quoted in the region of $45. Is this a reasonable price to pay for it?

holeinone said:
Have been looking for the 58mm R72 everywhere but no stock. Any idea where to get? I have been quoted in the region of $45. Is this a reasonable price to pay for it?

Did you ask MS Colour? I'm still not sure if I should get a higher IR cut-off like 900nm?

went to MS during lunch tdy. They have the R72 at $40. Bought it.

How much will the ones with higher cut-off cost?

holeinone said:

Great! Higher cut-off costs a lot more. Do you own the F828 as well. How's the photos turn out?

holeinone said:

I went there after dinner and chat with Florence. Found out from her that you are ordering the ND8 filter as well, eh? She asked how come I'm asking for the same thing, and whether we are attending the same photography class or something. I might be ordering from her too if I'm not going to Alan Photo tomorrow. Do you stay in AMK as well?

I am using the 717, though I am hoping to get the 828 one day. Sony fan lah. :bsmilie:

What a coincidence! Ya, I called up to order the ND8 this afternoon after I went Far East Plaza looking for it and none of the shops seem to carry it. This morning b4 I went to work, I tried on the R72 and found that the pics seem quite exposed even in the morning light. Thot the photos will likely be overexposed and washed out in stronger lighting later in the day. Was also reading the section of the Sony ebook on Infra red photos. They recommended a filter stack consisting of ND8 + ND4 + R72. I will try out with the ND8 + R72 to see if the photos turn out better. Will probably experiment this weekend. Quite impressed with the look of infra red photos...there is a very interesting feel abt them.

I stay Tampines but I drop by AMK quite often.

hee...I'm a F717 user too, and i'm looking to get the same filter stack of ND8 + ND4 + R72 as well :) Currently just using the poor man's IR filter with a floppy disc. Simply love the way trees turn out with their white foilage in IR and the spectacular black sky :D

holeinone said:
I am using the 717, though I am hoping to get the 828 one day. Sony fan lah. :bsmilie:

...I tried on the R72 and found that the pics seem quite exposed even in the morning light. Thot the photos will likely be overexposed and washed out in stronger lighting later in the day. Was also reading the section of the Sony ebook on Infra red photos. They recommended a filter stack consisting of ND8 + ND4 + R72.

I wasn't a Sony fan till I met F828. I was a 2-time Canon fan, and when Sony supports CF card with F828, I never regretted it since.

What I read on the eBook is that I should get ND400 (9 stops of darkness), equivalent to 3 ND8 stacked together. But as I re-read the passage, it seems to suggest that ND400 is the alternative for ND8+IR72.

Finally we got more people interested in IR photography for Sony users. This will be a start to new visual explorations! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.