Sony Infrared IR and Nightshot Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am goofing off a little at work to type this. ;)

Hi Ricleo, so there are now more people looking at the same filter combo. So you are now using the “poor man’s” IR filter? I will post some photos after I try out my filter combo this weekend, then maybe you can decide if you want to invest in them.

I was really looking forward to the 828 but I was kinda sad to see the way that people slam this cam. When I first handled it at the Launch, I thot it felt good and I loved it. Realising that no cam is perfect, it boils down to what we are all looking for in our eqpt. 828 seems to fit my bill, till I decide to splurge on a DSLR. If I hear from more satisfied users like pianodancer, I may very well take the plunge.

ND400 is probably quite hard to come by and likely very ex too. ND8 + R72 may suffice. Hope I can get some good shots with this combo. Dunno whether MS has got the ND8 for me yet, must call them later. :sweat:

holeinone said:
I am goofing off a little at work to type this. ;)

Hi Ricleo, so there are now more people looking at the same filter combo. So you are now using the “poor man’s” IR filter? I will post some photos after I try out my filter combo this weekend, then maybe you can decide if you want to invest in them.

I was really looking forward to the 828 but I was kinda sad to see the way that people slam this cam. When I first handled it at the Launch, I thot it felt good and I loved it. Realising that no cam is perfect, it boils down to what we are all looking for in our eqpt. 828 seems to fit my bill, till I decide to splurge on a DSLR. If I hear from more satisfied users like pianodancer, I may very well take the plunge.

ND400 is probably quite hard to come by and likely very ex too. ND8 + R72 may suffice. Hope I can get some good shots with this combo. Dunno whether MS has got the ND8 for me yet, must call them later. :sweat:

In my opinion, it's really a good cam. If I were given a choice all over again, I would still have chosen F828. My other contender is Konica Minolta A2 because of its pro-image features, but for stealth photography, F828 is a winner (and I love capturing moments of the unnoticed).

You should try looking for a 2nd hand F828, which I heard could be bought around $1200++++. That's a really good deal for one who appreciates the cam.

Nothing compares to DSLR. To me, that's different standpoint altogether. My opinion is, DSLR gives you all the professional-image benefits but totally eliminates the amateur-fun factors. No more shoot-in-the-dark. No more movie mode. No more tilted-angle shots. No more portability with zoom lens. No more silent shots.

After getting the F828. I wondered if I made a bad decision and was considering changing to the D70. Over time I have grown very attached to my cam. I don't think I can bear to let it go. If given the choice again, the F828 would still be the correct one. Of course the set-up below will be even better. I can't afford it though.

Sony T1
Panasonic LC-1
Nikon D70

bernards said:
After getting the F828. I wondered if I made a bad decision and was considering changing to the D70. Over time I have grown very attached to my cam. I don't think I can bear to let it go. If given the choice again, the F828 would still be the correct one. Of course the set-up below will be even better. I can't afford it though.

Sony T1
Panasonic LC-1
Nikon D70

It's definitely not a BAD decision. It's really a GOOD decision, but you can make BETTER decisions if you really buy D70. Hey, if I have $10,000, I would buy the top-end model plus a dozen lens!

So, don't discount your decision on F828. The fact that you have grown to love it shows that F828 is really addictive to use!

Sounds like U guys really love your 828. Would love to own and try it for myself someday.

As for DSLR, I hope to get a canon one. Maybe 10D? Not exactly a nikon fan. :nono:

holeinone said:
Sounds like U guys really love your 828. Would love to own and try it for myself someday.

As for DSLR, I hope to get a canon one. Maybe 10D? Not exactly a nikon fan. :nono:

YES WE DOO! We should form a "We-Luv-828" Fan Club! Maybe we can get Sony to bestow us privileges to be beta testers for F939 (ficticious model) or get discounts when it launches

I hope the 939 (if it's to be designated this way) can be a "world beater" and set new standards for digicams, just like what they did when they launched the 717.

Perhaps a Sony DSLR? yummy

Just got my ND8 from MS this afternoon. Tomorrow shall try taking my infra red pics... :)

holeinone said:
I hope the 939 (if it's to be designated this way) can be a "world beater" and set new standards for digicams, just like what they did when they launched the 717.

Perhaps a Sony DSLR? yummy

Just got my ND8 from MS this afternoon. Tomorrow shall try taking my infra red pics... :)

So did I! I bought it at Alan Photo after dinner. ND8 and IR72, plus a 3rd-party battery! Will try tomorrow morning!

I doubt Sony will go into DSLR, coz it'll be very costly to make all these lens systems, unlike the incumbents. However, it would be good if they can create a hybrid, something like screw-mounting lens like what we do with wide-angle or telephoto add-ons. So maybe we can remove the main lens and attach a WA or tele lens.

How much are the ND8 and R72 selling at AP? MS charged me $19 and $40 respectively.

It's indeed costly to launch a whole new series of lenses but knowing what Sony can do, it's not impossible. Or maybe, they can tie up with Canon and use their EF lenses? That will be great, as I would just need to get the Sony body and use my existing canon lenses. :thumbsup:

holeinone said:
How much are the ND8 and R72 selling at AP? MS charged me $19 and $40 respectively.

It's indeed costly to launch a whole new series of lenses but knowing what Sony can do, it's not impossible. Or maybe, they can tie up with Canon and use their EF lenses? That will be great, as I would just need to get the Sony body and use my existing canon lenses. :thumbsup:

But then it would defeat the purpose of prosumers without any lens system. They should retain the 828 format and put a full frame 35mm CCD to provide the highest quality image capture!!!

AP charges me same price for R72 but ND8 I paid for $16. I think I bought the last pair off them :bsmilie:

Holeinone and Pianodancer....
Pse share your IR pictures once u have them... ;p

I have taken a couple of shots with the 717 and ND8 + R72 filter combo.

Interesting, will explore more.

detail

pianodancer said:
In my opinion, it's really a good cam. If I were given a choice all over again, I would still have chosen F828. My other contender is Konica Minolta A2 because of its pro-image features, but for stealth photography, F828 is a winner (and I love capturing moments of the unnoticed).

You should try looking for a 2nd hand F828, which I heard could be bought around $1200++++. That's a really good deal for one who appreciates the cam.

Nothing compares to DSLR. To me, that's different standpoint altogether. My opinion is, DSLR gives you all the professional-image benefits but totally eliminates the amateur-fun factors. No more shoot-in-the-dark. No more movie mode. No more tilted-angle shots. No more portability with zoom lens. No more silent shots.

Ironically, the F828 is not the best solution for IR at the moment, since you're restricted to 1/30s shutter speeds in Nightshot mode, just like the V1. The current king is still the F7x7 cameras.

I only have the V1, and I'd been using a ND8 with a B+W 093 filter. The cut off is greater than the R72, so you get a darker contrast. Here's the best IR I got so far:

25717315.jpg

holeinone said:
I have taken a couple of shots with the 717 and ND8 + R72 filter combo.

Interesting, will explore more.

detail

Did you take using Sepia? How come your shots are brownish?

supperman said:
I only have the V1, and I'd been using a ND8 with a B+W 093 filter. The cut off is greater than the R72, so you get a darker contrast. Here's the best IR I got so far:
Yes B+W 093 has higher cut-off. Where did you get this? Most places do not sell any IR filter above 720nm, and also it will cost much more. Since you are using V1, I suppose your lens thread is smaller so the cost of a high-cut IR filter is considerably lower.
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/bw093.html

If given a choice, I would also want to get a cut-off above 900nm (B+W 093 cut-off is 830nm). But it's too expensive.

pianodancer said:
Did you take using Sepia? How come your shots are brownish?

I use the normal mode in nightshot. I dunno why it appears more brownish than yours when we are using the same filter combo. Anyone can enlighten me?

The pic taken using an IR filter with a higher cut-off is cool, contrast is much better. Would definitely wanna try them one of these days.

I have taken more pics. Will upload them shortly.

holeinone said:
I use the normal mode in nightshot. I dunno why it appears more brownish than yours when we are using the same filter combo. Anyone can enlighten me?

The pic taken using an IR filter with a higher cut-off is cool, contrast is much better. Would definitely wanna try them one of these days.

More shots uploaded here:

http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fastswing2003/album?.dir=/25e9&.src=ph

holeinone said:

More shots uploaded here:
http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fastswing2003/album?.dir=/25e9&.src=ph

Going to watch Red :devil: beat Blackburn. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.