Singaporeans slammed for being rude in Australian newspaper!

there will always be polite and rude people everywhere in the world.
us sporeans shouldn't worry about what the white man says.... especially one who can't even write a proper news article...

Is Singapore a gracious society? I think the answer is simple. We still have a long way to go, especially comparing ourselves with Taiwan, Thailand and Japan.

From my personal experience, I cant agree more. I have stayed in these countries for a period of time and on the whole they are really more 友善 and 熱情. Also when most of my friends from these countries visit me in SG, their first reaction is that why is our customer service so bad and so many rude people in the streets. Of course there are rude and friendly people everywhere but I get less frustrated over there.

With regards to the parliament fighting in Taiwan, my taiwanese friend explained to me that it is on purpose and the main reason of doing so is to get the attention of the public. Otherwise there will be no publicity and no one will bother. I think it make some sense to me, our parliament talks are so boring that the ministers themselves fall asleep. lol

i
about the church thing... i don't blame people for going to church to pray and meet people. but if they go to church with the main intend to network and increase their friends count... then that's not very nice. it's like they are treating the house of God as a social club. and this behaviour is also not very gracious. it comes back to the point of fortifying one's own well-being too.

this happen everywhere. Sad but true.

when you put it like that, none of the first world countries have levels of graciousness on par with development. :bsmilie:

yesterday i had a customer service officer hang up on me after repeated attempts to send emails to the company with 3 different email addresses. i asked him to hold on the line, as i was sending an email from a 4th email address. he said "look, i have other calls to attend to", then i heard a click. :bsmilie:

this is not the first time i am experiencing such appalling standards of service in london.. which is globally known to be in a first world country.

I think you have mistaken what I have experience on an everyday basis with something you experience daily for work.

:)

i think some people are not happy cos it's a foreigner who commented about Singaporeans. But deep down, we know he's not lying or making a big fuss. Whatever he said is true in general.

He's probably fed up that's why he used the F word, but it's the reporter's fault for not being politically correct.

Of course, everything works on a case of probability. I've gotten not so courteous treatment overseas too. But we are talking about on a general level. There are some very basic things which Singaporeans are not able to do. Like giving way to others and saying Sorry, Excuse me, Thank you.

Some point out that there are other worse case scenarios of racism, etc overseas. But those are particular or unique incidents. In comparison, what we're talking about here is the everyday life in Singapore.

Just some typical egs (actually, I don't even have to state them cos everyone here will have experienced them):

Singaporeans don't say Hello or Thank you enough. Of course, it's optional. But it simply makes our day doesn't it? And especially in a service related industry, that's the bare minimum. Some of our service-related guys, even after undergoing training, fare so badly in this area.

And on MRT trains/buses, what do the typical Singaporeans do when they need to cross over? Very few will say "Excuse me". Even those who do, it's usually a curt and broken English "SCUZE". They will rub their bodies or things they are carrying against yours as if to indicate to you they have to be given way.

And please do this observation if you haven't. As the bus approaches the bus stop and has not stopped, you will notice people from the back start moving forward. And some of them are elderly, trying to balance hard on the moving bus. I'm thinking, why do this??? By the time the bus has stopped, if you're sitting near to the door, you will have to wait (or like me, bo chap on the difficult guys, just push my way out) till everyone at the back has gone out.

Educated school kids and parents rush to doors of MRT trains even before letting others alight.

Blame it on our educational system here perhaps. These things are not taught in textbooks so our students are not programmed to behave graciously. They only know how to memorize things and mug for exams to score A's, which to our elitist society, is more crucial to survive in our hectic, crazy society here.

i think some people are not happy cos it's a foreigner who commented about Singaporeans. But deep down, we know he's not lying or making a big fuss. Whatever he said is true in general.

He's probably fed up that's why he used the F word, but it's the reporter's fault for not being politically correct.

Of course, everything works on a case of probability. I've gotten not so courteous treatment overseas too. But we are talking about on a general level. There are some very basic things which Singaporeans are not able to do. Like giving way to others and saying Sorry, Excuse me, Thank you.

Some point out that there are other worse case scenarios of racism, etc overseas. But those are particular or unique incidents. In comparison, what we're talking about here is the everyday life in Singapore.

Just some typical egs (actually, I don't even have to state them cos everyone here will have experienced them):

Singaporeans don't say Hello or Thank you enough. Of course, it's optional. But it simply makes our day doesn't it? And especially in a service related industry, that's the bare minimum. Some of our service-related guys, even after undergoing training, fare so badly in this area.

And on MRT trains/buses, what do the typical Singaporeans do when they need to cross over? Very few will say "Excuse me". Even those who do, it's usually a curt and broken English "SCUZE". They will rub their bodies or things they are carrying against yours as if to indicate to you they have to be given way.

And please do this observation if you haven't. As the bus approaches the bus stop and has not stopped, you will notice people from the back start moving forward. And some of them are elderly, trying to balance hard on the moving bus. I'm thinking, why do this??? By the time the bus has stopped, if you're sitting near to the door, you will have to wait (or like me, bo chap on the difficult guys, just push my way out) till everyone at the back has gone out.

Educated school kids and parents rush to doors of MRT trains even before letting others alight.

Blame it on our educational system here perhaps. These things are not taught in textbooks so our students are not programmed to behave graciously. They only know how to memorize things and mug for exams to score A's, which to our elitist society, is more crucial to survive in our hectic, crazy society here.

I do wave and smile as I drive pass group of people but my wife said I'm nut.
I did hold the lift for the elderly to go in first but never occurred to me that I would be left outside waiting for another lift.
I did let my seat for a pregnant lady but she give me an indifferent look and never take up the offer. While the rest of the passengers mgiht think that I am up to something.

Truth hurt and come with a price tag :bsmilie:.

Yes we Singaporean are rude BUT WE ARE NOT RACIST like some other countries. Which is worse? you tell me.

I do wave and smile as I drive pass group of people but my wife said I'm nut.
I did hold the lift for the elderly to go in first but never occurred to me that I would be left outside waiting for another lift.
I did let my seat for a pregnant lady but she give me an indifferent look and never take up the offer. While the rest of the passengers mgiht think that I am up to something.

Truth hurt and come with a price tag :bsmilie:.

That's Singapore for you. :)

When I was in America, I've got cars slowing down for me from a distance even though it's their right of way. In Singapore, a guy showed me a vulgar hand gesture at a zebra crossing cos I seemed to have caused him to jam brake his car by wanting crossing the road! :)

When I was in the UK, an elderly lady in front of me opened the door for me to walk thru even though I'm decades younger than her. I was so touched I was like, Oh, you don't have to do this for me! In Singapore, people try to squeeze quickly thru a closing door.

Because,
"They are the rudest f---ing people. They don't feel that anyone else exists outside this tiny island."
:bsmilie:

There's nothing more to say; A total condemnation. :bigeyes: We are the worst creatures existing on this planet. And this comes from a civic mind. :think:

Last edited:
Blame it on our educational system here perhaps.

btw, I don't think ruleness is the outcome of our education system. Psychologically, I think it is a by-product of these people literally or sub-conciousnessly felt that they are being suppressed in their home, workplace, school, etc.

Because, :bsmilie:

There's nothing more to say; A total condemnation. :bigeyes: We are the worst creatures existing on this planet. And this comes from a civic mind. :think:

for awhile i tot the "F" language is a very cool lingo here, it is the in-langague. Well, look like it is not. :bsmilie:

Yes we Singaporean are rude BUT WE ARE NOT RACIST like some other countries. Which is worse? you tell me.

are you sure we are not racist?
Some countries express their rascism openly while some other don't. ;)

no we are not racist but just can't stand those china-born citizens holding the table-tennis world cup. :bsmilie:

btw, I don't think ruleness is the outcome of our education system. Psychologically, I think it is a by-product of these people literally or sub-conciousnessly felt that they are being suppressed in their home, workplace, school, etc.

I mentioned educational system cos it seems we Singaporeans need to be taught formally how to do things before we can do it. Which was what the Australian report rightly pointed out.

Remember those campaigns? Since the early 80's, we've got courtesy campaigns (remember the yellow smiley face and the cute orange lion?), and campaigns not to spit indiscriminately! And we used to have campaigns to flush the toilets after use!

Till today, decades later, courtesy campaigns are still ongoing with Phua Chu Kang helping out but haha, with dismal results.

Yes, it could be due to suppression also. Being rude is a way of expressing our inner frustrations at the restricted lifestyle in Singapore where freedom of speech and rights is tightly controlled. It's also the crazy way of life here -- Everything has to be done quickly, regardless of considering the needs of others, or you will lose out, aka the kiasu mentality.

have to agree with this. i know of people here who don't really like the minority races. some don't even like the ang mohs :bsmilie:

from young... we are conditioned and taught to strive for superiority over others. from young, kids have loss their childhood innocence... everything to them is a form of competition among other kids. so, when you are conditioned to compete and to win... graciousness never cross their mind.

btw, i'm not implying that ALL kids are conditioned this way...

Last edited:
I mentioned educational system cos it seems we Singaporeans need to be taught formally how to do things before we can do it. Which was what the Australian report rightly pointed out.

Remember those campaigns? Since the early 80's, we've got courtesy campaigns (remember the yellow smiley face and the cute orange lion?), and campaigns not to spit indiscriminately! And we used to have campaigns to flush the toilets after use!

Till today, decades later, courtesy campaigns are still ongoing with Phua Chu Kang helping out but haha, with dismal results.

Yes, it could be due to suppression also. Being rude is a way of expressing our inner frustrations at the restricted lifestyle in Singapore where freedom of speech and rights is tightly controlled. It's also the crazy way of life here -- Everything has to be done quickly, regardless of considering the needs of others, or you will lose out, aka the kiasu mentality.

The reaction of that aussie guy could be a reaction of cultural shock. Just like the "cultural shock reaction" we have here pertaining to the way he expressed his experience here.

Just like you I got a cultural shock when I was in Perth. They give way, they hold the door, they said "See you later" which I tot the salegirl was interested with me and wanna meet up later. Stupidly I waited. :bsmilie: