Singaporeans slammed for being rude in Australian newspaper!

btw, i'm not implying that ALL kids are conditioned this way...

This is a polically correct statement, we learnt along the way. :bsmilie:

I'm just glad that unlike many other countries, there's no one on the streets now burning flags & chanting...

I'm just glad that unlike many other countries, there's no one on the streets now burning flags & chanting...

you be the leader, I will gladly follow. :bsmilie:

Haha... you're funny!

Yah, it feels good doesn't it? Everybody's so relaxed. May feel faked after a while but who cares. At least, you feel nice about it.

Yes, it's a culture shock. Cos it's so basic a thing that anyone from a civilized 1st world country will wonder, HUH? How come Singaporeans behave like that?

Sometimes, I got up a cab, I told the cab driver my destination, giving instructions on how to get there, but he kept quiet thruout right up to paying him the cab fare. But still, I was wondering, Damn, does he understand what I'm saying? Of course he did, else I wouldn't get where I wanted to go. That's another one of the rudest thing one can expect from a cab driver. It's these basic things as I said.... Shocking... Or should I say, F***ing shocking. :bsmilie:

I think it is too shallow to label people from other cultures as simply "rude", just becos they do not follow a particular set of behaviour that you are accustomed to. :nono:

It's just a cultural thing that you have to learn from whenever you go to other countries.

all these acts of aggression are politically motivated... nothing to do with being rude or gracious. yes, i do agree that the security factor in SG is very good... no doubt about it.

but i'm still quite perplexed with our level of graciousness. even the mafia is gracious to their own people. but if they want to kill you... they will f***ing kill you :bsmilie:

I hope that those know "graciousness" will not only show it on the outside, but inside as well. :angel:

Faking an outward appearance is shallow at the very best. :devil:

Words spoken with condescending attitude is the rudest thing I can ever think of. An animal can learn tricks or mimic words, but do they really understand the lessons learned? Think about it.

Last edited:
My personal checklist of rude definition (12x):

1. Talking loudly on the phone;

2. Can't wait to bash into any kind of entrances without letting others come out of it first - lifts, buses, trains, toilets;

3. Occupy the entire path with friends by walking in a row without giving way to others;

4. Honking your car in the night unnecessarily;

5. Have the loudest ring tone in town;

6. Gathering on walkways and void decks to drink and talk loudly;

7. Cannot share any kind of opinions without winning;

8. Giving your enemies or opponents names behind their back or anonymously online instead of confronting the issues face to face like a gentleman (it's actually cowardice disguised as rudeness)

9. Displaying a superlative ego, caused by inferiority complex or narcissist syndrome, which distinctively comes with the talking you down approach even when communicating with your equals or superiors;

10. Enjoying everything that's negative (sadism) that befell onto others. eg. unnecessary or uncalled for criticisms, celebrating at others' sorrow or loss, putting the last straw on the camel and fanning the fire, etc.;

11. Not paying attention on the road while driving eg. chatting up a new date in the car while on the highway, SMS, emotionally engaged on the phone with the car corresponding to the mood;

12. Not respecting personal space.

Feel free to add on to the list. :)

Last edited:
Racist Rude; not saying we are not but i would say we are more of Ungraceful and it is not our Educational system which is the cause as we only spend avg of 8hrs a day in school and the rest with our families when we are young.

I think it is all down to what we are being taught of, implanted, brainwashed snice the day when we are aware of what is goin on around us our surrounding. And the typical mindset of What do i gain from it? Why must i be the one to do it why not you? It is all about I ME Mine etc.... mentallity, maybe will it be better if we change it to You Yours first.

From what i notice is on the whole that we are becoming more graceful but we still have rooms for improvement. Gracefulness we need to use more of it while / whenever we can.

Just like the elderly man i met a few days ago, as he was coming out of the lift he hold the lift for me even though i was only at the first few steps of the flight of stairs, (normally no ones will hold) he just stand there and press the button smiled at me while waiting for me (and could tell from his expression is like: "slowly la.. i will hold for u the lift") n i can see that his family members is all going down while he just wait n hold the lift for me to get in then he stop holding the button!:embrass: Normally i sledom take the lift as i was on the lower floors but his action just made me run up the stairs and into the lift cos didn't want him to hold too long n let his family wait for him.:sweatsm:

As for trains, i do see more people giving up their seats although some still don't compared to the past is like much much better so i do think our so call 'advertisment' or campaign still works as we are still trying to be a more better and gracious society.

:bsmilie:

I think it is too shallow to label people from other cultures as simply "rude", just becos they do not follow a particular set of behaviour that you are accustomed to. :nono:

It's just a cultural thing that you have to learn from whenever you go to other countries.

Huh... I don't think this kind of behaviour is culturally exclusive. Certain basic courtesy is common across all cultures. If it cannot be achieved at all, then I don't know what can be called rude.

How many times did you hold a lift for anyone and Nobody even say a single Thank you. Some can even tell you which floor. This really irritates me a lot. I feel many Singapore don't realise how important it is to show your appreciation when needed. Just taking things for granted. There are a couple of times I even spoke a loud in the lift that "nobody say a single Thank you when you gold the lift fot them". It was dead silent I tell you....

"The only reason the churches here are packed to the rafters is because people attend in order to network."ok... this i don't know how much truth there are to the above statement. anybody care to rebutt this?
no doubt about this.
In Mark 2:15 While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners sat with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many who followed him.
16 Some scribes who were Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors and said to his disciples, "Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
17 Jesus heard this and said to them (that), "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."

So which one are you?:dunno:

Stupid generalisation attack and op-ed piece to fill newspaper pages and fulfill racial stereotypes. Singaporeans, like every population in the world, have a mixture of polite and impolite.

Although it would be nice if the drivers would indicate occasionally :)

the moment you indicate you will see the car accelerate faster instead of giving way. :bsmilie:

I'm also guilty:embrass: and what jopel commented it's true

Speaking of lift. How many times did you see an individual got squeezed by the elevator door because the idiot who went in first didn't hold the door.
How about all the idiots & goondu's standing at the pedestrian light all waiting for just 1 person to press the button???

I have lived in Melb for 7 years before & yes sometimes they are slightly more courteous to you only when you are a customer walking into their shop or most behave extremely well on the Freeway b'cos there are speed & red lights cam practically every junction & corners but other than that leaves nothing much to comment on. I hv had my fair share of kena spitted at, throw cans, bottles at & what have you.

Huh... I don't think this kind of behaviour is culturally exclusive. Certain basic courtesy is common across all cultures. If it cannot be achieved at all, then I don't know what can be called rude.

So, there is a rule to say cab drivers has to talk to passengers? That's weird. :think: If you find what you said is correct, why did you delete the post I quoted from you?

What basic courtesy is common across all cultures (like in US, Britain, China, India,....)? Maybe, you can create a list.

Last edited:
So, there is a rule to say cab drivers has to talk to passengers? That's weird. :think: If you find what you said is correct, why did you delete the post I quoted from you?

What basic courtesy is common across all cultures (like in US, Britain, China, India,....)? Maybe, you can create a list.

Don't be anal about minor things!

The post had been deleted even before you replied. Why I deleted it? I think I've contributed enough and don't want to dwell on this topic any more. That's why I changed my mind. I know in CS there will be people like you who will quote things out of context and then the whole issue will snowball to something stupid.

True enough. I didn't expect you to reply to it. Since you decided to take it up, that's why I replied again. If I am so afraid of what I've said, I won't even bother replying what you wrote.

Everything must have rules? Oh, ok. So it's all right to rush into trains despite letting others out first? Are you one of those buggers who do it? Cos there are no specific rules. Your argument would be: Why should you let them out first? How do you define rudeness then? Why don't you pick on the numerous other posts here of people who commented Rudeness is talking loudly on phones, not giving way on the roads, etc. So by your definition, since there are no rules to all these, those actions are not rude? If you have guts, quote them, and pick on them. Don't just pick on me.

You're exactly the kind of person I mentioned that must be educated and programmed thru textbooks. else dunno how to behave.

If you read my post carefully, I'm not even asking for the cab driver to small talk with me. I'm not even asking him to greet me with a Hello or whatever, though that's expected for people in the service industry. Ok granted, in Singapore, some people don't like to talk much. But for goodness sake, a simple nod or OK will kill?

Next time someone asks you a question or talks to you, maybe it's your father or mother, don't acknowledge and you tell me if it's rude or not?

Wow, if you got to ask me what is basic courtesy, I think you look really bad.

Ok man, you can reply to this post of mine all you want. Cos I won't be in it any more. It's friday!

Last edited:
Don't be anal about minor things!

The post was deleted even before you replied. Why I deleted it? I think I've contributed enough and don't want to dwell on this topic any more. I know in CS there will be people like you who will quote things out of context and then the whole issue will snowball to something stupid.

True enough. I didn't expect you to reply to it that's why I replied again. If I am so afraid of what I've said, I won't even bother replying what you wrote.

Everything must have rules? Oh, ok. So it's all right to rush into trains despite letting others out first? Cos there are no specific rules. How do you define rude then? Why don't you pick on the numerous other posts here of people who commented Rudeness is talking loudly on phones, giving way on the roads, etc. Since when are there rules to all these? If you have guts, quote them, and pick on them. Don't just pick on me.

You're exactly the kind of person I mentioned that must be educated and programmed thru textbooks. else dunno how to behave.

If you read my post carefully, I'm not even asking for the cab driver to small talk with me. I'm not even asking him to greet me with a Hello or whatever, though that's expected for people in the service industry. Ok granted, in Singapore, some people don't like to talk much. But for goodness sake, a simple nod or OK will kill?

Next time someone asks you a question or talks to you, maybe it's your father or mother, don't acknowledge and you tell me if it's rude or not?

Wow, if you got to ask me what is basic courtesy, I think you look really bad.

Ok man, you can reply to this post of mine all you want. Cos I won't be in it any more. It's friday!

Wow, isn't this rude? Thank you for showing me what is "gracefulness". :bsmilie:

Thank you. Thank you.. Thank you. :sweat:

;

btw, I don't think rudeness is the outcome of our education system. Psychologically, I think it is a by-product of these people literally or sub-conciousnessly felt that they are being suppressed in their home, workplace, school, etc.

it is not, i have seen rude students at primary 1.

this is a result of poor upbringing, and then the parents will not teach the kid, so he/she grows up thinking that being rude is perfectly fine.

of course this doesn't happen all the time, sometimes parents will try their best but the kid will still fall in with bad company etc.

there are so many factors that might contribute to this that it's really hard to say what causes rudeness or any manifestation of it.

Just like you I got a cultural shock when I was in Perth. They give way, they hold the door, they said "See you later" which I tot the salegirl was interested with me and wanna meet up later. Stupidly I waited. :bsmilie:

:sweat::sweat::sweat: