Simpily Red

bkkoo78

Oct 13, 2010

Sentosa by BKKOO, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

I'm hoping to get some critique and suggestions with composition and PP

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I wish to improve my PP skills, how sure if you guys can see there is actually 2 pictures that 1 join together.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

NA

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I felt that the picture is distracting as there are 2 subjects, the train and the waterfall...

Please advise on how to make the picture better.

Quite easy to spot with an experienced eye :), the slow shutter speed for the waterfall will result in a "ghost" train as well. Unless the train is static.
Anyway, the entire waterfall looks out-of-place. I can see traces of cut-and-paste + perspective issue - train to too large, making the waterfall look miniature.

Having 2 subjects is not the only issue, the empty sky space to the top-left is also distracting.
I find the entire photo frankenstien - any reason to paste the waterfall there at all?

Quite easy to spot with an experienced eye :), the slow shutter speed for the waterfall will result in a "ghost" train as well. Unless the train is static.
Anyway, the entire waterfall looks out-of-place. I can see traces of cut-and-paste + perspective issue - train to too large, making the waterfall look miniature.

Having 2 subjects is not the only issue, the empty sky space to the top-left is also distracting.
I find the entire photo frankenstien - any reason to paste the waterfall there at all?

Thanks for your comments.

Hmmm... actually the waterfall is actually very small only... I wanted the waterfall taken with a train but not with the waterfall frozen.

Last edited:
I think it looks weird. Maybe better if the train was substituted by a snake ;p

So which is the subject? what are you trying to tell your audiences?

I won't comment how great or bad this shot is but here are my suggestions on this shot:

1. a wider shot might be better
  2. photo abit flat. a more vibrant shot would be better, but too bad it was backlit.
  3. the rock in the middle of the frame stood out awkwardly. it is as though it was pasted in.
  4. the white spot on the bottom left and that thing that is sticking out of the water (beneath the rock) could be cloned away.