some image problem taken with D70 kit len

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonsiao

Sep 2, 2004
singapore
www.weddingdairy.blogspot.com
dear fellow Clubsnappers,
i encountered some problems when i took some photos with the kit len.
My len hood was off but why do i get 2 dark patches on the top left and right corner of the photo? someone please help...thanks :bsmilie:

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/3363/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

DateTimeOriginal : 2004:10:24 17:09:46
DateTimeDigitized : 2004:10:24 17:09:46
ComponentConfiguration : YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel : 1/1 (bit/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
MaxApertureValue : F3.5
MeteringMode : Division
LightSource : Unidentified
Flash : Not fired
FocalLength : 18.00(mm)

That is light fall-off. This lens will have some light fall-off around the corners when shot wide open at certain focal lengths (mainly the wide end at 18mm). Try shooting stopped down a little at f/4.5 or f/5.6.

gooseberry said:
That is light fall-off. This lens will have some light fall-off around the corners when shot wide open at certain focal lengths (mainly the wide end at 18mm). Try shooting stopped down a little at f/4.5 or f/5.6.

thanks..will try that..hope this help..been scratching head whole of last night...hehe :bsmilie:

Don't think it is light fall off. It is too dark to be light fall off.
If you are using any filter, remove them to check. It looks like vignetting to me. I have the kit lens with a UV filter but never have such problem, unless your filter is really thick.

nikonsiao said:
thanks..will try that..hope this help..been scratching head whole of last night...hehe :bsmilie:

nikonsiao said:
dear fellow Clubsnappers,
i encountered some problems when i took some photos with the kit len.
My len hood was off but why do i get 2 dark patches on the top left and right corner of the photo? someone please help...thanks :bsmilie:

It sounds like a problem I had but not with my D70. It happened to me with one of my wide angle lens years ago. I suspect you had on at least one other filter on your lens. If you do buy a number of filters like I use to do you will notice certain brands sell filters in varying THICKNESS. Thickness not as in the glass use to make the filter but the screw-on filter ring. You rarely have this problem with lens that is 35mm or more. But I had this problem with my 24mm and 20mm...when you fully open up the apeture setting. In most cases..you migth have forgotten you had a filter on your lens and just place another one over it :) heheh as your D70 does not have a 100% viewfinder range..you just did not notice that till it was too late.

AS I sometime need to shoot fully opened I had to opt for purchasing those super thin ring filter or I would use the cokin filter system and alway place a bigger adapter ring on my wide lens. If it was 62mm I would have a filter ring adapter like 66mm to 72mm just in case I had to open the apecture full to get enough light. I use to buy Hoya filters with the thinner rings. I love B+W but they did not carry thin rings back then.

A work around idea before I had all that thin filter..etc I use to place a bigger ring size filter over my lens which I hold in place with Blue Tack heh...works like a charm :)

Oops... hehe, just looked at the picture. Yep, not light fall-off, does look very much like vignetting from a filter. Serves me right for surfing without images and making assumptions based on settings. ;p

wah 1.5x APS crop still can get vignetting? Guess we learn new stuffs everyday... ;)

Dennis said:
Don't think it is light fall off. It is too dark to be light fall off.
If you are using any filter, remove them to check. It looks like vignetting to me. I have the kit lens with a UV filter but never have such problem, unless your filter is really thick.

Gee..thanks..time to buy thinner filter....Hoya super HMC...is there anymore thinner filter????sigh..have to spend money again...was wondering why this only affect some of my pics......or is it only at 18mm then i get this problem.... :sweatsm:

sammy888 said:
It sounds like a problem I had but not with my D70. It happened to me with one of my wide angle lens years ago. I suspect you had on at least one other filter on your lens. If you do buy a number of filters like I use to do you will notice certain brands sell filters in varying THICKNESS. Thickness not as in the glass use to make the filter but the screw-on filter ring. You rarely have this problem with lens that is 35mm or more. But I had this problem with my 24mm and 20mm...when you fully open up the apeture setting. In most cases..you migth have forgotten you had a filter on your lens and just place another one over it :) heheh as your D70 does not have a 100% viewfinder range..you just did not notice that till it was too late.

AS I sometime need to shoot fully opened I had to opt for purchasing those super thin ring filter or I would use the cokin filter system and alway place a bigger adapter ring on my wide lens. If it was 62mm I would have a filter ring adapter like 66mm to 72mm just in case I had to open the apecture full to get enough light. I use to buy Hoya filters with the thinner rings. I love B+W but they did not carry thin rings back then.

A work around idea before I had all that thin filter..etc I use to place a bigger ring size filter over my lens which I hold in place with Blue Tack heh...works like a charm :)
thanks for yr time.. :bsmilie:

nikonsiao said:
Gee..thanks..time to buy thinner filter....Hoya super HMC...is there anymore thinner filter????sigh..have to spend money again...was wondering why this only affect some of my pics......or is it only at 18mm then i get this problem.... :sweatsm:

You're using a Hoya HMC Super UV filter ? Hmmm... I'm using the same on my kit lens and have never had any vignetting on any focal length (even at 18mm). Check to make sure that the filter is on properly.

gooseberry said:
You're using a Hoya HMC Super UV filter ? Hmmm... I'm using the same on my kit lens and have never had any vignetting on any focal length (even at 18mm). Check to make sure that the filter is on properly.
ah yah...i said i have to buy..now using normal filter....super HMC expensive...

nikonsiao said:

Hi Nikonsiao,

Try Heliopan. It's very good and very,very thin. It's made in Germany. It has a UV filter with the thread size of the kit lens (18-70 DX). The slim filters are only 4mm thick.

http://www.photofilter.com/heli.htm#Heliopan UV

(Note: I am not in any way related to the site the link points to)

cheers,
bcoolboy

No but comparing it with one build for FF it is more likely. Of cause cropping it will allow you to get out of it but that is not how the problem should be solved. BTW if you are not stacking more than 1 filter a normal UV should not give vignetting like what you have. If you consider slim filter remember some of them do not have front thread and lens cap may also not fit. I know Hoya Pro1 slim does have a front thread but not the B&W ones. Others I am not sure.

nikonsiao said:
DX lenses have this problem....?will cropping the final pic before printing help?

Normally only occurs at the wide side. Once you zoom in it will be gone as you are effectively looking at a narrower angle.

nikonsiao said:

Dear Fellow clubsnappers,
thanks for all your help, i think i know what the problem was... i took the photo with a hoya polarising filter with scale... the extra thickness on this filter could have given that undesire effect. thanks for all the time spent in explaining to me and those who find this thread useful as we are always on our continuous track to shooting better photos.....cheers... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.