Sony A7 II

those with A7 II, go do a test using range longer than 55mm . magnify and see u notice the screen seems to jelly . the longer range will be more obvious.

tested FE55, Rokinon 85 and Pentax 135. all exhibit the same thing with 135 more obvious

Last edited:
those with A7 II, go do a test using range longer than 55mm . magnify and see u notice the screen seems to jelly . the longer range will be more obvious.

tested FE55, Rokinon 85 and Pentax 135. all exhibit the same thing with 135 more obvious

Jelly as in the frame rates are suffering? or wavering?

That comes from degradation of image quality to magnify the area selected. It's basically digital zoom

Nice short review by a bro. Sums up my thoughts too.

http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/quickie-review-sony-a7ii/

The short version recommendation: If you have A7, then I think upgrading is really not necessary unless you really need the 5 axis stabilisation system. I will still ask the same question with any IS system. Would having a very slow shutter speed help you in any way? Would having a very slow shutter speed help when you have a relatively fast subject matter in front of you? Would a tripod be a better solution? Would a better / faster lens be better so you can use faster shutter speed instead of relying on Image Stabilisation? If the answer is no, then the A7 still have some life for most uses.

We want more FE lens & competitive pricings too!

That comes from degradation of image quality to magnify the area selected. It's basically digital zoom

Errz was comparing to his original a7 and noted this with the a7ii.

Degradation of IQ from digital zoom is not does not mean the view will wobble ard like jelly.

Was at Sony nex to try out the test unit. 70-200mm lens is on the test unit for u to try out the ibis.

Wasn't too keen so requested to try out on the dark setup for the 7s & switched to 35mm. Only using 1 hand to shoot to test out the ibis.

Below is my quick humble opinion since I only tested it for 10mins.

Oh mine, the grip is almost perfect with the c1 & c2 buttons nicely located. Feels like its tailor made for my hands! My only disgust is the movie button location.

1st few w partial lights, looking fine as ibis keeps the image sharp eventhough shutter speed is going below 1/20 & slower as I adjust the iso down. Not bad.

Next, is the extreme darkness test with very little or no light. Hmmm, with the iso 6400 (max I would push for a7 sensor) the shutter speed goes to 0.4 to 1s. This is where its loses out to the low light beast a7s. Images starts to be blurry..bare in mind I am using 1 hand, so in real world if we r using 2 hands it should be better. However, do note in real world the night scenery will look sharp but moving objects will be blurr.

Happy w the darkness test, I put on the 70-200mm for a few quick shots. AF seems faster & at 200mm zoom ibis does helps. IQ is good.

Now the question...to upgrade to a7ii or a7s (difference of 500+ as 7s price coming down) since I already using a7.

Between a7 & a7ii, mainly its the ibis diff. I am happy w a7 w/o ibis & have seen countless bro posting photos from a7, 7r looking super sharp. IMHO ibis is good to have but not a necessity.

As for a7s, it can do what no other cam can do for now. This makes my choice easy..buy a7s.

Don't get me wrong a7ii is very good cam but its boils down to what you want..for bros that are very very tight on budget a7 is a very good bargain right now, extra $ save can buy a fast & sharp lens like a 2nd hand FE55mm.
thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Nice short review by a bro. Sums up my thoughts too.

http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/quickie-review-sony-a7ii/

The short version recommendation: If you have A7, then I think upgrading is really not necessary unless you really need the 5 axis stabilisation system. I will still ask the same question with any IS system. Would having a very slow shutter speed help you in any way? Would having a very slow shutter speed help when you have a relatively fast subject matter in front of you? Would a tripod be a better solution? Would a better / faster lens be better so you can use faster shutter speed instead of relying on Image Stabilisation? If the answer is no, then the A7 still have some life for most uses.
I think as long as native lens or legacy prime are used for still, A7 is more than good enough, costing a lot less than the A7ii.

A7s is a different class act altogether. The high ISO is just amazing.

The one cam, I feel, will benefit from the 5-axis stablizer the most is the A7r. Anyway, I am very impressed that Sony managed to fit the 5-axis stablizer into such a small body with a full frame sensor.

I think as long as native lens or legacy prime are used for still, A7 is more than good enough, costing a lot less than the A7ii.

A7s is a different class act altogether. The high ISO is just amazing.

The one cam, I feel, will benefit from the 5-axis stablizer the most is the A7r. Anyway, I am very impressed that Sony managed to fit the 5-axis stablizer into such a small body with a full frame sensor.

Yes. U r right. A7r will benfit the most from ibis. Super mega pixel w steady shots..what a combo. If add the silent shutter plus a6000 AF, it will be a killer for dslr.

Hmmmm, maybe this is the new a9 we are all dreaming for. Right now I just hope to enjoy my new a7s (just bot it, hehe).

Yes. U r right. A7r will benfit the most from ibis. Super mega pixel w steady shots..what a combo. If add the silent shutter plus a6000 AF, it will be a killer for dslr.

Hmmmm, maybe this is the new a9 we are all dreaming for. Right now I just hope to enjoy my new a7s (just bot it, hehe).

Yeah, that might be A9. With all the bells and whistles, expect the price to be high too.

Think Sony is smart....like some of you said, A9 will probably has the AF speed of A6000 (or close to it), higher Megapixel like A7R and maybe 80% of A7s low light performance :)

Think Sony is smart....like some of you said, A9 will probably has the AF speed of A6000 (or close to it), higher Megapixel like A7R and maybe 80% of A7s low light performance :)

High MP+fast AF+ibis is my expectation.. If they have the technology to give it 80‰ 7S low light performance i think they wait until A9mk2

[video=youtube;UTkr_L2nIlg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTkr_L2nIlg[/video]

Sony has loaned me a production a7II for a upcoming photo shoot and in testing out the camera I found that it has a huge buffer. If you shoot in jpg fine and use a fast SD card like Sony's new high speed SDXC memory cards you will not fill the buffer to the limit and can shoot continuously at 5 frames per sec. all day. Raw files are different you can shoot up to 25ish images but still a respectable amount. Another interesting fact is the camera does not have a high speed mode meaning that you can shoot at 5 fps at what ever f-stop you want unlike some cameras where shooting at high speed means you shoot at the maximum lens opening. 5 fps is not extremely fast like 12 or 8 but with the fact that you can keep shooting for a long duration of images I feel its a big leap for the a7 class of mirrorless cameras.

pretty awesome

Errz was comparing to his original a7 and noted this with the a7ii.

Degradation of IQ from digital zoom is not does not mean the view will wobble ard like jelly.

i see. thanks for the information.

so as a comparison, which one was better or worse? if only the A7II exhibits this, it could be that the processor isn't fast enough to keep up with the image stabilization module's shifting

i see. thanks for the information.

so as a comparison, which one was better or worse? if only the A7II exhibits this, it could be that the processor isn't fast enough to keep up with the image stabilization module's shifting

will test out when i meet errz keke.... my guess is that IBIS is activated at halfpress of the shutter.... so it is probably not active during focus magnification, which results in the extra wobble from the A7II sensor that is not on a fixed body frame like the original A7/r/s.

if there was a setting to keep ibis on during focus magnification, this probably wouldnt be there