Simple way to clean ur optics

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is a really bad idear. acetone will demage some kind of coating. and also burn your skin. beware it.

Coating in UV filter has been already mixed inside glass element while making. So, it's very unlikely coating will get damaged during cleaning filter optic's surface.

Hi Mr Jelly,

I think you got some misinfo here. UV coatings(coated) and most of the multi-coats are not mixed into glass. UV coating and Anti-reflection coats are really coats - usually vapour deposition or similar....Which can and will come off if wrong cleaning solution is used. Even those cheapo packaged alcohol swipes are good enough to remove these coatings.

Acetone is not a good choice. I would advice not to make such recommendations.

rgds,
Sulhan

Erm, I say the simplest way to clean is still with a jumbo blower and a LensPen. I totally swear by it. Removes even nasty greasy fingerprints on Hoya filters (which have a reputation of being "hard to clean"). A total no-brainer.

Last edited:
The thg abt lenspen is that it leaves behind carbon powder. I swear by my Pentax CCD cleaner. Sticking action minimizes the risk of scratches and no chemical to damage the coating - simple and effective, for stubborn dust particles and even finger prints.
http://shashinki.com/shop/pentax-im...ficial-pentax-sensor-cleaning-tool-p-602.html
It's really the safest and most effective tool I had used so far. Though it may be a bit hard to find in Singapore, I think more people should be made aware of such a product.

Last edited:
The LensPen Sensor Klear sensor cleaner does not contain any carbon powder, but I use that only to clean CCD. The Pentax cleaner does look like it's worth checking out. Thanks!

Acetone is a big no no! I use it quite often, it is quite nasty to plastics. When you rub it on your optics, there will be vapour coming off it. The stuff you work with might be resistant to the fumes, I doubt the plastic in the camera lenses are.

One thing you forgot to mention. You need to use a blower first. This is to get rid of any small particles that may scratch the lens, or the coatings. Try putting some sand on glass and rubbing it.

Isopropanol is a good idea, I find that ethanol works quite well. I have HPLC grade of both. :D

Think twice about acetone:

One solvent to avoid or to use with great care is Acetone. It's very, very good at removing grease. However it's also very, very good at dissolving plastics and paint. It's also difficult to find commercially in a pure form. Unless you have a surface so badly contaminated that Methanol won't clean it, I'd avoid Acetone. However if you get something like tar on the glass (how you'd do that, I don't know), then Acetone might be the only thing that will remove it. You might also want to avoid household glass cleaners (like Windex), which may contain things like ammonia and dyes. If you want to be safe, stick with the commercially available lens cleaning fluids (see below).

Read the whole thing.

informations are quite enlightening and helpful. Thz for all comments. I take note.

Apologies to dig this out then, but where can one get their hands on some decent alcohol (I don't think commoners like us can get our hands on "HLPC" types.

Was wondering if those sold in Guardian would suffice for casual wipes (I still stick to Eclipse for my lens for safety)

Apologies to dig this out then, but where can one get their hands on some decent alcohol (I don't think commoners like us can get our hands on "HLPC" types.

Was wondering if those sold in Guardian would suffice for casual wipes (I still stick to Eclipse for my lens for safety)

Not to sure. You must make sure it is purely ethanol and water. Some of them are mixed with other chemicals.

Wonder if really pure vodka would work....

Daiso has some lens MF cloths that are very high in quality. I've worked with a lot of microfiber manufacturers in the past and the lens microfiber towels in Daiso are more than sufficient. All you need is a small spritz bottle of distilled water and a couple of MFs and you'll be good to go no matter where you are.

i'm using a lx3 here. if i have some dust and some fingerprints on the lens, i can just get the MF cloth from Daiso and wipe it with a bit of water ar?

i'm using a lx3 here. if i have some dust and some fingerprints on the lens, i can just get the MF cloth from Daiso and wipe it with a bit of water ar?

Water will not work well on fingerprints, since those have oil on them.

Lenspen for me.. Else I use Lenspens Micro Fibre Cloth.. And Blower for dust.. I always avoid wet cleaning but if I must I usually get those that sells in Cathay I think 10 bucks one bottle seems to be safe.. Guess there is a mixture of a bit dunno how much of alcohol in it..

I have recently bought a set of cheapo lens cleaning kit ($4.90) from Mustafa and have been using the kit lens cleaning lotion for awhile now...so far so good but dunno whether will it damage the lens coating in the long run :dunno:

The thg abt lenspen is that it leaves behind carbon powder. I swear by my Pentax CCD cleaner. Sticking action minimizes the risk of scratches and no chemical to damage the coating - simple and effective, for stubborn dust particles and even finger prints.
http://shashinki.com/shop/pentax-im...ficial-pentax-sensor-cleaning-tool-p-602.html
It's really the safest and most effective tool I had used so far. Though it may be a bit hard to find in Singapore, I think more people should be made aware of such a product.

$125RM is pretty ex just for a simple lens cleaner...

The nature of my job requires frequent use of Acetone.

It can "melt" plastic. Think about this, my gloves tear easily after come in contact with Acetone!

At worst case i encountered, I use blower (to remove particles that may cause scratches), cloth (those that can absorb oil stain, spectacle lens cloth is good), cleaning solution (KODAK) and cloth (same type as before) then finally blower.

My friend tried to wash the oil stain by water and ended up leaving ugly water mark on the filter even though he has dried the water before keeping in the dry box.

BTW, st field, I never touch the lens front element and strictly hold the filter by its rim only.

Rgds,
Joe

what does the "kit" include? i thought it's just the lenspen itself? and is $22 the market price??

Just bought lenspen kit at courts last Saturday at $22, also picked up a SensorKlear from lenspen for $8 (normal $18) at the same time. Should last me for a while :)

http://www.lenspen.com/
http://www.lenspen.com/403/377/

Must be refering to the propak1 bought it at courts for $19.90..

Now they increase to $22..

The propak1 includes lenspen microfibre cloth, the lenspen lp1, lenspen mini, lenspen digiklear, lenspen for mobile phone lens..

Cathay sells this set for $39.90

Status
Not open for further replies.