Very noisy pictures from my A700

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannfai

Nov 20, 2007
Hi Bros,

Just came back from a trip in Paris and took some hand held night shots. I got a couple of pictures with extremely 'noisy' dark skies.

I've uploaded one such picture here (http://www.mediafire.com/?gtyn1tg0ymy). Download the full picture. You will see that the dark sky is dotted with lots of white dots. I can guarantee you that they are not stars.

The lens I used is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

The EXIF is as follows:

ImageDescription - SONY DSC
Make - SONY
Model - DSLR-A700
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - DSLR-A700 v03
DateTime - 2008:03:28 04:46:21
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 396
ExposureTime - 1/30 seconds
FNumber - 2.80
ExposureProgram - Shutter priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2008:03:28 04:46:21
DateTimeDigitized - 2008:03:28 04:46:21
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 8 (bits/pixel)
BrightnessValue - -1.63
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 2.83
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 50.00 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4272
ExifImageHeight - 2848
InteroperabilityOffset - 25428
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 75 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

I need some advice. Is there something wrong with my settings?

Thank you,
<mann fai>

Wah, i thought the noise looks pretty bad for an ISO800 and 1/30sec exposure on a A700...

I just experimented with my own camera with similar settings... :)

The Noisy Picture is most likely to have been caused by the DRO...

If you didn't turn the DRO on, the dark area won't be so noisy, the DRO will brighten the dark area, the noise is a side effect, so better shoot below ISO 400. If you shoot RAW, you can do a conversion to compare.

Otherwise you can use noise reduction software plus photoshop selectively, that shall give quite a good image.

Here's a Picture from my test, I've sampled the darkest spot in the sky for the DRO Test shots.

ISO800, F2.8, 1/30

DRO_Noise.jpg

Make sure DRO is off or it will try to boost the sky area.

DRO really increases a lot of noise. For me, I would only use DRO in ISO100 or ISO200 (DRO +2 max)

DRO really increases a lot of noise. For me, I would only use DRO in ISO100 or ISO200 (DRO +2 max)

Hi bros,

Thank you for all your help. My DRO setting is +3. I'll try to turn it off for my future night scenes at high ISOs.

i only use DRO for those daytime situations where i know i need DRO to help "HDR" the photos a bit lol. otherwise it's permanently on "off"

when u use high ISO, pls shut down DR:devil:

when u use high ISO, pls shut down DR:devil:

I went to JBP recently and tested the DRO in the Owl exhibit. A700 + KM 50 F1.7 + 2x TC, handheld.

Both pics used ISO1600 1/6sec exposure, F3.5. Taken one after another.No Flash.

DRO ON (Lvl 5)

DROON.jpg

DRO OFF

DROOFF.jpg

DRO should definitely be Off for Night/Dark area shoots. Anyway, the image looks well lit when it's not. The ISO 1600 performance blew me away...........

Woah! What noise?!;)

thansk boombox.

adding new knowledge ^^

You're welcome bro... :)

Like to add, that the better noise performance and the retaining of details in High ISO of the a700 is definitely prompting me to shoot with High ISO at many places. :thumbsup:

I went to JBP recently and tested the DRO in the Owl exhibit. A700 + KM 50 F1.7 + 2x TC, handheld.

Both pics used ISO1600 1/6sec exposure, F3.5. Taken one after another.No Flash.

DRO ON (Lvl 5)

DROON.jpg

DRO OFF

DROOFF.jpg

DRO should definitely be Off for Night/Dark area shoots. Anyway, the image looks well lit when it's not. The ISO 1600 performance blew me away...........
Tks for sharing. Just curious - what noise reductions settings?

iSO 800 should not have that much noise without DRO. So like what majority mentioned, turn off the DRO.

Shoot a lot of ISO1600 and ISO3200 indoor at f2 1/125sec with great results... The thing is, if you are shooting high ISO, try to shoot pretty much "spot" on with the exposure or maybe 1/3 stop over so you don't get the noise that much. Try shoot in RAW instead.

If you do a lot of B&W images, I think you will learn to appreciate those noise at hi ISO... otherwise, the image looks so clean and sharp, it looks unnatural.

All the best.

Regards,

Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.